Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20180621_GIA.jpg

Interview with Br. Akabae, 

life story of the most senior Salesian Brother of Japan 

By Our Own Correspondent

Tokyo, Japan, 18 June 2018 -- Don Bosco son from “Kakure Kirishtan” family in Nagasaki

What makes you happy in Chofu community?

Thanks to God, until this age I’m still able to contribute to our community. Now for past 15 years in Chofu I’m here looking after the large garden. I’m happy because the community entrusted this task to me. It gives me joy at the age of 89!

What is the secret of your good health until this age?

I didn’t believe to able live until today. When I was 15 years old, almost my whole family perished through the Nagasaki nuclear bomb on August 9,1945. From a large family of four Brothers and 5 Sisters only myself and my brother did survived. When I was young boy, 13 years old, I started to work as fishermen and during the nuclear bomb accident I was on the fishing ship far away on the open sea. In this way I have survived. After the (Pacific) war we were poor, but we believed that God lead me and my brother to become Salesians. As posterity of ‘Kakure Kirishitan’ [NB: Hidden Christians from the Nagasaki region who survived the 275 years long persecution], but until today I had never idea to leave the religious vocation! After the war, when I lost my parents, I could not follow forget this sorrow, but little by little the contagious Salesian joy changed my life and I have overcome that deep sorrow.

How was born your Salesian vocation?

Before my initial formation as aspirant, novice in Miyazaki my elder brother was already seminarian. When he visited the family he invited me: ‘Come and follow me!’ When I visited the Salesian house, I was welcome and offered a big party. Yes, I liked that spirit! Also in our house after the war was nothing, and in the Salesian house I got a lot! I followed my brother! But my brother told me: ‘You smoke too much, you can’t follow!’ - But I resisted. That year was open the Salesian Hyuga School in Miyazaki. And I was given the chance to study or to join the Congregation: ‘If you just like to read and write you can join as Salesian Brother. If you like to study more, you need to enroll the school’. I gave myself fully to Don Bosco and started my service as cook and gardener. In this way started my vocation in Miyazaki Salesian community. After 4 months of Salesian experience I was home sick and I reflected: ‘No superiors send me out’ and I felt very bad, and start to pray the Rosary every day. I realized: ‘Maybe If I return home I can’t go to heaven! Then I asked my elder brother for advice. And he told me ‘Come back’ and I have returned. Since that time with the help of God and trust in Mary I can live faithfully my vocation until now for past 69 years! [=first profession 1949]

Salesian house memory you treasure most?

I would not chose any house now. I’m always happy with the place God through the superiors send me. Until now, after first profession I was sent to Chofu for 3 years, when this house was started. Then I spent 39 years in Tokyo – Kodaira orphanage and then 11 years in Nakatsu Boys home. In 2003 Fr. Orlando Puppo sent me here to Chofu and until now I’m member of this community. Every day I’m waiting for the call from heaven. I’m prepared and ready to go to meet Don Bosco in heaven any time!

Any advice to the young Salesians?

Don’t’ have any special advice, since we are living in a family. Just one thing – ‘don’t gossip, please’! This is the most important for building a good community and family spirit.

Who is your favorite Salesian saint?

Saint Antonio is my Patron, but he is not a Salesian :) - and then Fr. Vincent Cimatti! Since the Miyazaki Aspirantate (minor seminary) times I treasure his memory. I can’t forget his early morning prayer in the chapel, when he took off his shoes in order not to wake up other Salesians in the convent before the raising time. Especially Don Cimatti was every time very joyful and very attentive to our families. He often asked me about the health of my family members.

20180621_GIA1.jpg

20180621_GIA2.jpg

20180621_GIA3.jpg

20180621_GIA4.jpg

20180621_GIA5.jpg

20180621_GIA6.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4775(I)_Share What did you Learn - Don Bosco Preventive System

New teachers are meeting the heart of Don Bosco in Hua Hin By Bro. John Baptist Thanad, SDB Hua Hin, Thailand, 24 June 2018 -- Thai Salesian Province held the Seminar in Hua Hin house for our new teachers. There were 64 teachers, coming fro...
    Date2018.07.01 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views882 file
    Read More
  2. 4774(II)_Lahore celebrates the birthday of the Bosconian Martyr

By Fr. Noble Lal, SDB Lahore, Pakistan -- Last June 26, 2018 we participated in the birthday celebrations of Pakistani Martyr Akash Bashir (2015) former student of Don Bosco School in Lahore, Pakistan. The Christian community was gathered i...
    Date2018.06.29 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views1196 file
    Read More
  3. 4774(I)_20th Edition of Festa Junina Hamamatsu

Brasilian Catholics in Japan celebrates Festa Junina By Hamamatsu Brasilian Catholic Community Hamamatsu, Japan, 24 June 2018 -- Last weekend, June 23-24 was celebrated the 20th edition of FESTA JUNINA, a traditional feast of Brasilian Cath...
    Date2018.06.29 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1400 file
    Read More
  4. 4773_Fr. Jacob Hamaguchi appointed as the 14th Provincial of Japan

By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 28 June 2018 -- After the recent consultation for the new Provincial the Rector Major with the consent of his council appointed on 28th June 2018 Fr Jacob Hideaki HAMAGUCHI as the 14th Provincial of Japan for t...
    Date2018.06.28 CategoryRMG Reply3 Views4006 file
    Read More
  5. 4772(II)_Listen and accompany the young people in faith a vocation

Working document of 2018 Bishop's Synod By Our Own Correspondent Vatican, 27 June 2018 -- One week after the official publication of the 2018 Synod of Bishops about 'Youth - Faith - Vocation Discernment' Instrumentum Laboris, today was fina...
    Date2018.06.28 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1005 file
    Read More
  6. 4772(I)_Fiji Diocesan Synod - focus on the Youth

By Nov. Afi’a Enosa Suva, Fiji, 24 June 2018 -- This is a wonderful opportunity to share with you some of the recent events that happen in Fiji - Suva! Synod of the Archdiocese of Fiji The Archdiocesan Youth Rally took place on the weekend ...
    Date2018.06.28 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views4133 file
    Read More
  7. 4771(II)_The first Superior of Indonesia Vice-Province appointed

Fr. Andrew WONG, the mobile Salesian! By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 26 June 2018 -- After the consultation for the Superior of INA Viceprovince the Rector Major with the consent of his council appointed on 26th June 2018 Fr Andrew WONG as t...
    Date2018.06.27 CategoryRMG Reply1 Views8137 file
    Read More
  8. 4771(I)_Gratitude and challenge, 60 years of ministry in Tang King Po School

85th Birthday Celebration of Br. John Baptist Chu Sek Yan By Our Own Correspondent Hong Kong, 24 June 2018 -- On the eve of Solemnity of St. John the Baptist, June 23rd, the grateful Alumni of Don Bosco from Tang King Po School, Oratories a...
    Date2018.06.27 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1045 file
    Read More
  9. 4770(III)_A Mysterious beginning of Salesian and priestly life

Silver Jubilee of presbyterial ordination and religious profession By Fr. Anthony Kishore Minj, SDB Darkhan, Mongolia, 24 June 2018 -- With great Jubilation Auxilium Parish Darkhan celebrated the 25th anniversary of priestly ordination of F...
    Date2018.06.25 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views1216 file
    Read More
  10. 4770(II)_Vocation within Salesian education

How to foster vocation culture in Indonesia? By Fr. Paulus Anggara, SDB UPS, ROME, 24 June 2018 -- Just few days ago Fr. Paulus Anggara, one of the three Indonesia delegation (INA) students at the UPS (Salesian Pontifical University) in Rom...
    Date2018.06.25 CategoryINA Reply0 Views1222 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 ... 539 Next
/ 539