PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 2866 Comment 1

20151224_PGS.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! December 24 for PGS

By Fr. Stefano Vanoli, SDB
Secretary General

Rome, Italy - On December 23, the last day of the 2015 General Council session was approved the erection of the new Vice-province of Blessed Philip Rinaldi ‘Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands (PGS)’. The long awaited recognition brings the number of the East Asia – Oceania Region Circumscriptions to eleven: eight Provinces and three Vice-provinces. ITM Vice-province was erected in 1998 and Myanmar Vice-province was created in 2004.

During the recent visit of the Rector Major in the Delegation of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands it was clear that after 35 years of the Salesian presence times are mature for the erection of the Vice-province. (Cfr. AustraLasia news 3595, May 2, 2015)

Last June 11 the Rector Major and his Council approved the timeline for the erection of the Vice-province: Report of the Delegate PNG-SI about the State of the Delegation (September), Canonical visit of the FIN provincial (October), Request of the FIN provincial for the erection of the Vice-province (November), Consultation to the confreres of PNG-SI Delegation (December) and finally the approval for the erection of the new Vice-province by the Rector Major and his council (C156).

Salesian presence in Papua New Guinea started in 1980 and the PNG Delegation was started in 1994 (FIN). In March 2005 were attached the two communities of Solomon Islands (GIA province mission was started in 1995) and the present Delegation of PNG-SI was created. Over the years the service of the Delegate-Superior was entrusted to Fr. Valeriano Barbero (1994-1997, 2001-2004), Fr. Francesco Panfilo (1997-2001), Fr. Luciano Odorico (2005-2007), Fr. Rafael Galve (2008-2013) and finally to Fr. Peter Baquero (2014-2016).

The need for the growth from the Delegation towards the Vice-province was already discussed and grew mature at various occasions: Assembly of PNG-SI Delegation (2006, 2010, 2013), Recommendations after the Extraordinary Visitations (2004, 2010) as well as during the Provincial Chapters of the FIN province (2010, 2013).

According the Report of the PNG-SI Delegate (October 2015) there are 8 communities (6 in PNG and 2 in SI) and 43 confreres (2 bishops, 32 priests, 3 Salesian brothers, 6 candidates to the priesthood in initial formation) and one novice. Another 8 confreres are temporarily transferred to the Delegation from other provinces (1 Priest, 1 Brother and 6 practical trainees). There is a variety of 16 nationalities: 13 Filipinos, 11 Vietnamese, 8 Indians, 5 PNG - SI nationals, 2 Italians, 2 Spaniards, 1 from Angola, Congo, East Timor, Ecuador, Indonesia, Kenya, Korea, Sri Lanka and Switzerland.

In the recent consultation the PNG-SI confreres expressed their suggestions for the growth of the Salesian Charism in the future Vice-province. At the top of their ‘wish-list’ we find a stability of Salesian personnel, effort for ongoing inculturation of the Salesian Charism, consistent vocation promotion and accompaniment of local confreres, qualifications of the confreres and constant need to send new missionaries.

There are still few more steps until the full swing of the new PNG-SI Vice province – next April during the extraordinary visitation to the FIN province will be held the consultation for the first Superior of the new PGS (Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands) Vice-province and after the appointment of the first Superior in the June session of the General Council will follow the installation of the first Superior of the new Vice-province in early July 2016.

20151224_PGS1.jpg

20151224_PGS2.jpg

20151224_PGS3.jpg

20151224_PGS4.jpg

20151224_PGS5.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • vaclav 2015.12.24 22:29
    Dear Confreres,

As I extend my Christmas greetings to you, I am also announcing the good news that the Rector Major and his Council has approved yesterday (23 December 2015) the elevation of PNG-SI Delegation into the new status of a Vice Province.  I received this great news early this morning via email from Fr. Klement and a Viber message from Fr. Provincial.  Blessed Philip Rinaldi is taken as the Patron Saint of our new Vice Province

Fr. Maria Arokiam Kanaga, SDB, Regional Councillor for South Asia, will be conducting the Extraordinary Visitation on FIN Province in 2016.  We are still included as a Delegation of FIN Province (as yet).  Particularly, he is scheduled to be in the Delegation from April 19 - May 16, 2016.  He has already sent some preliminary guidelines for his visit.  But I shall elaborate this matter in my next communication and during the 1st Rectors' Meeting in February 2016.

However, during this Extraordinary Visitation of Fr. Kanaga, he will carry out the consultation for the New Superior of our Vice Province.  As scheduled, the new Superior will be appointed by the Rector Major and his Council during their summer plenary meeting (June-July).  We hope to have the Installation of our New Superior of the Vice Province during our Delegation (Provincial) Day on9th July 2016.

I am also making it known that recently, on the 11th December 2015, the Rector Major and his Council approved the canonical erection of the Salesian Community of DBTI.  We shall make a consultation soon for the Rector of DBTI.

Truly, this Christmas has come with a special blessing for us in the Delegation.  Surely, it comes with a call for a deeper commitment.  This evening, recalling God's wondrous love for us thru His incarnation in Jesus Christ, may we too be inspired to "incarnate" God's love and mercy to our local people and to "incarnate" Don Bosco's charism in these two countries entrusted to our care.

As we face a new enthusiasm in the erection of our Vice Province, let us not forget to thank our pioneers, the previous superiors and past confreres who have toiled so much in order that we can have something to build-on today.  At the same time, allow me to thank each one of you for your dedication and sacrifices in carrying out the tasks given to you.  I believe the growth of our Delegation springs from the silent witness and hardwork of every confrere in our various settings.

May Blessed Philip Rinaldi be our constant intercessor and guide in our missionary endeavors. I have remembered all of you in my prayers as I presided over the Vigil Mass this evening.  Please continue to pray for me.  Merry Christmas!

In Don Bosco,

Fr. Peter Baquero, SDB

1. 4847(III)_Discerning for a Life of Service

Wantok Bosco 2018 By Ms. Jessa Mariel Dela Peña Photos: Jessa Mariel Dela Peña, Palep Bigiglen, Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 9 September 2018 -- Bosconians from Salesians schools came together for the first Wantok Bosco celeb...
    Date2018.09.11 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1769 file
    Read More
  2. 4847(II)_For ever with Don Bosco for the young

The Perpetual profession of Cl. Dominic Trần Đức Thành, SDB, Vietnamese missionary in Uruguay By Fr. John Baptist Trần Ngọc Phát, SDB Montevideo, Uruguay -- On September 8, 2018, the Salesian Province of Uruguay (Montevideo - URU) celebrate...
    Date2018.09.11 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1184 file
    Read More
  3. 4847(I)_I love you, Salesians!

We, Salesian Cooperator, dream about Salesian who has always time for the young! By Mr. Wichai Srisura, ASC Bangkok Thailand, 3 September 2018 -- In his letter dated May 24, 2018 Fr. Angel Ferndandez Artime convoked the 28th General Chapter...
    Date2018.09.11 CategoryASC Reply0 Views633 file
    Read More
  4. 4846(II)_"We run for the blind!"

Privileged to run together with the blind in Thailand - 6th edition By Bro. Joseph Suwan, SDB Bangkok, Thailand, 9 September 2018 -- Last Saturday was organized already the 6th edition of the "Run for the Blind". This running event was orga...
    Date2018.09.10 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1314 file
    Read More
  5. 4846(I)_Three challenges to the Salesian Cooperators in Thailand North East

Salesian Cooperators are growing in the North East of Thailand By Our Own Correspondent Udonthani, Thailand, 9 September 2018 -- In the Sunday afternoon of September 9 some 25 Salesian Cooperators of North East of Thailand gathered in Don B...
    Date2018.09.10 CategoryASC Reply0 Views985 file
    Read More
  6. 4845(II)_The face of new Salesian missionaries 2018

The new missionary course of the 149th expedition started at Sacro Cuore By Cl. Paul Bao, SDB (VIE) RMG, 9 September 2018 -- Four weeks before the 149th Salesian Missionary Expedition (Valdocco, September 30) the new missionaries are alread...
    Date2018.09.09 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1477 file
    Read More
  7. 4845(I)_Join hands in serving the youth of Laos

15 years of dedicated service to Lao youth By Our Own Correspondent Vientiane, Laos, 8 September 2018 -- Since last 2004, more than 1000 young people from all corners of Lao PDR (Peoples Democratic Republic) received a good preparation for ...
    Date2018.09.09 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1062 file
    Read More
  8. 4844(II)_Salesians are following the path of fidelity

Rector major's greeting as GC28 fast approaches By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 8 September 2018 -- On the Feastday of Nativity of Our Lady, September 8, the Rector Major, Fr. Angel Fernandez Artime released his letter included in the Acts of...
    Date2018.09.08 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1329 file
    Read More
  9. 4844(I)_Salesian Youth serving Youth - FIS 2018-2019 Leadership

Newly elected Salesian Youth Movement (FIS) 2018-2019 By FIS SC Cebu, the Philippines, 7 September 2018 -- Don Bosco Technical College-Cebu Inc., 01 September 2018. A SALESIAN YOUTH MOVEMENT is basically a movement that is for the young and...
    Date2018.09.08 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1010 file
    Read More
  10. 4843_Vibrant Salesian community of Hua Hin Salesian school

At the heart of large educative - pastoral community of Hua Hin By Our Own Correspondent Hua Hin, Thailand, 6 September 2018 -- After seventy years from foundation of Salesian school in Hua Hin, thousands of Past Pupils spread the voice abo...
    Date2018.09.07 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1410 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 ... 537 Next
/ 537