?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20160422_CIN.jpg

Spiritual accompaniment IV

By Fr. Carlos Cheung, SDB

Today’s sharing is by Fr. Carlos Cheung, native from Macau, ordained in 2015, he works at Aberdeen Technical School in Hong Kong, China as the catechist for boarders and day students at the school. At the provincial level he is also responsible for promoting Salesian vocation.

As a young Salesian in the process of formation, you sought spiritual direction from Jesuits. Could you share with us such experience and the fruits?

The Spiritual Direction course I went through was based on the Spiritual Exercise, which Don Bosco would go through once a year in his annual retreat. The course was led by a Rector in cooperation with 3 lay mission partners at a Jesuit retreat house in Cheung Chau, Hong Kong. Although Salesians have their own spirituality, the Spiritual Exercise of St. Ignatius Loyola is one of the reference points in Don Bosco’s Spirituality (Giuseppe Buccellato, Alle Radici Della Spiriualita di San Giovanni Bosco).

The psycho-dynamic approach was adopted in the course. It made us aware of our emotions. In the Spiritual Exercise of St. Ignatius, one is invited to contemplate Jesus, and, through our emotions to cherish, taste and discover the inner world of ourselves and of Jesus. What are the inner dynamics of Jesus? What is his desire? What am I going to say to him?

In human relations, we are used to predict or be in touch with the thoughts of the others. Sometimes we care so much what people think of ourselves and whether we would be accepted or not. Are we being understood? From here we become aware of the dynamism of our emotions and such dynamics are the subject matter of spiritual direction, which shows us the way to realize and respond to the presence of God in our life experience of the past and the present.

As a young priest, do you feel confident to accompany others in their spiritual journey?

I myself am accompanied by my spiritual guide regularly, and was supervised during the practicum of the spiritual direction course. First and foremost, those who would be interested to offer the service of spiritual direction, should receive spiritual direction on a regular basis. If a spiritual director has never achieved his own spiritual growth, he would not be a competent guide in the spiritual journeys of the others. Therefore, young priests still need regular spiritual guidance for their spiritual maturity, which will be of help to the service of spiritual direction.

Secondly, in spiritual direction, one is to explore oneself in the mystery of God as this is a process of self-discovery. It is essential that we should have understand of our emotions. It is always through our own emotions to identify our motivation and beliefs, which might hinder us in our daily lives. If we are able to articulate our emotions, then there will be room for the spiritual journey of directing oneself and the others. Thus, I would suggest that confreres in initial formation should develop the sensitivity to our inner world. This will be very helpful to develop one’s capacity sufficiently for providing spiritual direction in future.

In a typical Salesian way the community and personal spiritual accompaniment go hand in hand?

In a typical Salesian environment, the community and personal spiritual direction can never be separated from each other. The community spiritual dimension, Faith Sharing and Lectio Divina in particular, enriches one’s personal and spiritual growth while the personal dimension includes the personal accompaniment, Friendly Talk, in which the directee can explore his journey of faith to recognize his talents and to identify his difficulties.

The community and personal spiritual direction can be mutually enriched for the same goal of experiencing the presence of God. In the life of Don Bosco, the watchword of Mamma Margaret,“God sees us”, becomes the reminder given to the Oratorians by our founder. Therefore, I believe only through the experience of the Oratory by sharing and openness towards the Lord and the others, we would be motivated to move towards the presence of God so as to make Don Bosco’s way of spiritual direction successful and youthful.

Recalling the experience of the monthly vocation camp for young people organized by “Vocation Office” (formed by Salesians in initial formation and Lay Mission Partners) it includes theme activity, faith sharing, personal spiritual accompaniment and community prayers, Eucharist and Soccer game, We came to realize a vocation camp that is promoting “Vocation Culture” to assist young people for making decision on their future; community activity and personal accompaniment should go together.

How is the passage from the formation house to the first full apostolic experience at the Aberdeen Technical School (=ATS) in Hong Kong?

Spiritual direction can never be separated from “Experience” in our Salesian context. Our vocation is a call to respond to the love of God through our daily experience with the young, and what I have been experiencing is living with 4 confreres, 5 aspirants and 120 boarders at ATS. Our boarding section was relaunched 4 years ago and a third of the students have Special Education Needs, including Autism, Learning difficulties and Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder - a true periphery for God's mercy! After my priestly ordination, in obedience to my superior, I come to be the catechist for both boarders and day students, the assistant for the aspirants and the coordinator of Vocation Office in China province.

Compared with my past experience in the formation house, my current life pattern has changed. Besides my service of teaching and organizing catechism classes and various activities at the school, I take care of the boarders and the aspirants. In the meantime, our vocation office offers monthly vocation camp organised by young Salesians. My responsibility demands lots of energy and creativity and I find this a meaningful invitation to follow Jesus, the Good Shepherd.

Some advice to the young Salesians or the candidates to the Salesian consecrated life?

Entering a new stage of life from the period of initial formation, I remember the following reminders, which has been given to me when I was an aspirant:

Be Generous: Our Salesian vocation is a response to the love of God. This divine love urges us to respond to our Salesian vocation with generosity. The more generous we are, the more love of God we experience. I believe young people can be transformed when we always carry out our daily duties with generosity.

Be Open: Our Salesian vocation requires our openness to the Spirit to go on in our journey of faith, hope and love in our life. Openness makes us genuine and sincere to listen to the voice of the Spirit. This goal is also shared by our spiritual accompaniment. I suggest a candidate should have a steady spiritual director who would help him to open up to follow in Don Bosco’s footsteps.

Conversion: To preserve our Salesian vocation, we must begin the journey of conversion. We all need to be converted with regard to our relationship with the Lord, our fraternal community life and our service to the young. If we want to be the effective evangelizers of the young, our conversion is necessary.

20160422_CIN1.jpg

20160422_CIN2.jpg

20160422_CIN3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4868(II)_We educate for change, but our mission remains constant

Lux Mundi and Salesianum in Sam Phran By THA SC Hatyai, Thailand, 2 October 2018 -- Father Bancha Kitprasert, the Rector of Saengthong Vitthaya School, Hatyai, Songkhla, Thailand, has been working in one of the Don Bosco missions, dedicatin...
    Date2018.10.03 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1002 file
    Read More
  2. 4868(I)_Intercultural Salesian formation house in Sampran

Lux Mundi and Salesianum in Sampran By Fr Anthony Boonlert, SDB Sampran, Thailand, 1 October 2018 -- For the past 40 years the Salesianum in Sampran has been the best (and only!) Salesian formation house in Thailand. There are three buildin...
    Date2018.10.03 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1790 file
    Read More
  3. 4867(III)_Go out to share Christ with all!

Towards the 150th Salesian Missionary Expedition (2019) By Fr. Jaroslav Vracovsky, SDB Mongolia Delegation (VIE) Turin, Italy, 1 October 2018 -- Maybe some of you watched on the internet streaming the 149th Salesian Missionary Expedition Eu...
    Date2018.10.02 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views1014 file
    Read More
  4. 4867(II)_Starting the missionary month afresh with St Thérèse of the Child Jesus

Quarterly recollection and ongoing formation in Hong Kong By Provincial Secretary CIN Hong Kong, 1 October 2018 -- The feast of St Thérèse of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face, Patroness of the Missions. As a whole, China celebrates Nationa...
    Date2018.10.02 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views102941 file
    Read More
  5. 4867(I)_“Lord, send me.”

Regional Councillor visits to FMA in Sam Phran By Sr. Imelda FMA Sam Phran, Thailand, 29 September 2018 -- Fr Vacalav Klement, Regional Councillor for East Asia Oceania, met the community at the school run by the Daughters of Mary Help of C...
    Date2018.10.02 CategoryFMA Reply1 Views1451 file
    Read More
  6. 4866(II)_We are in the hands of God and walking with Jesus

149th Salesian missionary expedition LIVE broadcasting By Our Own Correspondent Turin, Italy, 30 September 2018 -- Twenty five new SDB and eleven new FMA missionaries are just a small group of the 11.500 SDB and 4.500 FMAwho were sent from ...
    Date2018.09.30 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1348 file
    Read More
  7. 4866(I)_Lord, send me!

Salesian Missionary Intention - October 2018 By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 30 September 2018 -- For the Salesians and other consecrated individuals in the Salesian Family. Every month the entire Salesian Family is invited to pray for some s...
    Date2018.09.30 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views690 file
    Read More
  8. 4865_Each coffee bean can tell a story!

Three loves: Don Bosco - Coffee - Poor Youth By Fr Philip Somchai, SDB Chiang Mai, Thailand, 28 September 2018 -- More than 20 years after graduating from Don Bosco Technical School in Bangkok, Mr Phaisan, from a rather poor family backgrou...
    Date2018.09.29 CategoryEXDB Reply1 Views1545 file
    Read More
  9. 4864(II)_A new missionary frontier in the North of Thailand?

Chiang Mai Bishop's Salesian Dream By Our Own Correspondent Chiang Mai, Thailand, 27 September 2018 -- The Salesians of Don Bosco have been in Chiang Mai, in Thailand's north, since 2004, first with the Catechetical Center at Mae Rim and th...
    Date2018.09.28 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views987 file
    Read More
  10. 4864(I)_This will get you through

An interview and personal sharing with Raymond Pythias, Lodge 10 Manager By Fr Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 27 September 2018 -- Salesian Past-pupil Raymond Pythias was born on 29January 1978. He attended Don Bosco Technical Scho...
    Date2018.09.28 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views1189 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 ... 537 Next
/ 537