austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20181203_AUL.jpg

By Michael Gartland

Safety Beach, Victoria, Australia, 2 December 2018 -- Years of planning and construction finally came to a head on Sunday the 2nd of December 2018 as the Don Bosco Camp and Centre in Safety Beach, south of the city of Melbourne, on Port Philip Bay, celebrated the grand opening of its new buildings. These new buildings will be instrumental in allowing the camp and centre to evolve its mission further; adding a range of new services to its repertoire, such as catering for a full school year level, or more niche interests such as band or sports camps.

Bunurong Elder Uncle Shane Clarke officially opened the day’s events at 10:30am with a Welcome to Country and smoking ceremony, explaining that the three different types of leaf used represented mothers, current mob and children respectively. “When they are fused together through smoke, it is very significant” he said; past present and future are brought together as one. Incidentally, it was also a very apt description of the group gathered; around 200 people of all ages attended the day, some who had been to the camp 30 years ago, some who still frequently came to the campsite and still more who are yet to reach the age old enough for camp!

Afterwards, the group made its way into the shiny, unscuffed gymnasium, which had been set up to host the Mass, led by the Provincial, Fr Will Matthews. In his homily, he spoke fondly of his own experiences as a young brother still learning English and had been reluctantly sent to the beach-side camp during a cold and wet winter, only to come to understand just how special the place is. “When I came down I was a bit depressed and didn’t know what to expect…but while I was down here, when I was here for camp I had the best time of my life. I made so many new friends, and I learnt so much from my new friends.”

The Mass was a beautiful expression of thanksgiving; the acoustics of the new room greatly amplified the already stunning beauty that Bronwyn Dean and her extended band had brought into the mix. As the ceremony ended, Fr Will and Fr Bernie Graham (Chair of the Camp and Centre Board) both expressed their thanks to a range of stakeholders. They then blessed the buildings, with branches that had been broken from a local tree.

With the formalities completed, the festivities begun in earnest with lunch in the form of a barbeque feast put on by camp chef Suzie Burns, Assistant manager Dom Stephens, Ellen Hogbin and camp handyman Tom Steele. Unfortunately, the previous manager, Steph Wood, could not make it to the day, however her presence was certainly felt; she had put in a massive effort to begin, plan and oversee the beginning phases of construction.

The day then took on the feel of a festival as live-music, games, jumping castles, arts and craft, face painting and dancing were on offer for all participants as they wished. These were run and organised by the camp’s Youth Leaders. Tours of the new buildings were available all day, showing off the spectacular new gymnasium, chapel, multi-purpose hall, conference room and offices. In true Don Bosco spirit, not even sudden rain could dampen the spirits, as the fun, joy and laughter echoed around the camp grounds.

Current Manager Paul Poutney was very impressed with how the day’s proceedings had gone. “This was an amazing opportunity for everyone who feels a real connection to the camp to be present and enjoy each other’s company one more time; life-long bonds have been made on these grounds.” He also reiterated what Fr Will and Fr Bernie had said, thanking “the current full-time staff and its wonderful volunteers who so often give so much of their time for the betterment of other people; and most significantly, young people.”

20181203_AUL0.jpg

20181203_AUL2.jpg

20181203_AUL3.jpg

20181203_AUL4.jpg

20181203_AUL5.jpg

20181203_AUL6.jpg

20181203_AUL7.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5162(II)_Wonderful… excellent … committed … joyful … respectful …wow!

Peer to Peer Exchange: Eastern Africa - Philippines 2019 By Harambee Link AFE Province (Nairobi) Cebu, the Philippines, 8 August 2019 -- These were some of the emotions expressed by the 12 delegates who have come from Tanzania (AFE province...
    Date2019.08.08 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views870 file
    Read More
  2. 5162(I)_Following up Chiang Mai Bishop's dream for the Salesians in Mae Hong Son province

Peer to Peer Exchange: Eastern Africa - Philippines 2019 By Bro. John Baptist Phaitoon, SDB Chiang Mai, Thailand, 6 August 2019 -- Over the last 3 days (4-6 August) Salesian Brother John Baptist Phaitoon went on the first visit to view a po...
    Date2019.08.08 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views941 file
    Read More
  3. 5161(II)_Caritas Sisters of Jesus visit the Canção Nova Evangelization Center

By Sr.Maria Urakawa, CSJ Sao Paolo, Brazil, 3 August 2019 -- After visiting the Shrine of Our Lady of Aparecida, the group of 34 Caritas Sisters of Jesus gathered for the 3rd International Mission Meeting taking place in Brazil - São Paulo....
    Date2019.08.07 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1151 file
    Read More
  4. 5161(I)_FMA Jubilarians celebrate in Thailand

By Prov. Sec. THA FMA Sam Phran, Thailand, 3 August 2019 -- In the Province of St. Mary Mazzarello of Thailand this year the feast of 5 August was brought forward to 3 August. Our Sister Jubilarians gathered at Sam Phran, Ban Than Phraphon....
    Date2019.08.07 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views1615 file
    Read More
  5. 5160(II)_Film Festival highlights Family Values

By Abigail Seta and Nigel Akuani Port Moresby, PNG, 3 August 2019 -- The Third International Short Film Festival 2019 (ISFF19) that was held on Saturday, 3 August at the Paradise Cinema, Vision City, Port Moresby. 220 students, parents, tea...
    Date2019.08.05 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1110 file
    Read More
  6. 5160(I)_Speak, Lord, your servant is listening

INA First Professions By Fr Peter Tukan, SDB Tigaraksa, Indonesia, 1st August 2019 -- This title is taken from the first book of Samuel (1 Sam 3:10), that is meaningful to the six newly professed Salesians from the Vice-Province of Indonesi...
    Date2019.08.05 CategoryINA Reply0 Views898 file
    Read More
  7. 5159(III)_Between Nazareth and Beitgemal

Venerable Salesian Brother Srugi By Fr Gianni Caputa, SDB Vice postulator of Venerable Simaan Srugi Holy Land, 4 August 2019 -- Brother Simaan (Simon) Srugi is among the less known and less explored holy members of the Salesian Family. He w...
    Date2019.08.04 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views766 file
    Read More
  8. 5159(II)_To know, to value and be grateful for the gift of Salesian Consecrated Secular Life

By Fr. Joan Lluis Playa, SDB Central Assistant VDB and CDB RMG, 4 August 2019 -- We are glad to share that a bi-monthly formation-animation newsletter on 'Salesian Secular Consecrated Life' has been published since February 2019 in the main...
    Date2019.08.04 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views836 file
    Read More
  9. 5159(I)_Renewal of Vows

By Fr Bernie Graham, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 2 August 2019 -- On Friday 2 August during the weekly celebration of the Community Day Eucharist Cl Duc Tran and Cl Joseph Vu renewed their Temporary Vows before Fr Bernie Graham, Vice Provinci...
    Date2019.08.04 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1466 file
    Read More
  10. 5158_Cambodia Delegation Assembly in Poipet

By Our Own Correspondent Poipet, Cambodia, 2 August 2019 -- One night in Poipet Don Bosco compound (Academic Primary and Secondary School, Private secondary technical school) with 530 students was the venue for the special Assembly of the C...
    Date2019.08.03 CategoryCamb. Reply1 Views1826 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 ... 537 Next
/ 537