austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20190904_FIN20.jpg

By Fr. Ramon Borja, SDB

Kuching, Malaysia, 4 September 2019 -- “When God closes a door, He opens a window.” I have heard of this saying a number of times before, but only now have I experienced it so true so strongly and so personally… In my case, it sounds more like “When God still keeps the door closed, He opens a window.” The door of having a Salesian school of our own here in Kuching remains closed, but God has opened a window for us to serve full-time in the Youth Commission of the Archdiocese. How can we not say “Terima kasih, oh Tuhan (Thank you very much, oh Lord)!”

We, the first (I use the adjective ‘first’ because I am very sure that we would be followed by more) SDBs sent here in Malaysia, in the Archdiocese of Kuching in Sarawak, have been here for more than two years now with the plan of putting up a skills training vocational school and boarding house to provide Catholic education and formation in the Don Bosco way. This we would do to the poor youth from the city and from the provinces all over. This institution will actually be owned by the Archdiocese but will be run by us Salesians. And up to now, this big and noble plan remains a dream.

Yes, we and the other stakeholders are doing our share in working for the realization of this significant endeavor, but for some factors, we still could not make it materialize. Among many factors, the land allocated for the project still needs to be under the name of the Archdiocese and, for some reasons, this is taking a very long time.

You see, this door, a school for us Salesians, remains still unopened.

Honestly, this makes me think sometimes that maybe God is not yet answering my ardent prayer of having our school here because He still wants to purify me and deepen my faith in Him, my devotion to Mary Help of Christians and St. John Bosco and my love for the Church and for the young. If only I have faith like that of a mustard seed….

But then, as we have said, God is making me realize that, indeed, “when He keeps a door closed, he also opens a window”. Since April of 2019, the Archbishop of Kuching, Most Reverend Simon Poh, has entrusted to us, Salesians, the animation of the Youth Commission in the whole of the big Archdiocese. We now run an office in the Archdiocesan Curia and Cathedral Pastoral Centre (ACCPC) with two very dedicated full-time youth ministers (Mariamella Will and Julian Christian Sim) and a good number of youth volunteers from all the parishes, chapel communities, schools and campuses.

We have been doing a lot of “journeying with the youth” here in the Archdiocese through a variety of youthful pastoral activities like Holy Masses, confessions, recollections, youth camps, Taize moments, praise and worship, formation sessions and… of course… a lot of bonding moments with them with or without mugs of coffee or milktea but always with smiles and kindness.

From 31 August 31 until 2 September, in fact, the Youth Commission organized this big gathering of around five hundred youth, servants and delegates from all the parishes and campuses, in celebration of the Kuching Archdiocese Youth Day 2019 with the theme SERVE… Thy word be done! #KAYD19serve. See them all have fun and welcome formation, watch them pray and praise in silence and in songs and shouts, witness them growing in friendship with one another and with Jesus and Mary, look at them serve with zeal and joy, hear their laughter, listen to their cries and feel their love. During those three grace-filled days (and the months and weeks and days prior to that for all the servants who did all the tedious preparations) you can really say that these young people are on fire! They burn with God’s love! And we, SDBs here, are witnesses and co-journeyers to these. What a wonderful window all these have been! To this we say… “Puji Tuhan (Praise the Lord)!”

PS…

And by the way, the Archdiocese has also provided us a newly renovated two-storey house as an SDB convent of our own… and we have been living there as confreres, praying together, eating together, since early August… and we have been opening our doors to the laity and youth for bonding with the Lord in our convent chapel and with one another in our living room as well. Puji Tuhan indeed!

20190904_FIN21.jpg

20190904_FIN22.jpg

20190904_FIN23.jpg

20190904_FIN24.jpg

20190904_FIN25.jpg

20190904_FIN26.jpg

20190904_FIN27.jpg

20190904_FIN28.jpg

20190904_FIN29.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5202(II)_Kiwi Bosco Youth Retreat

By Lauren Hichaaba AUL PDMA and Director of the Cagliero Project Massey, Auckland, New Zealand, 16 September 2019 -- This past weekend youth gathered from St. Paul’s Parish in Massey, Auckland, to celebrate their Kiwi Bosco Youth Retreat. T...
    Date2019.09.17 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1210 file
    Read More
  2. 5202(I)_Word and Life Publications at the 40th Manila International Book Fair

By Fr Durans Nolasco, SDB Pasay City, the Philippines, 15 September 2019 -- The annual Manila International Book Fair (MIBF) was held at the SMX Convention Center from September 11 to 15, 2019. Now on its 40th year, this MIBF is one of the ...
    Date2019.09.17 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views7042 file
    Read More
  3. 5201(IV)_Mystery of God's call

Vietnamese vocation story By Br. John La Thanh Long, SDB Vietnamese missionary to Brazil Rome, Italy, 15 September 2019 -- The 150th Salesian missionary expedition (29 September 2019) is prepared for by a four week course for the 36 new mis...
    Date2019.09.16 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views992 file
    Read More
  4. 5201(III)_Salesian sister assists with repatriation

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 15 September 2019 -- Young migrants, refugees and persons detained in Papua New Guinea struggle to get past the barriers of language and culture to get back to their homeland or to a third coun...
    Date2019.09.16 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views4946 file
    Read More
  5. 5201(II)_"The Young - Media Savvy, Creative and Happy"

Formation in Media Education By THA SC Hua Hin, Thailand -- On 14 September 2019, the Thai Salesian Social Communications sector organized a formation session on educational media among the Salesian seminarians and the aspirants of the Sist...
    Date2019.09.16 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1215 file
    Read More
  6. 5201(I)_20 years presence in Pakistan

By Fr. Gabriel Cruz, SDB Lahore, Pakistán, 14 september 2019 -- On the occasion of the 20th anniversary of The Foundation of our house in Lahore we have thanked God and celebrated the Salesian presence in Pakistan. This celebration was hono...
    Date2019.09.16 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views1035 file
    Read More
  7. 5200_Timor Leste SYM Annual Gathering

By Fr J Mota, SDB Fatumaca, Timor Leste, 15 September 2019 -- On 13-15 September, the youth leaders from different youth centres gathered in the newly established Carlo Gama Training Centre at Fatumaca. This is the 17th annual gathering of ...
    Date2019.09.15 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1684 file
    Read More
  8. 5199_Vietnam-Mongolia province growing in planning and process mentality

By VIE Provincial Secretary Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 14 September 2019 -- At the end of each annual animation visit of our EAO Regional Councillor we customarily hold a short provincial council meeting. Yesterday, 13 September (Mid Autumn...
    Date2019.09.14 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1471 file
    Read More
  9. 5198(IV)_United in prayer, study, work and youth ministry

Dalat Don Rua By VIE SC Dalat, Vietnam, 13 September 2019 -- The Blessed Michael Rua Postnovitiate community in Dalat, Vietnam is probably the most missionary ‘producing’ venue in the whole Salesian world. Along the corridors of the large b...
    Date2019.09.13 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views903 file
    Read More
  10. 5198(III)_Don Bosco Students in Samoa Visited by World Class Filmmakers

By Lauren Hichaaba, AUL PDMA Salelologa, Samoa, 11 September 2019 -- Don Bosco High School and Vocational Centre is in the village of Salelologa on the remote island of Savai’i in Samoa. The school opened in 2011 under the leadership of Fr....
    Date2019.09.13 CategoryPac. Reply1 Views1665 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 ... 539 Next
/ 539