?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5258

20191125_FIS.jpg

What volunteers are learning in mission lands

Cebu, Philippines, 24 November 2019 -- Interview with FIS Missionary Volunteer from SALVO (Salesian Lay Volunteers):

How was your brief volunteer experience in Cambodia?

My volunteering experience is a dream come true for me. I always had dreamt of volunteering in a foreign land to somehow return and share the favors I’ve received from the Salesians who’ve helped me in the past and the present. It was very fulfilling for me as a Bosconian and teacher.

What was one of the greatest joys of the experience?

My joy of volunteering lies in the smile of my tutees, my friends and the people I met during my stay. I am truly happy when my tutees learn something new during our study time. And most of all when I see that I have made new friends despite the language barrier.

What was the one of the biggest challenges of the experience?

Language had somehow hampered my volunteering experience. It’s really difficult at times to communicate with some students. There are times when you wanted to talk with the other locals but it’s kind frustrating since I could not explain something to them well enough. But so far, I do enjoy the challenge!

What did you learn from your experience?

Maybe my greatest learning is to be flexible at all times. There are times when you need to adjust from one thing to another. This really had taught me to be adaptable to any situation.

How has this experience impacted your life journey?

The month-long experience left footprints in my heart. As a teacher, I learned to appreciate my students and their background. I have understood that students have different origins that may have influenced their behavior in school. As a daughter, I have valued my family even more when knowing that some students can only meet their families a few times every year. As a person, I felt very blessed to have experienced this journey.

What does Don Bosco mean to you after this experience?

Don Bosco means extending yourself for others. It’s like offering your ear to listen, your hand to help others. As a Bosconian for more than a decade already, I believe that anyone can become the Don Bosco of today! All you need is a heart for others. Surely, doing something good can go a long way.

What can the message of Don Bosco offer the world today?

Don Bosco’s dream at 9 is a relevant message for the world today! Caring for others doesn’t require supernatural powers; all you need is to be yourself, with the guidance of Jesus and Mary.

20191125_FIS1.jpg

20191125_FIS2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5276(I)_English Volunteer Program Collaboration

ALA_5276 Online meeting seeks networking opportunities By Lauren Hichaaba Melbourne-New Rochelle-San Francisco, 16 December 2019 -- On 2 December 2019, Lauren Hichaaba (Cagliero Project - Australia), Adam Rudin (Salesian Lay Missioners – US...
    Date2019.12.17 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views967 file
    Read More
  2. 5275(IV)_Mary Help of Christians Association (ADMA) celebrates 150th Anniversary

ALA_5275 Timor Leste By Joao da Costa Boavida, SDB Baucau, Timor-Leste, 16 December 2019 -- ADMA Timor-Leste celebrated the 150th anniversary of ADMA's existence in the community of Baucau. The celebration lasted for three days from 13-15 D...
    Date2019.12.16 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views954 file
    Read More
  3. 5275(III)_EAO confreres in Italy come together

ALA_5275 Traditional EAO Advent encounter with thanks and dreams By Fr. Carlos Cheung (CIN) Convener of 2019 EAO encounter in Rome Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy, 15 December 2019 -- The by now traditional Advent encounter of the EAO confreres in...
    Date2019.12.16 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views692 file
    Read More
  4. 5275(II)_Provincial Congress of the Salesian Cooperators - Thailand

ALA_5275 By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 15 December 2019 -- From 9-10 December 2019, the Salesian Cooperators of Thailand organized their Provincial Congress at Don Bosco Home - Bangkok. The participants included the unit councils, the member...
    Date2019.12.16 CategoryASC Reply0 Views689 file
    Read More
  5. 5275(I)_Graduating students of Don Bosco Comoro are the future for Timor-Leste

ALA_5275 By Fr. Abilio E. Correia Guterres, SDB Comoro-Dili, Timor-Leste, 13 December 2019 -- On Friday, 13 December, Technical Centre Don Bosco Comoro (TCDBC) held its 28th graduation ceremony as another batch of graduates celebrated their...
    Date2019.12.16 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1222 file
    Read More
  6. 5274(II)_Jeju island welcomes the first Salesian community

ALA_5274 By Fr. Dominic Savio Seong Provincial Secretary Seoul, Korea, 14 December 2019 -- Two years after the first initial invitation to Jeju island, after a slow landing in the only large Korean island, the Rector Major recently approved...
    Date2019.12.14 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1350 file
    Read More
  7. 5274(I)_Ang Huling Himala, a play in honor of the Immaculate Conception

ALA_5274 Salesian candidates and Novices By FIS social communication DB Formation Center Lawaan, Cebu, Philippines, 13 December 2019 -- On 7 December, before the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, the novices and aspirants staged a play en...
    Date2019.12.14 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views823 file
    Read More
  8. 5273_The legacy of Fr. John Lee stirs a large movement

ALA_5273 By Fr. Samuel Yoo KOR SC Delegate Seoul, Korea, 12 December 2019 -- A Press Conference was held on 9 December in the Salesian Provincial house in Seoul, Youngdongpo-ku on the occasion of the approaching 10th anniversary of Fr. John...
    Date2019.12.13 CategoryKOR Reply1 Views863 file
    Read More
  9. 5272_Christmas celebration and farewell at DBTS

ALA_5272 By Eddie Kantomu, Greg Kuheu and Adi Lydia Tenakanai Gabutu, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 12 December 2019 -- The Educative Pastoral Community of Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu concluded the year on 5 December with an early ...
    Date2019.12.12 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1343 file
    Read More
  10. 5271(II)_For the young and with the young in Chieri - San Luigi

ALA_5271 An attractive Oratory model By our own correspondent Chieri, Piedmont, Italy, 11 December 2019 -- On 8 December (Sunday) the whole Salesian Family around the world remembered and celebrated the 178th anniversary of the Salesian Fam...
    Date2019.12.11 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views731 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 ... 537 Next
/ 537