PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 630 Comment 0
ALA_5292

20200109_WOR.jpg

An Indonesian Dutchman and a Flemish Ecuadorian

From 'Il Bollettino Salesiano' - Italian version

The Netherlands and Ecuador, January 2020 -- Fr Andy Jebarus (37 years) and Fr Jef Delporte (77 years) are both Salesian missionaries. Fr Andy was sent to the BEN Province (Belgium North - Holland) in 2009 and comes from Indonesia, while Fr Jef from Flanders (BEN province) has already spent 46 years in Latin America (Paraguay and Ecuador).

How did you meet Don Bosco?

Andy: When I was 20, I met a young Salesian by accident in a church in Jakarta. I had never heard of Don Bosco before.

Jef: I met Don Bosco at the oratory in the diocese of Bruges, Belgium as one of the youth. I went there every Sunday with my friends. I met Don Ackaert, a priest and friend who made Don Bosco's life come truly alive.

Are you happy?

Andy: All vocations have their challenges. Despite everything, I am very happy with what I am today. I am an enthusiastic and optimistic person and I hope to stay so, especially in my mind.

Jef: What characterizes me is that I feel happy as a Salesian and as a priest. I also learned a lot from ordinary people. That's how I thought I brought Jesus to the people, but he was already there before me.

How do you see the future of the faith?

Andy: I'm here in Amsterdam to live my faith totally. I want to make my faith visible to young people and therefore make the presence of Jesus tangible. Everyone believes in something, I think. If all Christians made their faith felt, I am convinced that there would be a great future for the faith and for Jesus Christ.

Jef: Being believers is a challenge. Here among the Shuar people faith was the force that supported everything. Now they look to the modern world and their faith fades. But the values of faith attract them, especially young people. And that is our task: to make Don Bosco alive, his heart, his faith for God, Jesus and the Church. Today, with these people.

How do you contribute to this future as a missionary?

Andy: I do the ordinary things that have been entrusted to me in the name of God. Every day I try to make the love, meekness and kindness of Christ tangible through my words and actions. This is only possible by staying close to people and living among young people.

Jef: I spend a lot of time with indigenous people, especially through youth ministry. We recently organized a large Youth Congress here. About 500 young people have arrived. It is the 18th Youth Congress in Ecuador.

How do you rate your experience?

Andy: Being a missionary in Flanders and the Netherlands is a big challenge! Just like a child, I had to learn everything from A to Z again. The language is difficult, the climate is terrible, the culture is different and the way of thinking is also completely different.

Jef: I am grateful to the Salesian Congregation for all that it has given me. From Westhoek I ended up here among the Shuar in Ecuador. For me it is something special. It is not my merit, but a gift from the Lord. And I thank the Lord for being able to do something for the young people. The young people themselves taught me a lot.

Do you have a dream?

Andy: My biggest dream is that people - and especially young people - can experience the love, sweetness, justice and kindness of Christ. And I pray that everything I do will bring them closer to Christ.

Jef: Yes, to continue my work among the people and to teach young people to discover Don Bosco.

NB: Fr. Jebarus is one of 7 missionaries for Project Europe in BEN Province.

• Link to the article 'Destini incrociati' (Crossed Destiny)

• 20200109_WOR0.jpg

20200109_WOR1.jpg

20200109_WOR2.jpg

20200109_WOR3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5299(IV)_A Samoan Volunteer Experience

ALA_5299 'To live with the spirit of Don Bosco is to share love and joy with all people' By Ms Lauren Hinchaaba Province Mission Delegate Australia-Pacific Melbourne, Australia, 20 January 2020 -- Catherine Lutvey spent one year as a Caglie...
      Date2020.01.23 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1022 file
      Read More
    2. 5299(III)_Concrete - Courageous - Commitment

ALA_5299 Three Key Words of 38th SF Spirituality Days 2020 at Valdocco By our own correspondent Valdocco, Turin - Italy, 19 January 2020 -- With the strongly challenging Strenna 2020: Your Will Be done on earth as it is in Heaven (Mt 6,10) ...
      Date2020.01.23 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views986 file
      Read More
    3. 5299(II)_Don Bosco Past Pupils enter their 150th Anniversary

ALA_5299 Past Pupils of Don Bosco Newsflash highlights many EAO Past Pupils By World Confederation of Don Bosco Alumni Turin, Italy, January 2020 -- With the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Past Pupils of Don Bosco Association (24...
      Date2020.01.23 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views509 file
      Read More
    4. 5299(I)_“GOOD CHRISTIANS AND UPRIGHT CITIZENS”

ALA_5299 Salesian Family Day 2020 in Thailand By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 18 January 2020 -- On 18 January 2020, about 150 members of the various congregations, institutes and groups, gathered to celebrate the Salesian Family Day 2020. Thi...
      Date2020.01.23 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views641 file
      Read More
    5. 5298(II)_Vietnam Province's Salesian Family Day

ALA_5298 By Br. John Pham Hong Phuoc, SDB Thu Duc, Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam, 17 January 2020 -- It has been a tradition of the Vietnam Province that the province celebrates the Salesian Family Day on 23 December of the lunar year (and this...
      Date2020.01.18 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views851 file
      Read More
    6. 5298(I)_Don Bosco Media in Mongolia

ALA_5298 Don Bosco sons are active in publishing also in Mongolia By Fr. Simon Lee, SBD Darkhan, Mongolia, January 2020 -- How many books in Mongolian have you published so far? A total of 141 titles of books were printed by Don Bosco Media...
      Date2020.01.18 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views982 file
      Read More
    7. 5297(V)_38th Salesian Family Spirituality days open at Valdocco

ALA_5297 Upright Citizens and Good Christians - Strenna 2020 shared By our own correspondent Valdocco, 17 January 2020 -- In the afternoon of 16 January the 38th Salesian Family Spirituality days opened in the Mother House at Valdocco - a 4...
      Date2020.01.17 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views680 file
      Read More
    8. 5297(IV)_Sharing the Apostolic Zeal of Don Bosco with the Lay Mission Partners

ALA_5297 The 4th Lay Mission Partners Formation Gathering By Fr. Shin Mishima, SDB Miura Peninsula, Japan, 12-13 January 2020 -- The 4th Lay Mission Partners formation program was held with 31 participants from 11 Salesian works (schools, b...
      Date2020.01.17 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views823 file
      Read More
    9. 5297(III)_The Legacy of Fr. John Lee: Joy - Service - Sharing

ALA_5297 Opening of Fr. John Lee Memorial Hall in Busan By Fr. Samuel Yoo Myong-il Seoul, Korea, 145 January 2020 -- The memorial hall honoring Fr. John Lee who called Don Bosco in South Sudan, was opened in his hometown of Busan metropolit...
      Date2020.01.17 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views713 file
      Read More
    10. 5297(II)_Youth Work in Asia: Theory and Practice

ALA_5297 Published work of Fr. Peter Newbery, SDB By Don Bosco Publishing Services, HK China Hong Kong, China, January 2020 -- In recent years, scholars in Asia have been building up a body of work in the social sciences which focuses more ...
      Date2020.01.17 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views723 file
      Read More
    List
    Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 ... 538 Next
    / 538