PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5359

20200419_WOR.jpg

The pandemic and lockdown crisis shows 

how human we can be

By Fr. Václav Čunek SDB

Don Bosco Youth Centre, Pardubice, Czech Republic, April 19, 2020 -- The SDB coordinator for the emergency response to Covid19 in the General house receives dozens of reports and sharing from most of the 90 SDB provinces daily. Today he shares the 'most interesting' the story of Salesian Youth Centre in Czech Republic, Pardubice.

“The current crisis helps me learn how to get oriented in a new situation and face it, so that our work with other people was good. (…) I am deeply moved by people’s togetherness. They are calling us and offering face masks. This situation showed how humane we can be. I hope this crisis will bring something positive to the world. I hope that we will take time to think about our lives and its meaning and I genuinely hope that this situation will change everyone positively.

The current crisis also influenced the team of the Center Don Bosco. They work from home and communicate through videoconference. “During one call one of my colleagues said: @I have to admit that I miss you. Those online calls are not the same." That was a pleasant surprise. I realised that despite our flaws, we love and miss each other. Now we are happy to see each other at least through the videoconference and talk or do long-distance praying. This situation did create something good. Something we wouldn’t experience if there wasn’t for the COVID-19 epidemic.”

Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the Government of Czech Republic issued an extraordinary regulation: since the March 11th, all schools and Salesian Youth Centers are closed; free movement is prohibited since March 16th (except for work and necessary things like grocery and medicine shopping or visiting a doctor); since the March 19th, all people in public spaces have to wear face masks or cover their respiratory tract otherwise.

The Salesian Youth Centre provides social services and support even during the times of this crisis. Their employees work with clients from home and communicate through cell phones, e-mails, Facebook and so on. They are in contact with approximately 80 clients. Ms Anežka Jeníková is the leader of direct work and coordinates social workers of the Salesian Youth Center. With her colleagues she helps youngsters in an institutional care and foster care to start an independent grown up life and find their place in society. Normally their contact is personal and long-distance but these days the personal contact isn’t possible.

“Our ways of helping and supporting youngsters changed a lot. We are trying to keep as much long-distance contact as possible and we discuss the current situation with them. We ask them what it means for them and what impact does it have on their lives,” says Anežka Jeníková and adds: “We are building a relationship of cooperation and trust with them on a long-term basis. We are offering them a long-term accompaniment on their way to an independent life and also afterwards. The current situation is also part of life. They are young people who often don’t have safe and supporting environment. And we are here to provide it. There are many ways of communication these days which allow us to work on a long-distance basis and our youngsters now need encouragement and practical help more than ever.

Ms Anežka Jeníková explains with what things she helps the youngsters: “With some clients we discuss a fear of the uncertainty, future and whether life will ever come back to normal. (…) I also have older clients, like mothers with whom I discuss what to do with their kids when they live in the city center and right next to their house is a playground but kids can only watch it from the window because the police would send them away. It’s just those everyday practical things that we are wondering about a seeking other option.”

Anežka Jenížková also says what opportunities does she see in this crisis: “Current situation reminds me that even in these conditions we are able to keep the connection with youngsters and be their anchor. It also provides an opportunity to open topics from other parts of life. Beside the human support and practical help, in some of the conversations we also discuss topics like meaning of life and its finiteness. That is very valuable because under normal circumstances we wouldn’t really get to topics like this.”

Fr Václav Čunek, SDB currently communicates with the youngsters through the cell phone, e-mail, chat and extraordinarily also in person, when they urgently need food, material or social aid. The Youth Center determined several sanitary measures, thanks to which it’s, under special circumstances, possible. Clients in an institutional care have trouble with managing their school responsibilities or boredom and isolation. On the other hand, those who already live independently face fear, loss of income, work or loneliness. “The long-distance contact is necessary. Without it we would lose connection with the clients. Nowadays I feel the need to write and call them more than ever.”

Related news article:

Related resources:

20200419_WOR1.jpg

20200419_WOR2.jpg

20200419_WOR3.jpg

20200419_WOR4.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5376(II)_ Missionary Volunteers inspire the zeal of the Salesians

ALA_5376 By Fr Paul Leung – Delegate Mongolia Delegation, Ulanbaatar Mongolia, 15 May 2020 -- Interview with Fr Paul Leung. How was your experience of hosting volunteers in your community? Generally speaking, my experience has been quite...
    Date2020.05.15 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views668 file
    Read More
  2. 5376(I)_Living and Working with the Cagliero volunteers in Dili - Timor Leste

ALA_5376 By Fr. Abilio E. Correia Guterres, sdb Dili, Comoro, Timore Leste, 15 May 2020 -- Keith was a volunteer with the Cagliero project, who spent six months volunteering at the Don Bosco Comoro Technical Community Centre in Timor Leste...
    Date2020.05.15 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1122 file
    Read More
  3. 5375(II)_Fiji: 40th Anniversary of Priestly Ordination

ALA_5375 By Cl. Peter Duc Nguyen, SDB Suva, Fiji Islands, 14 May 2020 – On Sunday 10th May, 2020, the Don Bosco community celebrated the 40th anniversary of priesthood of Fr James Kyaw Hoe SDB. The celebration was quite simple but very war...
    Date2020.05.14 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views671 file
    Read More
  4. 5375(I)_What does it mean to live and work with lay missionary volunteers?

ALA_5375 By Fr. John Bog Nam Jeon Poipet, Cambodia, 14 May 2020 -- Interview with Fr John Bok Nam, Salesian in charge of the Poipet community How was your experience of hosting volunteers in your community? Over the past 3 years living i...
    Date2020.05.14 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views1076 file
    Read More
  5. 5374(II)_Youth Pentecost Retreat Online - SYM Philippines

ALA_5374 Christus Vivit for Young People FIN, Philippines, 13 May 2020 -- During the whole month of May (4-31) on the Facebook pages of the Salesian Youth Movement - FIN the ‘LIT! Online Pentecost Retreat’ based on the 'Christus Vivit' (Ch...
    Date2020.05.13 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views725 file
    Read More
  6. 5374(I)_What can we do to care for creation? - Laudato Si' Week

ALA_5374 Rome, 13 May 2020 -- Pope Francis has declared the coming week (16-24 May) as 'LAUDATO SI WEEK' (Video on YouTube) and by coincidence it overlaps with the annual Novena to the Feast of Mary Help of Christians (16-25 May). During t...
    Date2020.05.13 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1637 file
    Read More
  7. 5373_New vocations for Caritas Sisters of Jesus in Papua New Guinea

ALA_5373 Second presence in Kimbe is growing By Sr. Florentina Cho Caritas Sister of Jesus Kimbe, Papua New Guinea, 11 May 2020 -- We are six sisters, two Papua New Guinean nationals and four Korean missionaries with 4 first year aspirants...
    Date2020.05.12 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views872 file
    Read More
  8. 5372(II)_Thailand-Cambodia-Laos give thanks for the 4 new novices and 13 postulants

ALA_5372 By Fr. John Bosco Theparat Provincial Sampran, Thailand, 11 May 2020 -- Happy Eastertide! How are you? We hope that all of you are well especially in this difficult times. In Thailand we try to assist our neighbors in need as much...
    Date2020.05.11 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views617 file
    Read More
  9. 5372(I)_Weathering the 'perfect storm': preparing for a new world

ALA_5372 By Cardinal Charles Bo Yangon, Myanmar, 9 May 2020 -- The Covid-19 pandemic around the world is now a “perfect storm”. It challenges our ways of living, working and celebrating. The impact in Myanmar until now has been slower in c...
    Date2020.05.11 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views1177 file
    Read More
  10. 5371(IV)_Celebrating the Feast of Saint Dominic Savio

ALA_5371 By Cl. Francis Mallol Savio Haus, Bomana, Port Moresby, PNG, 8 May 2020 -- The feast of Saint Dominic Savio was celebrated in style on 6 May at the Savio Haus in Bomana. This long-awaited feast day of the Savio Haus community is it...
    Date2020.05.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views3378 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 ... 537 Next
/ 537