Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 618 Comment 0
ALA_5430

20200726_WOR.jpg

Hagia/Sofia

By Charles Bo
President of Federation of Asia Bishops’ Conferences
Archbishop of Yangon, Myanmar

Yangon, Myanmar, July 2020 -- Freedom of religion or belief is a foundational human right for everyone, of every faith and none. The right to choose, practice, express and change one’s faith – or have no faith at all – is the most basic freedom for any soul. And it is a freedom I have consistently and passionately defended for Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Jews and Christians of all traditions, in my own country of Myanmar and throughout Asia.

Indeed often I have spoken in defence of the persecuted Muslim peoples in Myanmar, and I will go on doing so without hesitation and unequivocally. For true freedom of religion requires respect for others’ freedom to practice, as well as the exercise and defence of one’s own liberty.

For that reason, the decision in Turkey to turn what was for 1000 years the world’s largest Cathedral – Hagia Sophia – into a mosque grieves me. And as President of the Federation of Asian Bishops’ Conferences, it is incumbent on me to say so.

It grieves me not because I want to deny my Muslim brothers and sisters places of worship. On the contrary, I defend their right to do so as much as I defend everyone’s. Nothing I say here should be taken by those who persecute Muslims – in Myanmar or beyond – as justification for their actions: it never can be. Persecution of any kind should be countered by people of faith, hope and love and by humanity. But nor can the decision to turn Hagia Sophia into a mosque be seen as anything other than an unnecessary assault on freedom of religion or belief.

Faith is an affair of the soul, heart, mind and spirit. The temples of faith are within people, not buildings. Nevertheless, sacred buildings represent and embody history, heritage, art, iconography and the life-story of faiths throughout the millenia. When subverted, however, they can be used as symbols of power and subjugation.

In my country, Myanmar, mosques have been razed to the ground and I have spoken out – frequently and at some risk. In China, the Uyghur Muslims are facing what amounts to some of the contemporary world’s worst mass atrocities and I urge the international community to investigate. In India and Sri Lanka Muslims have faced appalling violence and I have condemned such inhumanity.

Similarly, In Indonesia, Ahmadiyya Muslim mosques have been destroyed by other Muslims, and churches have been forcibly closed. In Iran the Baha’is face an intense assault on their freedoms, and in Syria and Iraq sacred places have been wantonly destroyed while, sadly, closer to home, we have seen the same phenomenon in China with shrines destroyed, the Cross removed from places of worship, and even churches, like Xiangbaishu Church in Yixing, demolished.”

Turning Hagia Sophia into a mosque represents a similar undermining of freedom of religion or belief, love for each other, respect for the dignity of difference.

At a time when humanity is enduring intense strains due to the global pandemic, we need to come together, not drive communities apart. We need to put aside identity politics, abandon power plays, prevent ethnic and religious conflicts and value the dignity of difference among every human being. And we must cherish diversity and the unity we find within it.

How does turning what was once the world’s largest cathedral into a mosque do anything except sow tensions, divide people and inflict pain? How does placing Hagia Sophia into the hands of people who have no sense of its history and heritage and who will destroy its Christian identity help bring people together? How does seizing Hagia Sophia uphold Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights? It doesn’t. It merely reopens wounds and exacerbates divides at a time when we should be healing humanity.

I work with my brothers and sisters from every major faith tradition every day of my life. And I will go to the ends of the earth to defend their rights. I will defend every mosque, every synagogue, every temple possible. And I know my fellow religious leaders working for peace would do the same for me. That’s the spirit we need – to respect and defend each other’s freedoms to worship as we wish, to express our faith in accordance with our traditions, to convert freely according to our conscience, but never to be coerced, never to impose and never to seize or grab.

In previous epochs of history we know that the seizure of one another’s sacred and holy buildings and sites has caused untold distress and bitterness and in our generation we should not be so foolish as to repeat the mistakes of history.

Reciprocity is a human and natural virtue.

Let Hagia Sophia be.

20200726_WOR1.jpg

20200726_WOR2.jpg

20200726_WOR3.jpg

20200726_WOR4.jpg

20200726_WOR5.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5440(II)_Segregate waste, for a better tomorrow

ALA_5440 By Dickson Clyde DBTI Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG 7 August 2020 -- Since the first lock down, the students of Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko have been under so much confusion and stress build up from the unknown circumsta...
    Date2020.08.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views14377 file
    Read More
  2. 5440(I)_Accompaniment and learning in EAO Past Pupils of Don Bosco online meetings

ALA_5440 By Mr. Niel Evangelista Asia – Oceania Regional Councilor for the GEX (Young DB Past Pupils) Video conference (EAO-FIN-FIS), 6 August 2020 -- On the evening of Sunday, 2 August, another 'team visit' online meeting was held involvi...
    Date2020.08.09 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views617 file
    Read More
  3. 5439(III)_Admission to the Novitiate in Lawa-an

ALA_5439 By Novice Roj Mallari Lawa-an, Talisay City, Cebu, the Philippines, 5 August 2020 -- Six candidates to the Novitiate — Keiyth Joemarie Bernales (FIS), Christopher Sa Khant Ai (MYM), John Hein Htet Aung (MYM), Nicholas Naw Seng Hpr...
    Date2020.08.07 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1201 file
    Read More
  4. 5439(II)_Heart in Hand: Vietnamese Volunteers in action - summer 2020

ALA_5439 Volunteers encounter Jesus in the faces of mountain children By John Nguyen, Coordinator Heart in Hand Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 6 August 2020 -- This year, too, in spite of the pandemic the Heart in Hand young adult volunteers a...
    Date2020.08.07 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views571 file
    Read More
  5. 5439(I)_Networking and synergy at the EAO SC meeting

ALA_5439 By Fr. Ambrose Pereira SDB Online meeting EAO, 6 August 2020 -- The Social Communications members of the EAO Region had their first online meeting with the new Councillor for Social Communications Fr Gildásio Mendes, the new Regio...
    Date2020.08.07 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views531 file
    Read More
  6. 5438(II)_Female Students welcomed at Don Bosco Technical Centre in Samoa

ALA_5438 By Lauren Hichaaaba AUL PDMA and Director of the Cagliero Project Don Bosco Technical Centre, Alafua, Samoa, 5 August 2020 -- Don Bosco Technical Centre was established and opened in 1989 to offer a “second chance” technical and v...
    Date2020.08.05 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views765 file
    Read More
  7. 5438(I)_Establishment of the Association of Past Pupils of Don Bosco, Aileu, Timor Leste

ALA_5438 By Mr. Azevedo Marcal President of Timor Leste Federation of Past Pupils of Don Bosco Dili, Timor Leste, 5 August 2020 -- On 1 August 2020, the National Federation of Past Pupils of Don Bosco, Timor-Leste (Federação Nacional dos A...
    Date2020.08.05 CategoryEXDB Reply2 Views541 file
    Read More
  8. 5437(V)_Fr. Michael Adulkasem, RIP (1955-2020)

ALA_5437 By Fr. Joseph Kriengsak Provincial Secretary Bangkok, Thailand, 3 August 2020 -- The Provincial community of St Paul the Apostle (THA) of Thailand - Cambodia - Laos is mourning the sudden demise (due to heart failure) of Fr. Micha...
    Date2020.08.03 CategoryTHA Reply1 Views674 file
    Read More
  9. 5437(IV)_Remove your sandals on the sacred ground

ALA_5437 Reflection by Cl. Francis Mallol, SDB Port Moresby, Papua new Guinea, 3 August 2020 -- “Remove your sandals Moses for you are on the Holy ground” (Ex 3:5). Moses was commanded by God to remove his sandals when he heard God speakin...
    Date2020.08.03 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views3511 file
    Read More
  10. 5437(III)_SYM “Huddle” for the “New Normal”

ALA_5437 By Mr. Stephen Borja Makati City, the Philippines, 2 August 2020 -- Some 74 Salesians, lay animators, and youth leaders participated in the “SYM Huddle,” an online forum on youth group animation amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. Are ...
    Date2020.08.03 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views463 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 ... 538 Next
/ 538