Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 5443 Comment 0
ALA_5424

20200719_PGS.jpg

By Sr Shanty Joseph MSI

Araimiri, Papua New Guinea, 19 July 2020 -- Here my thoughts move to my life journey at Araimiri. It was something to be treasured for life. The life spent mostly with pristine nature, black sandy beach, swaying sago palms and coconut trees above all the innocence of tiny tots. As I reminisce my life I feel elated that I got a chance to work in the remote area where people are unassuming and free from hustle and bustle of life. I recall the days spent with people, students, teachers and kids, days spent in teaching and learning etc.

I wonder sometimes to see the poverty of missionaries in the diocese of Kerema and the yearning of people to know more about Jesus Christ. There are 11 parishes in the diocese but sad to say only 7 parish priests who on foot reach the rugged mountains and valleys of East Kerema and crossing the rough sea and gales of west Kerema to bring the good news of Jesus.

Araimiri is one of the challenging and remote places where originally MSC missionaries set foot, followed by the Salesians. As Salesians celebrated their 40 years of presence at Araimiri on 13 June 2020 it is a challenge for me to count the myriads of blessings that God has been bestowing upon the people of Gulf Province, the less privileged Province in the country both educationally and developmentally. The mission is extensive, but the labourers are few. We are grateful to Sr Elizabeth who has done her best with her missionary zeal visiting the sub stations, preparing many people for sacraments and starting Sunday school for children.

Upon our arrival in 2018 the Salesians took care of us and provided us with all we needed. I gratefully acknowledge the providence of God which was very evident at the initial stages of our stay as we were new to the culture and people. God has sent many angels on our way to nurture us both spiritually and physically. Psalm 91:11 has deep impact on my life, “God will put his angels in charge of you to protect you wherever you go.”I did experience the same in the mission and experienced God tangibly in all walks of my life.

On the contrary Araimiri daily offers us new challenges and new hope. That was indeed true as I stepped into the school with new responsibility. Lack of teachers, disciplinary issues, lack of communication, troubles from neighbouring communities are added tasks. The motivating factor is our students are innovative, supportive and enthusiastic to learn and have dreams in life. One needs to expect the unexpected as we welcome each new day at Araimiri. I did experience the unseen hands of God in the midst of storm and calm and he was ever faithful to me.

Araimiri imparted to me how to take life as it comes and be patient with all odds. The simple people taught me, inspired me and challenged me how to be humble and enjoy daily joys of life. It is said and truly said, “the true value of anything is understood not when it is with you but when it is away from you.”It is undeniably true as I recall the past two and half years of my stay at Araimiri.

20200719_PGS1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )