Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5259

20191126_FIS.jpg

What Filipinos are learning in Cambodia

By SALVO former volunteer – Josteno Hernan

Cebu, Philippines, 26 November 2019 -- Another SALVO Volunteer offers thoughts on his experience.

How was your volunteer experience in Cambodia?

I had a chance to render my volunteer service to the Khmer people from 14 February until 21 August 2018 at Don Bosco Technical School, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The experience was indeed a remarkable one; not just a give and take experience but also a self-formative journey. It is interesting to know how the Salesians work in countries like Cambodia with only a small percentage of Catholics. It is fascinating to know the methodologies used by the Salesians to form and share the charism of Don Bosco with the people. Other volunteers had shared with me that offering my time and help to other people is very little compared to the things that I will be receiving in return. Indeed, I can say that those sentiments are true.

What did you learn in Cambodia?

First, the Salesian Preventive system, culture, personal growth and spiritual journey. One of my objectives in volunteering in Cambodia was to know how the Salesians work in the midst of a larger number of non-Catholics and how they integrate the charism of Don Bosco with the culture, beliefs and practices of the people. I have learned that the Salesians work as an NGO supporting and forming a lot of people to uplift their way of living. It is good to know that they work in spreading and sharing the love of God through their actions and service to the young. They serve the young by educating them how to dream and become good and upright citizens in their own country. They use the principles of natural law and find connections to their beliefs and afterwards integrate this into their day to day living which has the same goal of becoming a good person. The Salesian charism is strongly observable and present. The Salesians are working with and for the young.

Surprisingly, the culture of the people with regards to authority is extremely strong. The people have great respect for people involved in religion. The children are not only showing great respect to their parents but also the parents show reverence to the people whom they consider holy like the monks and the priests. And the students treat their teachers with respect and kindness. Gentleness is for me the greatest challenge to possess always when interacting with them. Everybody may seem not capable of understanding and relating with other people. But I can say that they had tried their best to make me feel comfortable and welcome through their simple smiles and timidity. They are sensitive enough to feel what I am feeling and anticipate my actions. Thus, I learn how to be cautions in all my actions.

What change has this missionary volunteer experience made to your life?

The six month missionary volunteering has changed me for the better. It enlightened me to start, stop, continue and change some of my actions and perspectives in life. It enlightens me to start appreciating the care and concerns of others. It convinced me to start believing in myself and make more new friends. And it taught me to continue seeing the goodness, greatness and talents of others. Also the experience taught me how to smile despite the sadness that is reigning in my heart, being optimistic despite the negativities around me, be productive with my time, be patient in all adversities and conflicts, be sensitive to the feelings of others, show concern and love to others and learn how to enjoy. It made me realize that I should stop being a pessimist and judgmental. And lastly it taught me to change for the better.

What wisdom do you bring back to your personal life in the Philippines?

Lastly, the whole missionary volunteering experience was productive and very formative because of His power. During stormy days and crooked roads the only one who sustained and gave me strength to stand and fight back is Jesus. Participating in the Mass, praying the Rosary and offering all my actions to Him every day have helped me to become closer and more intimate with Him. It truly illuminates my spirit to live and love.

20191126_FIS1.jpg

20191126_FIS2.jpg

20191126_FIS3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6219_50 years of priesthood

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 4 December 2023 -- Fr. Patrick Maccioni, Fr. Philip Somchai Kitnichi, and Fr. Anthony Restelli celebrated their 50th year as a priest on 2 December 2023 at St. John Bosco Church - Bangkok in the midst of the Sal...
    Date2023.12.04 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views627 file
    Read More
  2. 6218_EAO Musicians and Composers Meeting

By Fr. Keith J. Amodia, SDB EAO, 4 December 2023, Zoom -- On December 1, 2023, 15 musicians and composers from the East Asia-Oceania region gathered together in a virtual meeting through Zoom. The meeting was called by the Social Communicat...
    Date2023.12.04 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views413 file
    Read More
  3. 6217_Unforgettable: The Land of the Unexpected

Reflections of our experience at the Rectors’ Meeting By Fr. Jojo Garcia Port Moresby, PNG 1 December 2023 -- Papua New Guinea, the land of the unexpected, welcomed delegates from six different countries in the most unexpected way. Af...
    Date2023.12.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1074 file
    Read More
  4. 6216_Navigating Educational Frontiers: NCCS 2023 in Focus

By CYM correspondence Cebu, Philippines, 30 November 2023 -- Don Bosco Philippine South Province and Don Bosco Technical College-Cebu hosted this year’s Curriculum Studies Association of the Philippines (CSAPI) National Conference on ...
    Date2023.12.01 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views466 file
    Read More
  5. 6215_FIN Province Holds Student-Leaders Assembly '23

By Royce Cruz, Wilfred Mauricio, and Yves Yturralde Makati (Manila), The Philippines, 29 November 2023 -- The Don Bosco schools of the Philippines–Northern Province (FIN) gathered last November 23 at Don Bosco Technical Institute of M...
    Date2023.11.30 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views259 file
    Read More
  6. 6214_FIN Celebrates Province Community Day

By FIN CSCom Photos by Mr. John Villafania Calamba City, the Philippines, 28 November 2027 -- The Salesians of Don Bosco - Philippines North Province celebrated its Province Community Day on 27 November. Fr. Gerardo Martin, SDB, FIN Provinc...
    Date2023.11.28 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views925 file
    Read More
  7. 6213_Thailand Hosts the 28th Annual FABC-OSC Bishops' Meeting

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 28 November 2023 -- Don Bosco Home - Bangkok played host to the 28th FABC-OSC Bishops' Meeting from 20-24 November 2023 on the theme "Communication in the Church in Asia Today". Fr. George Plathottam, SDB, t...
    Date2023.11.28 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views644 file
    Read More
  8. 6212_The Vicar of the Rector Major at DBYC Tondo

By Juventus Sodality St. John Bosco Parish Tondo Tondo (Manila), the Philippines, 27 November 2023 -- Even as the rain poured down, the Don Bosco Youth Center - Tondo radiated warmth and enthusiasm as it welcomed the Vicar of the Rector Maj...
    Date2023.11.27 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views291 file
    Read More
  9. 6211_The Visit of Fr Joseph Phuoc, SDB to Indonesia

By Asp. Gilbert Jakarta, Indonesia, 25 November 2023 -- In November 2023, the Indonesian Province is being visited by Father Joseph Phuoc. On this occasion, Father Joseph was present not only to provide unity for the Salesian Indonesian com...
    Date2023.11.25 CategoryINA Reply0 Views259 file
    Read More
  10. 6210_Meeting of Coordinators of Social Communications and Correspondents for Salesian Bulletin & Newsletter

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 24 November 2023 -- On 23 November 2023, the Salesian Commission of Social Communication, Thailand, organized a meeting of the press coordinators and the correspondents of each Salesian house with the goal of cr...
    Date2023.11.24 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views548 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 537 Next
/ 537