PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5453

20200825_AUL.jpg

"Like ships, Salesians are not built for safe harbour!"

By Fr Will Matthews
Provincial Australia-Pacific

Melbourne, Australia, 25 August 2020 -- We are happy to share the ongoing experience of Salesian Mission Day 2020 within the Australia - Pacific (AUL) province of Australia-New Zealand-Fiji-Samoa. In his recent Circular letter n0. 621 (24 August 2020), Fr Will Matthews (AUL provincial) motivates his confreres with his introduction page 'From the Provincial':

"Dear Confreres, having been to a number of Salesian Regional meetings in the last few years and the Salesian General Chapter in Turin earlier this year, I have come across many Salesians from other parts of the world who asked me if I was a missionary to Australia. Many Salesians were puzzled and surprised to meet me as the Provincial of Australia - Pacific Province. I smile and with my usual reply that I migrated to Australia with my family, joining the Province as a prenovice, having had all priestly training in Melbourne before being ordained a priest in my home town Perth, and now serving as the 11th Provincial. In short, I assure the inquisitors that I was not a missionary sent to Australia.

But, I affirm and make a point that every Salesian is a missionary by nature regardless of where you come from and where you serve. Our Province is built on the hard work of missionaries primarily from Europe. We are truly grateful for the firm foundation established by those selfless Confreres. Some Confreres are still living, and celebrating big anniversaries of Profession and Ordination.

In the past weeks, a young Vietnamese missionary, Br Peter Duc, professed his perpetual vows into the hands of Fr Jim Hoe in Fiji who represented the Rector Major. Another Vietnamese missionary, Br Peter Vu, renewed his vows in Salelologa into the hands of Fr Petelo Vito, a representative of the Rector Major. Both Peter Duc and Peter Vu might remind many elderly Salesians in the Province who were in similar positions in Australia over 50, 60 or 70 years ago. They can now look back with profound gratitude and thank God for their calling and the sacrifices they have made.

A Salesian without missionary spirit is not a Salesian at all! He is not true to his vocation. Don Bosco wanted all his sons to be missionaries to the young wherever they may be: schools, youth centres, parishes, camps, playgrounds and virtual worlds.

Recently, the Provincial Delegate for Missionary Animation, Lauren Hichaaba, sent out a message to you all promoting missionary awareness in your community and work especially from 15th August to 15 September. The theme this year is ‘Initial Proclamation through Oratories and Youth Centres’. We are asked to emphasize more in the playgrounds to share and witness the love of God to the young through our lives and action.

Sometimes, as human beings, some Salesians may feel extremely comfortable where they are, who they are with and what they are doing. It is extremely easy to be sitting in our comfort zone and wasting time with those who are not necessarily needed.

Like ships, Salesians are not built for safe harbour. We must reach out to the young those who are in need like the refugees, migrants, children from broken homes, young people with various forms of addictions, and the young with mental and social issues.

Also as a Province, we are heading towards the centenary celebrations in 2023. It is now time to remind and reflect as individuals, as communities and as a province of our missionary spirit for the poor and the abandoned. Let us reignite the passion of missionary zeal in each one of us. We have become professed and consecrated Salesians not to do our will but to do the will of God.

Every Salesian is a faith-filled missionary who does the will of God. A guarantee for our true happiness is to have absolute faith in God and to do His will. St Paul says in his letter to the Philippians ‘Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say; rejoice!’ [4:4]"

• SMD 2020 Resources for download (animation booklet) and 5 videos on the Youtube

• Related news article:

20200825_AUL0.jpg

20200825_AUL1.jpg

20200825_AUL2.jpg

20200825_AUL3.jpg
    Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5474(III)_Let's Plant Positivity!

ALA_5474 By Fr. Keith Amodia, SDB Lourdes Parish, Cebu, 20 September 2020 -- The Lourdes Parish Youth Center in promoting urban farming among young people held the #Let’sPlantPositivity challenge. It was organized by the Parish Youth Coord...
      Date2020.09.25 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views4250 file
      Read More
    2. 5474(II)_Good news for digital technology savvy Catholic youth

ALA_5474 Beatification of Carlo Acutis (1991-2006) coming soon By our own correspondent Rome, 24 September 2020 -- The beatification of 15-year-old Italian youngster Carlo Acutis on 10 October 2020 in Assisi is fast approaching. Born in Lo...
      Date2020.09.25 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views748 file
      Read More
    3. 5474(I)_Harvesting the vegetable garden in Los Palos

ALA_5474 Season of Creation 2020 By Fr. Bonifacius Isaias, SDB Lost Palos, Timor Leste, 24 September 2020 -- Los Palos' green vegetable farm is growing and producing, especially in these difficult times! We are the most distant community i...
      Date2020.09.25 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views1165 file
      Read More
    4. 5473(II)_Upright Citizens and Good Christians - in Hong Kong 2020

ALA_5473 By Fr. Martin Yip Hong Kong (Salesian Bulletin no. 279 CIN), 22 September 2020 -- In the light of Strenna 2020, how can the Salesian Family help young people to be a Good Christians and Upright citizens in the unique situation of ...
      Date2020.09.23 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views553 file
      Read More
    5. 5473(I)_Blessed Salesian Martyrs of Spain - Inspiring Witnesses

ALA_5473 World, 22 September 2020 -- Today, 22 September, we celebrate the Feast of 95 Blessed Spanish Salesian Martyrs (beatification 2001 and 2007) from three provinces of Madrid, Seville and Valencia: 38 Salesian Priests, 25 Salesian Br...
      Date2020.09.23 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1877 file
      Read More
    6. 5472_Gratitude for the past and openness to the future - AUL 2023

ALA_5472 By our own correspondent Melbourne, Australia, 22 September 2020 -- With the first Newsletter of the AUL Centenary launched on 21 September , the SDB and the Salesian Family in the Australia Pacific Province have begun preparation...
      Date2020.09.22 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views517 file
      Read More
    7. 5471(III)_From Samoa to Pakistan: 3 months of encounters with DB Past pupils

ALA_5471 By Mr Neil Evangelista GEX Councillor for Asia-Oceania region EAO, 21 September 2020 -- Although it was not an intentional plan, on the last Sunday of the marathon encounter rally we were able to meet with the two extremes of our ...
      Date2020.09.21 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views423 file
      Read More
    8. 5471(II)_Further exploratory visit to Ruteng diocese on Flores island

ALA_5471 By Br. Bernardinus Mei 'Mikoli' Ruteng, Flores Island, Indonesia, 21 September 2020 -- After the first exploratory visit last October 2019 to the three dioceses of Flores Island (Ruteng, Maumere and Ende), this time (13-17 Septemb...
      Date2020.09.21 CategoryINA Reply0 Views617 file
      Read More
    9. 5471(I)_R.I.P. for Brother Lodovico de Marchi

ALA_5471 By Fr. Joseph Nguyen Thinh Phuoc, SDB Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam, 19 September 2020 -- On the morning of Saturday 19 September 2020, in communion with the Funeral Mass celebrated by the community of Artemide Zatti [Venezia-Mestre, ...
      Date2020.09.21 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views618 file
      Read More
    10. 5470(III)_Prayerful encounter of Salesian community with the young

ALA_5470 Brno community monthly prayerful encounter with the young By our own correspondent Brno, Czech Republic, 18 September 2020 -- For the last seven months the Covid 19 pandemic has brought much suffering to most of the world and has ...
      Date2020.09.18 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views379 file
      Read More
    List
    Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 ... 537 Next
    / 537