Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 638 Comment 0

20210513_KOR-(1).jpg

By Fr. Andrea Chang
(KOR Provincial Newsletter - May 2021)

Seoul, KOR, 12 May 2021 -- After 5 years as a 'temporary missionary, 2016-2021' (agreement between two province, SDB Regulations art. 151) Fr Andrea Chang returned to his home province and was assigned to his hometown of Busan (Song-do community in the native place of late Fr John Lee). In the May edition of the Korean Provincial Newsletter Fr Chang shares his lessons and wisdom of past 5 years:

"...Looking back after 5 years of my missionary stay in Japan, honestly I share mixed feelings. Was it too long or too short? After my arrival home one senior confrere asked me: 'Your 3 years in Japan passed so fast?' - But it was not 3 years but 5 years. I spent 3 years in Tokyo, studying Japanese language (NB - but not full-time, with different breaks due to the circumstances)..."

"While studying Japanese, the first 3 years in Japan I spent in Tokyo, two years in Chofu community (formation house-oratory-parish) and one year in Meguro community (parish-oratory-kindergarten). After my Japanese language studies I started my pastoral life, but it was not an easy time to adjust to the different culture in the community and among the young people. The 'wall' of language became higher than I would image at the beginning. Although I was slowly adjusting to the language, there was a need of another extra energy to adjust to the culture in the pastoral work. Since I don't have any teacher's licence, I could not be assigned to the school, so I was sent to two different typical Japanese pastoral communities - Parish with the Kindergarten - in Meguro (Tokyo) and in Beppu (Kyushu island - South)...

..."While reflecting on the different Salesian work situation in Korea and Japan, I need to recognize that I was not able to 'enter more deeply' into this different pastoral situation due to my personal character and attitude. This is probably the main reason and difficulty, and why I finally decided to return to Korea..."

"...Although the mission in Japan province was not easy for me, I have experienced a 'province that is changing - transforming' - both in the fraternal community life as well in the effort to enter more deeply into the mission for poor young people.... If in the future another Korean confrere would like to have a good experience of Salesian life in Japan, my difficulties, success or failures may become a meaningful point of departure for him...I believe, that any confrere who has the heart and faith, would benefit from his Japan missionary experience..."

'... I am very grateful to all who sustained and accompanied me in Japan, and those who helped me with their prayers from Korea. Really I felt this wonderful support from both sides... Japan province is the closest neighbor to the Korean province, both languages are rather close to each other. If any Korean Salesian would open his heart to the Japan missionary life he would really gain a deep experience, since also in Japan there are many Salesian houses."

(Korea provincial newsletter n. 173, May 2021)

Related news articles:

20210513_KOR-(2).jpg

20210513_KOR-(3).jpg

20210513_KOR-(4).jpg

20210513_KOR-(5).jpg

20210513_KOR-(6).jpg

20210513_KOR-(7).jpg

20210513_KOR-(8).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5627(I)_Project Scraper launched at DBTS, Gabutu

A Mission Solidarity Project of Don Bosco Technical School in Papua New Guinea By Rica S. Lavilla Salesian Cooperator and Mission Group Animator DB Gabutu, Port Moresby, PNG, 9 June 2021 -- Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu launched its &l...
    Date2021.06.10 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1075 file
    Read More
  2. 5626(II)_Catholic Men of Christ the King Parish Tetere come together to re-evangelise Christian communities

By Parappilly Robinson, SDB Tetere, Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, 9 June 2021 -- Christ the King Parish, Tetere, has hosted its 3rd "Papas gathering" with the theme, Papas formed, Holy and sent forth for the mission following the theme for ...
    Date2021.06.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views900 file
    Read More
  3. 5626(I)_MSMHC Sisters in Myanmar 4 years after arrival

By Sr. Maria Naing, MSMHC Chin State, Myanmar, 9 June 2021 -- "We, the Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians (MSMHC) landed in the Chin Hills of Myanmar at the invitation of Bishop of Kalay, Feilx Lian Khen Thang. The pioneer sister...
    Date2021.06.09 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views547 file
    Read More
  4. 5625(I)_PGS Celebrates Salesian Mission Day 2021 Amidst the Pandemic

By Rica S. Lavilla – Salesian Cooperator Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG: -- The 5th of June 2021 brought together representatives from the different groups of the Salesian Family of the Vice Province of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands...
    Date2021.06.08 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views667 file
    Read More
  5. 5624(IV)_Jakarta Salesians Turn Trash to a Blessing

By Fr. Ambrosius Widiyantoro, SDB Wisma Salesian Don Bosco, Jakarta, 7 June 2021 -- Garbage is often a problem that never ends. Improper processing and public awareness play a big role in many places; the postnovitiate community of Wisma Sa...
    Date2021.06.07 CategoryINA Reply0 Views1151 file
    Read More
  6. 5624(III)_A Melanesian Salesian Beggar before God

By Cl. Bernard Kaiau SDB Jerusalem, Israel, 7 June 2021 -- Before making my perpetual profession last May 23, mixed feelings were popping up in my mind and heart. Feelings such as, “Am I worthy to make this perpetual promise?” &...
    Date2021.06.07 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views4039 file
    Read More
  7. 5624(II)_Convocation of the 12th Regional Congress of Don Bosco Past Pupils

By Secretary General PPDB World Confederation of the Past Pupils of Don Bosco, 6 June 2021 -- Five years after the 11th Regional Congress (Timor Leste, Dili - October 2016) the World Confederation President Mr. Michal Hort has convoked the ...
    Date2021.06.07 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views4218 file
    Read More
  8. 5624(I)_Inspiring young Catholic joins DB Indonesia's YouTube channel to witness to his faith

By Fr. Peter Tukan, SDB Jakarta, Indonesia, 7 June 2021 -- Indonesia is one the few countries in the world that have been producing the world best badminton athletes. Today, the country has Jonatan Christie, 23 years old Catholic, who occup...
    Date2021.06.07 CategoryINA Reply0 Views933 file
    Read More
  9. 5623(II)_Solidarity movement with Myanmar continues

By Fr. Václav Klement EAO Region, 5 June 2021 -- Yes, we may already have forgotten the suffering of the Myanmar people, but every day innocent Myanmar civilians and young people are being killed by the military, including yesterday ...
    Date2021.06.05 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views788 file
    Read More
  10. 5623(I)_Celebrating the month of Mary

Vunabosco, Kokopo PNG, 5 June 2021 -- The Month of May has been very special for the Kokopo Educative Pastoral Community. The students of Don Bosco Technical Secondary School together with the parishioners of Mary Help of Christians made a ...
    Date2021.06.05 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1161 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 537 Next
/ 537