?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1059 Comment 0

20210804_PGS-(1).jpg

By Isabella Saleu

Port Moresby, PNG, 5 August 2021 -- As we commence the month of August, for some, it may just be an ordinary month, but for me and my Salesian family, it is the month of our Father, Teacher and Friend - St. John Bosco. For us as Bosconians, it is the most exciting time of any year. It is the month that we all like to say we have a "second birthday." It is the only month where we have celebrations right through the month. I ponder on the programs of the past year.

Our program included the annual Rector's Cup. The opening of this event is such a splendid occasion as you see seas of different colours that represent different trades. Each with colourful banners and creative war cries accompanied by marches. The games itself are what we call "friendly wars" as friends separate to be in their classes to challenge each other in different sporting codes. Then we have the Battle of the Bands, where our youngsters showcase their talents in a group combination of singing, playing instruments and maybe some dancing to impress the judges! On occasions, a Musical on the life story of our Patron Saint titled 'Man with a Dream' may be staged. We had an Open House or sometimes referred to as a Technical Day and we have cultural shows. Here in Papua New Guinea, this is when our Bosconians dress in their traditional attires and share their traditional dances and songs. It is such a wonderful experience to see students embrace and be a part of their culture showcasing so much diversity yet, one under the Don Bosco banner.

There is also a Don Bosco quiz; drawing competitions, soccer table tournaments to find out the top 2 players of the school as soccer table is a Bosconian tradition. Individual fun games, face painting, talent and fashion shows, a quest for Mr and Ms Bosco and free choice dancing are all part of the entire month's activities. The highlight of all these however, is a Eucharistic Mass dedicated to St. John Bosco where one of our beloved Salesians will remind us once again of the life and values of Don Bosco and urge us to be like him. Then we will all sing WANTOK BOSCO with all our strength, our hearts and all our voices together like it was the last time we were singing. After that we would greet each other ‘Happy Feast Day Bosconian!' to the next Bosconian and the next Bosconian and the next Bosconian making sure hugs go around as well and end it with a special meal. The announcement of winners of all the activities at the last day of the month is what we close such an exhausting but fun-filled time!

My other Bosconian brothers and sisters will agree that life has never been the same after Don Bosco. Personally, this month truly humbles me, because I am again reminded of how a little boy at age 9 dreamt about me, how this little boy thought of me, my future, and gave his life to God to make sure I'd be properly guided and mentored to live my life to the fullest in all of God's graces.

To the very people that make things happen, of course every day is a time to say thank you but it never sounded so sincere and meaningful during the month of August to say it to the Priests and Brothers of the Salesians of Don Bosco as well as to the Salesian Sisters who continue to make that dream a reality exactly 206 years down. As our month arrives, from one Bosconian to another, happy, happy, happy celebrations to you, enjoy safely and responsibly in the spirit of Don Bosco! God bless you!

20210804_PGS-(2).jpg

20210804_PGS-(3).jpg

20210804_PGS-(4).jpg

20210804_PGS-(5).jpg

20210804_PGS-(6).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5676(II)_Salesian Missionary in Japan celebrates Diamond Jubilee (75) of Profession

Chofu (Tokyo), Japan, 21 August 2021 -- The 75th anniversary of profession of Salesian priest Fr Gaetano Compri has been celebrated at the Salesian Parish in Chofu, Tokyo on 15 August 2021. He professed his first vows at 16 years of age, on...
    Date2021.08.20 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views134155 file
    Read More
  2. 5676(I)_New Salesian deacon in Hong Kong

By CIN Soc Com Hong Kong, China, 21 August 2021 -- On 14 August – Saturday, Cl. Peter So Ming Hong was ordained deacon by His Eminence Cardinal Joseph Zen, Bishop Emeritus of Catholic Diocese of Hong Kong, at St. Anthony Parish, Hong ...
    Date2021.08.20 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views794822 file
    Read More
  3. 5675_“My Grace is enough for you.” (1 Cor. 12:9)

Six new Salesians vow to make First Profession By Br. Roel Jude L. Mallari, SDB Don Bosco Formation Center, Lawaan, Talisay City, Cebu, 06 August 2021 -- On the Feast of the Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ, we, the Christ-like Novi...
    Date2021.08.19 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1751 file
    Read More
  4. 5674_Charitable Activities of Salesian Communities in Vietnam during Covid times

By SC VIE Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam, 18 August 2021 -- The Covid pandemic crisis in Vietnam is increasing more and more seriously over the last two months. So far, there are 283,696 infected cases and 6,141 deaths because of Covid virus in ...
    Date2021.08.18 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1092 file
    Read More
  5. 5673(II)_In Silence, the Sown Seeds Keep Sprouting and Growing

Season of grace in the midst of an epidemic By Br. Pham Hong Phuoc, SDB Vietnam, 17 August 2021 -- July and August are months of grace for the Salesian Congregation all over the world and especially in the Province of Vietnam with its relig...
    Date2021.08.17 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views888 file
    Read More
  6. 5673(I)_Live Consecrated Life With A Child’s Heart In The Midst Of Severe Pandemic

By Cl. Dominic Truong Son, SDB Ben Cat community, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, 17 August 2021 -- Cleric Dominic Truong Son, SDB who has been doing his practical training at Ben Cat community had a short conversation with the 89-year-old Salesian b...
    Date2021.08.17 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views689 file
    Read More
  7. 5672(III)_Rector Major encourages EAO ADMA Congress preparation

ADMA EAO, 16 August 2021 -- D-26: Last four weeks of preparation for the Second ADMA Congress in the East Asia-Oceania region has seen the visible growing enthusiasm of ADMA and other Salesian Family members. Especially remarkable is the in...
    Date2021.08.16 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views952 file
    Read More
  8. 5672(II)_Don Bosco Tetere - first ADMA centre in Solomon Islands

By Fr. Robinson Parappilly Christ the King Parish Tetere, Solomon Islands, 16 August 2021 -- The Salesians have already celebrated 25 years in the Solomon Islands (1995-2020) and along with the first local SDB consecrated vocations, the mai...
    Date2021.08.16 CategoryPGS Reply1 Views1380 file
    Read More
  9. 5672(I)_ADMA TRAI GAO prepares for 2nd EAO Congress

By Fr. Trung Hoan, SDB VIE North Delegation Thai Binh, Vietnam, 15 August 2021 -- Don Bosco's charism came to Vietnam with the footprints of Servant of God, Fr. Andrej Majcen in October 1952. Now, along with the Don Bosco Province of Vi...
    Date2021.08.16 CategoryVIN Reply0 Views634 file
    Read More
  10. 5671(III)_Ordinations in Timor-Leste

By Fr. Jolino Vieira,SDB Mary Help of Christians Parish, Comoro-Dili, Timor-Leste, 15 August 2021 -- The Salesian congregation of TLS vice-province anticipated the Solemnity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary with the ordination o...
    Date2021.08.15 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views11628 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 538 Next
/ 538