?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1058 Comment 0

20210804_PGS-(1).jpg

By Isabella Saleu

Port Moresby, PNG, 5 August 2021 -- As we commence the month of August, for some, it may just be an ordinary month, but for me and my Salesian family, it is the month of our Father, Teacher and Friend - St. John Bosco. For us as Bosconians, it is the most exciting time of any year. It is the month that we all like to say we have a "second birthday." It is the only month where we have celebrations right through the month. I ponder on the programs of the past year.

Our program included the annual Rector's Cup. The opening of this event is such a splendid occasion as you see seas of different colours that represent different trades. Each with colourful banners and creative war cries accompanied by marches. The games itself are what we call "friendly wars" as friends separate to be in their classes to challenge each other in different sporting codes. Then we have the Battle of the Bands, where our youngsters showcase their talents in a group combination of singing, playing instruments and maybe some dancing to impress the judges! On occasions, a Musical on the life story of our Patron Saint titled 'Man with a Dream' may be staged. We had an Open House or sometimes referred to as a Technical Day and we have cultural shows. Here in Papua New Guinea, this is when our Bosconians dress in their traditional attires and share their traditional dances and songs. It is such a wonderful experience to see students embrace and be a part of their culture showcasing so much diversity yet, one under the Don Bosco banner.

There is also a Don Bosco quiz; drawing competitions, soccer table tournaments to find out the top 2 players of the school as soccer table is a Bosconian tradition. Individual fun games, face painting, talent and fashion shows, a quest for Mr and Ms Bosco and free choice dancing are all part of the entire month's activities. The highlight of all these however, is a Eucharistic Mass dedicated to St. John Bosco where one of our beloved Salesians will remind us once again of the life and values of Don Bosco and urge us to be like him. Then we will all sing WANTOK BOSCO with all our strength, our hearts and all our voices together like it was the last time we were singing. After that we would greet each other ‘Happy Feast Day Bosconian!' to the next Bosconian and the next Bosconian and the next Bosconian making sure hugs go around as well and end it with a special meal. The announcement of winners of all the activities at the last day of the month is what we close such an exhausting but fun-filled time!

My other Bosconian brothers and sisters will agree that life has never been the same after Don Bosco. Personally, this month truly humbles me, because I am again reminded of how a little boy at age 9 dreamt about me, how this little boy thought of me, my future, and gave his life to God to make sure I'd be properly guided and mentored to live my life to the fullest in all of God's graces.

To the very people that make things happen, of course every day is a time to say thank you but it never sounded so sincere and meaningful during the month of August to say it to the Priests and Brothers of the Salesians of Don Bosco as well as to the Salesian Sisters who continue to make that dream a reality exactly 206 years down. As our month arrives, from one Bosconian to another, happy, happy, happy celebrations to you, enjoy safely and responsibly in the spirit of Don Bosco! God bless you!

20210804_PGS-(2).jpg

20210804_PGS-(3).jpg

20210804_PGS-(4).jpg

20210804_PGS-(5).jpg

20210804_PGS-(6).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6279_Sharing the Spirit and Joy of St John Bosco With Young People in Sumba

By Asp. Gilbredt Steven Sumba, Indonesia, 2 February 2024 -- January is a very important month for the Salesian family. This month of January is filled with various important celebrations of Salesian saints, especially St Francis of Sales a...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryINA Reply0 Views61 file
    Read More
  2. 6278_DBYC Lawaan: Youth Vigil on Don Bosco's Feast Day

By Jesha Marie Tan Lawaan, Cebu, the Philippines, 2 February 2024 -- On 27 January 2024, the Don Bosco Youth Center-Lawaan organized its annual youth vigil titled 'Natug ka bai? Uswagi Gamay!' with the theme: BahanDREAMS: Dila-ab Sa...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views30 file
    Read More
  3. 6277_Australia-Pacific Provincial installed on St John Bosco’s Feast Day

By Fr. Hoang, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 2 February 2024 – It was a ‘family affair’ in so many ways: the installation of the new Salesian Provincial of the Australia-Pacific Province, Fr Peter Hoang, brought together Salesi...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views171 file
    Read More
  4. 6276_Celebrations for Don Bosco Hanoi

By Paul Minh Luận, SDB Hanoi- Vietnam, 1 February 2024 -- On 31 January, the Salesian Family of the North met at Don Bosco Van Phuc community to share Strenna 2024, celebrating the Feast of Don Bosco. The Regional Superior, Father Joseph Ng...
    Date2024.02.02 CategoryVIN Reply0 Views80 file
    Read More
  5. 6275_FIS - Celebrating St John Bosco

By Josh Andrey Din ArchSOLL, Cebu City, 1 February 2024 -- On 31 January 31 2024, members of the Salesian Youth Movement with its nine sodalities celebrated the feast day of St. John Bosco through games and food. Participants played modifie...
    Date2024.02.01 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views61 file
    Read More
  6. 6274_Empowering Education: DBTI Joins Catholic Schools in Teacher’s Commissioning Mass

By Patrina Kaboanga Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG 1 February 2024 -- Don Bosco Technological Institute (DBTI), Boroko, joined fifty-two (52) other Catholic agency schools belonging to the Archdiocese of Port Moresby at St Joseph Parish church, ...
    Date2024.02.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views91 file
    Read More
  7. 6273_150th anniversary of the Salesian Missions: a primer for the Salesian Community

By the Missions Sector team Give Thanks: We give thanks to God for the gift of missionary vocation, which enables the sons of Don Bosco today to reach out to poor and abandoned youth in 136 countries. Rethink: This is an opportune occasion ...
    Date2024.01.31 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views138 file
    Read More
  8. 6272_DBES Common Salesianity Formation

By Miss Rosene Apurado, HOD- Technical & RE/PD/Sports Department, Caritas Technical Secondary School Don Bosco Technical Institute- East Boroko, 31 January 2024 -- In the dynamic scope of education, where methodologies evolve, and philo...
    Date2024.01.31 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views40 file
    Read More
  9. 6271_Salesian Aspirants Stage ‘Dream’ Academy

By FIN-CSCom News Service Photos by Mr. John Villafania 30 January 2024, Laguna, the Philippines -- The Don Bosco Aspirantate Formation House community staged an academy entitled “Libre Lang Mangarap” (It's Free to Dream) in...
    Date2024.01.31 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views53 file
    Read More
  10. 6270_Synod of Bishops Secretary General Visits DB Mandaluyong

By FIN-CSCom News Service DBTC Mandaluyong, Manila, The Philippines, 30 January 2024 -- Don Bosco Technical College (DBTC) in Mandaluyong welcomed Cardinal Mario Grech, Secretary General of the Synod of Bishops, on 26 January 2024. Cardinal...
    Date2024.01.30 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views59 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 537 Next
/ 537