Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
PGS
2021.11.21 17:22

5732(III)_Moved By Hope

Views 647 Comment 0

20211121_PGS-(1).jpg

Don Bosco Global Youth Film Festival

By Isabella Saleu

Port Moresby, PNG 21 November 2021 -- Fifteen films from the shortlisted 110 short films of the Don Bosco Global Youth Film Festival were screened at the Paradise Cinema, Vision City on 19 November 2021. Covid-19 protocols limited the viewers to only 100 participants.

Present as special guest was the Apostolic Nunciature to Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands, His Excellency Fermin Emilio Sosa Rodriguez, accompanied by his secretary, Fr. Jacek Pinocy.

Also in attendance were priests, religious, Brothers and aspirants from the different houses of the Salesians of Don Bosco, including the Provincial Superior, Fr. Gregorio Bicomong Jnr sdb. Students, teachers, Past Pupils, friends of Don Bosco and professionals interested in the media and its positive influence on young people were also present to show their support.

The theme of the Festival, Moved by Hope, comes from the 2021 Strenna of the Rector Major of the Salesians, Fr. Angel Fernandez Artime.

In Papua New Guinea, facilitated by the Social Communications Commission of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands, it was a time of reflection and discussion as the films were screened, giving the opportunity to those present to truly understand the situations faced by young people in different societies of the world and relate it to a more local context.

The audience were reminded of how fortunate they were to be part of the screening and were challenged to take up the invitation of being beacons of hope to those around them, especially to those affected by the situation of the pandemic. They were also encouraged to be persons who promote positive growth in their homes and communities.

“The theme is Moved by Hope but who gives us hope? It is God. Hope is one of the theological gifts in our hearts that we cannot keep; we have to share it. Giving hope is part of human nature. Hope is the most important thing that God is always asking of us. We are part of a community, we are part of the Church and we will build them with this hope.”, the Apostolic Nuncio encouraged.

He added that he was very happy to be part of the audience and discover the imagination and creativity of those that created the films as they were touching and relatable to our lives. He also said apart from living in the pandemic for almost two years, as young people we also have problems at home and with studies and, but we must know that we have solutions of hope in our hearts.

Quoting Pope Francis, “A smile is a very contagious virus”, Fr. Gregorio said he believed a smile was the best instrument of hope that could also be used to evangelize people. He extended his gratitude to Social Communications Secretary Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb, for organising the event.

Representatives from different media organisations were also present to cover the program. For those who missed out, you can also watch the live streaming on the Facebook page of Radio Maria Papua New Guinea.

Comments from the audience:

“Very enriching, inspiring and challenging. We could also share this with those who are not of the Salesian family, especially the young people.” – Mayette B C

“I liked that the films had a lot of positive messages to give hope to the youths and that these messages are channelled using technology. I suggest that this be spread throughout the country.” – Carolyn Ketsimur

“What I liked was seeing young people come together to share their thoughts after the films that showed real life situations.” – Severina Nangile

“I hope this continues on into the future. My hope for young people is to view the films in the eyes of God and consider those who need help.” – Augustine Opi

“Encourage more students and young people in PNG to participate in creating and developing short films.” – Jelena Tedumo

“This event made me learn how to spread hope and increased my love for others as well as nature.” – Noel Lawrence

20211121_PGS-(2).jpg

20211121_PGS-(3).jpg

20211121_PGS-(4).jpg

20211121_PGS-(5).jpg

20211121_PGS-(6).jpg

20211121_PGS-(7).jpg

20211121_PGS-(8).jpg

20211121_PGS-(9).jpg

20211121_PGS-(10).jpg

20211121_PGS-(11).jpg

20211121_PGS-(12).jpg

20211121_PGS-(13).jpg

20211121_PGS-(14).jpg

20211121_PGS-(15).jpg

20211121_PGS-(16).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5749(V)_Advent recollection organized by Salesian Youth Movement of TLS Vice-Province 0

2. 5749(IV)_VIN: Monthly Recollection of Hoa An Community 0

3. 5749(III)_End of school year celebrations, Quetta 0

4. 5749(II)_Caritas Sisters, Japan, welcome 3 new novices 0

5. 5749(I)_Afghan Refugees assisted by Lahore SDB Community 0

6. 5748(III)_CDB vocation is growing in the EAO: first professions in FIN 0

7. 5748(II)_Quinquennium Course in MYM Viceprovince 2021 0

8. 5748(I)_My poor country and my poor people - please, don't forget us! 0

9. 5747(III)_Vietnam: Opening Ceremony of new course for Aspirants 0

10. 5747(II)_Dili Salesian Cooperators Centre renews leadership 0

List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 537 Next
/ 537