Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1958 Comment 0

20181026_CAM.jpg

Interview with Cl. Anthony Hoang, practical trainee in Cambodia

By Our Own Correspondent

Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 26 October 2018 -- At present there are a few practical trainees in our Region who are being assigned for one or two years away from their country or province - like from Japan or Indonesia to Papua New Guinea, from Vietnam to the Philippines. Anthony is from Vietnam and continuing his second year of practical training. At present there are four practical trainees in Cambodia: the two first Khmer Salesians, Cl. Nary and Mony, one newly arrived missionary of the 149th missionary expedition, Cl. Raymond from India and Cl. Anthony. The multicultural community of Phnom Penh brings together SDBs from Cambodia, India, Philippines and Vietnam and Lay missionary volunteers from Australia (Cagliero Project).

How do you feel in Cambodia after your first year of missionary experience?

After more than one year as a practical trainee in Cambodia, I feel happy and am enjoying the stay here. I have a lot of work to do among the young people. I have a wonderful community to live together with and especially, I'm faithful to my personal timetable and personal prayer. That makes me happy and joyful every day.

What makes you happy at Phnom Penh - Don Bosco?

Two things make me happy here. First, I always remember and follow some advice from one priest in Vietnam (He is my spiritual father and guide). I always share with him, I open my heart to him and he gives me advice which I will follow. Second: I give thanks for the General Chapter 27's inspiration: "God – community – young". I always remember and try to do the same and now I have time for God, time for community and time for the young.

What is the challenge for the young practical trainee – temporary missionary?

I think, that for me, the challenge is not to be just a temporary missionary or missionary foreve, but the important thing is how to correctly live the mission of Don Bosco day by day.

What did you learn from young Khmer Besucco students as their Assistant?

After one year the first thing I have learned from the young Khmer students is their patience and humble heart. The second thing I have learned to understand about them is that hey are passive and not confident.

What would you advise the SDB postnovices in our Region?

Based on my personal experience in the family spirit, I would like to share with my 'younger brothers'.

• We need to have God in our hearts
  • We live together with the community, share with the community, trust the community and how to make the community happy
  • We need to have a spiritual guide (a Cafasso-like priest or soul friend)
  • We need to be open and try to understand better the culture of the young

We pray for our missionary practical trainees and all those who accompany them. Their daily commitment is a good reminder to all 1450 Salesians of our Region to go out of their comfort zone and reach out to poor young people!

20181026_CAM1.jpg

20181026_CAM2.jpg

20181026_CAM3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4894(II)_The World needs the Salesian Family 0

2. 4894(I)_Salesian mission continues with renewed energy 0

3. 4893(III)_"Salesian Cooperators: called to be co-responsible in responding to the new challenges” 0

4. 4893(II)_Young Volunteers celebrate Missions Month with Senior SDB missionaries 0

5. 4893(I)_Time for God, for the community, for the young 0

6. 4892_Vocations - SYM - Volunteers: Focus of Youth Ministry in Japan 0

7. 4891(II)_The Spirituality of the Playground 2

8. 4891(I)_Missionary Gratitude and Commitment 0

9. 4890_Young Volunteers reflect on the DBVG 2018 1

10. 4889(II)_"Community of Communities Together with the Youth" 0

List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 ... 537 Next
/ 537