Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5358

20200417_CIN.jpg

"Always try to see the best in people"

By 'Macau News'

Macau, China, 17 April 2020 -- Known and beloved by many of the faithful in Macau, Father Aidan Conroy has been serving as a priest in the city for over 40 years and has been in Asia for nearly 60 years.

Born 1 February 1939 in Cork City, Ireland, to a family of eight as the fifth child, Conroy had always wanted to become a priest. But initially, it was actually his elder brother’s ambition, one that Conroy himself considered for all the “wrong” reasons.

Having lived near a golf course throughout his childhood, he frequently glimpsed past its fence when heading home from school every day and saw priests playing golf. This had a young Conroy pondering becoming a priest someday – to get to play golf. “Of course, it was a wrong reason for becoming a priest, but the idea was planted,” he adds.

He also admired his elder brother – who wanted to be a priest – as a good footballer and, wanting to be good at the sport himself, priesthood yet again piqued Conroy’s interest. “Another wrong reason!”

Whatever his early reasoning, Conroy’s parents were happy with his choice and he entered Salesian Secondary College in Pallaskenry, County Limerick in Ireland for his junior cycle of secondary education in 1952. “All of us aspired to be priests and missionaries,” he says. “But not all persevered.”

He was happy there and went forward to the next stage, the novitiate year, a period of deep reflection and preparation before taking his first vows. Conroy then completed two years of philosophy and academic studies, followed by two years of practical training in Ireland.

During his novitiate, the Salesians of Don Bosco Society had asked for volunteers for Hong Kong. “I think we all volunteered,” he recalls. He would not make the journey east, however, until after he completed his training in 1962. Conroy taught at Hong Kong’s Tang King Po School, a secondary school founded by the Salesians in 1953, from 1962 to 1969.

Before being assigned to Macau, he returned to Ireland for theological studies at Maynooth College, in north County Kildare of Ireland, known as the “national seminary” of Ireland, and remained there for four years. Ordained on December 17, 1972, Conroy returned to Hong Kong in 1973.

Conroy made the move to Macau in 1975, taking an official teaching position at Instituto Salesiano (IS), one of the city’s oldest educational institutions, founded in 1906 by Fr Louis Versiglia near the end of the Qing dynasty.

He taught English at IS, then a vocational school for boys. As Conroy shares, in the early years – before students could aspire to university education – it was their mission to make their graduates easily employable once they left IS. He stopped teaching five years ago, but still does some composition work with pupils who volunteer for some extra work. “Of course, as a priest,” he says, “I will never retire until someone tells me I am past my ‘sell by date’!”

With extra time on his hands – and if he’s not in Ireland for his biannual trip to visit family – he likes to read for relaxation. Conroy says that he’d always enjoy a Robert Ludlum book. Aside from that, his favourite spiritual writer is F. Jack McArdle: “I like his simple, homely, down-to-earth style.”

A quote he’d like to share is this: “Always try to see the best in people; we all have good points, even though no one is perfect, and we are equally loved by God.”

20200417_CIN1.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5368(III)_Life jackets of hope: Don Bosco Tondo and CoViD 19

ALA_5368 By SOCCOM FIN Tondo, Manila, Philippines, 5 May 2020 -- Tondo, the heart of the metropolis and known as the most populous district in the city of Manila making up 38.0 percent of the total population of the city (https://psa.gov.ph...
    Date2020.05.05 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1483 file
    Read More
  2. 5368(II)_EAO Region Photo Archives are online

ALA_5368 By our own correspondent EAO, 5 May 2020 -- As one of the EAO social communication delegates dreams, the EAO Photo Archives are now online, visible on BOSCOLINK (www.bosco.link) under the 'EAO Photo icon among the links at the bott...
    Date2020.05.05 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views766 file
    Read More
  3. 5368(I)_Mission for the Vietnamese migrant workers in Japan

ALA_5368 By Interview with Br. Joseph Do Phuc Hai Vietnamese missionary in Japan Chofu, Japan, 4 May 2020 -- How do you feel in Tokyo-Chofu (Japan) community during your first year of your stay? First of all, I would like to thank God for t...
    Date2020.05.05 CategoryGIA Reply1 Views571 file
    Read More
  4. 5367(III)_Praying for vocations

ALA_5367 Good Shepherd Sunday Homily 2020 By Bishop Patrick Buzon, SDB Bacolod diocese - Negros, Philippines, 3 May 2020 -- The Good Shepherd is one of the most loved images of Jesus among Christians. In fact, the earliest icon of Jesus fou...
    Date2020.05.04 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1121 file
    Read More
  5. 5367(II)_China Province moving forward together

ALA_5367 Goodnight prepared for the GC28 By Fr. Joseph Ng Provincial - China province China Province, 4 May 2020 -- I believe one of the common experience we have is the Six-Year Road Map received from the Rector Major. In the case of China...
    Date2020.05.04 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views925 file
    Read More
  6. 5367(I)_The Salesian Family in Thailand Unites In the Fight Against Covid 19

ALA_5367 By THA SC Bangkok, 2 May 2020 -- The crisis situation of the spread of the virus Covid 19 in Thailand is continuously improving. The number of those infected is going down, especially in this past last week when those infected did ...
    Date2020.05.04 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views658 file
    Read More
  7. 5366(II)_Rejoice! - Salesian Mission Day 2020

ALA_5366 Mission frontiers in Europe - Oratory By EAO missions sector EAO, 2 May 2020 -- Salesian Mission Day 2020 focuses on Initial proclamation in the context of the Oratory in Europe. As is the case every year since 1988, each Salesian ...
    Date2020.05.02 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views793 file
    Read More
  8. 5366(I)_Make the dream of Don Bosco come true in Hong Kong and Macau!

ALA_5366 Invitation to join Don Bosco's dream in China Interview with Fr. Carlos Cheung Hong Kong - China, CIN province, 2 May 2020 -- Salesians arrived in Hong Kong some 100 years ago. What is the main field of Salesian mission now? The ma...
    Date2020.05.02 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1525 file
    Read More
  9. 5365(II)_Port Moresby: DBTI students recommence classes

ALA_5365 By Fr Ambrose Pereira sdb Boroko, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 1 May 2020 -- With the resumption of tertiary level classes on Monday 27 April and secondary classes on Monday, 4 May, students and staff are to follow strict precau...
    Date2020.05.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views487 file
    Read More
  10. 5365(I)_Prevention is Better than Cure

ALA_5365 By Don Bosco Missions, PGS Vice Province May 1, 2020, Port Moresby - The Don Bosco Missions, PGS Vice Province, has been actively involved in preventing the spread of the Coronavirus in Papua New Guinea and in the Solomon Islands t...
    Date2020.05.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views619 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 ... 538 Next
/ 538