Giving of ourselves for the good of our community
Apia, Samoa, 5 December 2019 -- Fr. Petelo Vito Pau, SDB is the Delegate for the Pacific in the Australia Pacific (AUL) Province. He has been accompanying and journeying with Cagliero volunteers since 2010. Here are some of his reflections on hosting volunteers:
Please describe your experience of hosting volunteers.
• It has been a wonderful, animating and challenging experience. Just by being a recipient community for volunteers is a wonderful and unique opportunity. They bring something unique that vibrates and animates the life of our community.
What was one of the greatest joys of hosting volunteers?
• The volunteers had been part and parcel of our community life. Their valuable contributions to the community members, especially the confreres in formation, through their talents and expertise. They strengthen our practice of hospitality and generosity.
What was the one of the biggest challenges of hosting volunteers?
• Cultural misunderstanding/confusion. And just to see them unhappy, whatever reason(s) they encounter in their work and in the recipient community. Trying to make them happy in their work.
Describe one thing you learned from hosting volunteers?
• To make sure volunteers should be part and parcel of our community life and mission. The community members need to see the importance of their contributions to the mission and also to our community. We are all together for the benefit of our mission.
How does the presence of volunteers impact the life of your community?
• Volunteers challenge the community to be more life giving, giving of ourselves for the good of our community. To learn from them that the giving of one’s self (as missionary, volunteer, leaving family and country) gives joy to the heart and enriches the person. They challenge us to be missionaries for the Lord.
How does the presence of volunteers enable you to live the dream of Don Bosco?
• By collaborating and cooperating together for the mission. They remind me/community that we are all missionaries of God’s love for the young, we are a mission. The presence of volunteers challenges me/community to see beyond than just our own local environment. Don Bosco is for all young people, especially the poor. To work together for the good of the young.