Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
FIN
2019.07.24 16:39

5148(I)_Living a Life of Prayer

Views 918 Comment 1

20190724_FIN.jpg

Joint Seminar-Workshop on Prayer, Discernment, and Spiritual Direction

By Prenov. Roel Jude L. Mallari

Canlubang, Calamba City, the Philippines, 23 July, 2019 -- The Prenovices from the Philippines-North Province (FIN), Philippines-South Province (FIS), FIS-Pakistan and Myanmar (MYM), convened at the Don Bosco Prenovitiate Formation House for a joint seminar on Prayer, Discernment, and Spiritual Direction which was facilitated by Fr. Donnie Duchin Duya, SDB. This was held from 17 to 19 July.

The main objectives of the seminar were:

1. to help us familiarize ourselves with the what and why of prayer, discernment, and spiritual direction;
  2. to assist us be aware of our inner dynamics and interior movements in prayer; and
  3. to accompany us in acquiring the skills needed to be discerning in the goings-on during prayer and in everyday life.

By the end of our formation year--and even all throughout our lives--we must be equipped with the fundamental skills and foundational principles which are necessary for the Salesian life. Prayer, discernment, & spiritual direction are all non-negotiables in this regard.

Fr. Donnie began the seminar workshop by asking what our expectations are for the days that would ensue. He also asked what questions were in our minds as we were beginning to talk about prayer. Two responses from my fellow prenovices particularly caught my attention: “How do I improve my relationship with God?” and “How can I live a Christian life?” This, perhaps, was a strategy employed by Fr. Donnie so that he may properly situate himself with our current outlook on prayer. And, quite interestingly for me, these two questions rang a bell and were, in the end, answered succinctly.

During the first session, Fr. Donnie reiterated that praying enriches the living, and the living enriches the praying. Right there and then, I realized that real prayer must lead us to go beyond ourselves and impel us to show our love for God by loving and serving our neighbor, which will in turn inspire us to pray even better. This is a means of improving one’s relationship with the Lord, that when he prays, he serves. And that is the life of a Christian—one centered on prayer and service.

Still in one of our sessions, Fr. Donnie started discussing about three perspectives about prayer coined by Thomas Hart, author of “The Art of Christian Listening." The first perspective is that prayer is an activity, wherein one sets aside some time to pray from the rest of the things he does, like praying the rosary, going to Mass, praying before sleeping.

The second perspective is that prayer is a relationship with God, where one engages in friendly, casual conversation with the Lord about one’s own life and aspirations. The third perspective is that prayer is all of living, when there is no more dichotomy between praying and living. Here, one prays as he works, sings, dances, studies, plays, etc. Hence, praying becomes entirely an essential part of the system in one’s daily life.

Fr. Donnie also shared some strategies and nuggets of wisdom on how we can concentrate more in prayer, how we can meditate more meaningfully, how we can be made more aware of God’s presence in our daily lives, and how we can discern the good spirit’s promptings.

The bottom line for me is this: the life of prayer is a life of love—love for God in contemplation and meditation, love for others in contemplative action and service, and love for self in the gradual attainment of holiness in actively praying always. So, the challenge remains: pray without ceasing! (1 Thess 5:17)

20190724_FIN1.jpg

20190724_FIN2.jpg

20190724_FIN3.jpg

20190724_FIN4.jpg

20190724_FIN5.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5181(II)_Wonderful Salesian intercontinental enrichment in Sandor community

By Fr János Andrásfalvy, SDB Delegate for formation (UNG-Hungary) Parañaque, Philippines, 22 August 2019 -- "I am very glad to be here in the Salesian House which was named after Steven (Istvan) Sándor, our beloved Hungarian blessed Salesia...
    Date2019.08.25 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views956 file
    Read More
  2. 5156(III)_Selamat Datang - Kuching!

Young people in Malaysia waiting for more Salesians By Our Own Correspondent Kuching, Malaysia, 1st August 2019 -- Exactly one year after the previous animation visit the two Salesian missionaries, Fr Andre Belo and Fr Ramon Borja (FIN prov...
    Date2019.08.01 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1493 file
    Read More
  3. 5149_A Gentle Salesian meets his Creator

Fr. Hilario Tamona passed away By Fr. Favie Faldas, SDB DBTI Makati-Manila, Philippines, 19 July 2019 -- A gentle Salesian, Fr. Hilario (Larry) Constantino Garcia Tamonan (1946-2019) was called by his Creator last July 12 after 54 faithful ...
    Date2019.07.25 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1743 file
    Read More
  4. 5148(I)_Living a Life of Prayer

Joint Seminar-Workshop on Prayer, Discernment, and Spiritual Direction By Prenov. Roel Jude L. Mallari Canlubang, Calamba City, the Philippines, 23 July, 2019 -- The Prenovices from the Philippines-North Province (FIN), Philippines-South Pr...
    Date2019.07.24 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views918 file
    Read More
  5. 5141(I)_Thanks for the Pilgrimage and Thanks for the Road Map

By Fr Gerry Martin, SDB FIN Provincial Rome, Italy, 14 July 2019 -- The 82nd Road Map has been given by the Rector Major, Fr Ángel F. Artime, to another new provincial. This time Fr. Gerardo Martin (Gerry) spent his few days in the General ...
    Date2019.07.16 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1443 file
    Read More
  6. 5138_My life as a translator

By Agnes P., VDB Manila, the Philippines, 12 July 2019 -- Salesiana Publishers came out with the Don Bosco comics entitled “Johnny,” consisting of six issues on the life and times of Don Bosco. This was followed by the comics on Dominic Sav...
    Date2019.07.14 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views581 file
    Read More
  7. 5137(II)_Discerning together

Synodo 2 By Br. Anthony Wale SDB Makati City, the Philippines, 6 July 2019 ---The Philippines North Province (FIN) continues its process in renewing Salesian Youth Ministry in the Province in this Year of the Youth in the country, through i...
    Date2019.07.13 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views1527 file
    Read More
  8. 5137(I)_Educators Conference for Don Bosco Schools FIN 2019

By Don Bosco Press Makati City, the Philippines, 2 July 2019 --- More than five hundred representatives from the different Don Bosco-Basic Education Departments of the Philippine-North Province (FIN) gathered in Don Bosco Technical Institut...
    Date2019.07.13 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views681 file
    Read More
  9. 5132(I)_Summer Urban and Rural Immersion Program

By Cl. Jarmy Reignier A. Roxas, SDB Paranaque City, the Philippines, 30 June 2019 -- Salesian clerics from the Seminaryo ng Don Bosco (SnDB) have undergone their summer immersion program both in urban and rural settings. The objectives of t...
    Date2019.07.08 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views909 file
    Read More
  10. 5122_DB TECH ASEAN - First year of EAO TVET networking

Interview with DB Tech ASEAN coordinator, Fr Dindo Vitung By Our Own Correspondent Makati, the Philippines, 20 June 2019 -- What does 'TVET' mean? And how many Don Bosco TVETs are in our Region? TVET stands for Technical Vocational Educatio...
    Date2019.06.22 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views670 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 44 Next
/ 44