Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1548 Comment 0

20180830_THA.jpg

Interview with Bro. Paul Chun, SDB

By Fr. Anthony Piya, SDB

Bangkok, Thailand, 29 August 2018 -- The Don Bosco Bangkok community with it's complete charismatic setting of Home (boarding house), School (Technical school), Playground (all possible large place where daily SDB, teachers and students meet) and Church (Don Bosco Public church) is known also as the 'Valdocco' of Thailand. One of the 6 community members is Br. Paul Chun, the most senior Thai confrere (90 years of age, 63rd year of Salesian profession).

Why did you become Salesian Brother?

After a life-saving accident (almost drown in water) I wanted to help others. When asked if Priest or Brother, I have chosen to be a Salesian Brother, because in that times the priest were not able to move out of the school compound, but the Brothers were more free to go around!

You are the most senior Thai confrere, how do you care about your health?

I don't take any medicine, no medical check up. Once i was ask to undergo a surgery, but I refused. Until now, I try to move (with the stick) and be available in the playground near the Don Bosco Church to meet people and the young.

You spent most of your Salesian life in Don Bosco Bangkok, do you enjoy this house?

Yes, i still remember that initial stage, when all around was no other building, just a forest (NB - now it the mosty busy Bangkok city center) and canal for transportation.

What about your family?

I'm the third of 12 siblings, half of them already in heaven. Just yesterday I have attended in Ratchburi the funeral of my younger brother.

Did you visit the Salesian Holy Places?

Yes, thanks to two Salesian pilgrimages to Europe, I was able also to meet the Pope (John Paul II) and visit Valdocco and Becchi.

What memories of your apostolate you treasure most?

During the difficult times after the war we were 'collecting' boys without parents coming from Vietnam or Burma and in front of the government we officialy figured as their 'fathers'. In this way I became a father to some 70 orphaned boys. And of course I treasure very much the experience of the Festive Oratory. There were times we spent long time to look for the food for our boarder boys, always out of the 'convent', begging around and coming back even the next day morning.

What is specialization as Salesian Brother?

I was a teacher, instructor in the automotive section, catechist to our boys and kind of economer, procurator in the difficult times.

What is your favorite prayer?

I used to pray in front of the statue of St. Joseph [now waking up at 2 AM and praying since early morning in the Don Bosco Church. I pray often this short prayer: 'Jesus, lead me today!' - 'Jesus help to accept also this day!' I pray every day for the Rector Major and for all other Salesians (top - down).

What makes you happy as Salesian Brother?

I'm happy that God saves me in paradise - in heaven, as Don Bosco promised us! So now I have to work!

20180830_THA1.jpg

20180830_THA2.jpg

20180830_THA3.jpg

20180830_THA4.jpg

20180830_THA5.jpg

20180830_THA6.jpg

20180830_THA7.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4839_Tomorrow we will do what you are doing today!

Formation aims to touch the hearts [of young Salesians] By Our Own Correspondent Hua Hin, Thailand, 3 September 2018 -- The 33 participants of the EAO and South Asia Postnovitiate formation meeting in Hua Hin had a busy Sunday: the whole mo...
    Date2018.09.03 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views904 file
    Read More
  2. 4838(III)_Ready to accompany the young generations of the postnovices

South and East Asia Postnovitiate formators meeting in Hua Hin By Our Own Correspondent Hua Hin, Thailand, 1 September 2018 -- From September 1 to 4 in the Don Bosco Retreat House in Hua Hin the 30 formators and teaching staff of the Salesi...
    Date2018.09.02 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1171 file
    Read More
  3. 4837(II)_Challenging journey with the young in Bangkok

Saint Dominic School almost 60 years at the heart of Bangkok By Our Own Correspondent Bangkok, Thailand, 31 August 2018 -- Almost 2300 students and 173 teachers and staff of St Dominic School (Primary and Secondary education) at the heart o...
    Date2018.09.01 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views964 file
    Read More
  4. 4836_How is the Valdocco of Thailand today?

Don Bosco Technological College shines after 70 years By Our Own Correspondent Bangkok, Thailand, 30 August 2018 -- Since 1949 the Don Bosco Technical School in Bangkok (http://55.donboscobkk.ac.th) does journey with the youth in need, work...
    Date2018.08.31 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views929 file
    Read More
  5. 4835(II)_62 years of joyful religious life

Interview with Bro. Paul Chun, SDB By Fr. Anthony Piya, SDB Bangkok, Thailand, 29 August 2018 -- The Don Bosco Bangkok community with it's complete charismatic setting of Home (boarding house), School (Technical school), Playground (all pos...
    Date2018.08.30 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1548 file
    Read More
  6. 4834(II)_First fruits of charismatic dialogue in Thailand

Apostolic consecration and Lay mission partners By Our Own Correspondent Bangkok, Thailand, 28 August 2018 -- Each extraordinary visitation is according the letter of the Rector Major a special time to foster the communion of each confrere ...
    Date2018.08.29 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1007 file
    Read More
  7. 4833(II)_Dominic Savio, Youth Model

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 24 August 2018 -- Saint Dominic School celebrated Saint Dominic's Day, the patron of the school to remind students of their good deeds. It is a good example of showing how to behave and act as a good youth. On A...
    Date2018.08.28 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1316 file
    Read More
  8. 4831(III)_Important time of growing in communion with the Rector Major

Thailand-Cambodia-Laos (THA) Province extraordinary visitation starts By Fr. Ekasit Andrea, SDB Bangkok, Thailand, 25 August 2018 -- Today on August 25, Fr Václav Klement, Councillor for the East Asia-Oceania Region, started his Extraordina...
    Date2018.08.26 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views944 file
    Read More
  9. 4830(II)_Catechetical Commission of Salesian Family Meeting

By Fr. Andrea Ekasit, SDB Bangkok, Thailand, 23 August 23 2018 -- Fr. Ekasit Talhakultorn who is in charge of Catechism for the THA province invited people who are in charge of Catechism of Salesian Family in Thailand which consist of Sales...
    Date2018.08.25 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views640 file
    Read More
  10. 4828(II)_The 6th Cycling Event Pakgred – Bang Sai

Young visually impaired of Bang Sai Royal Center By Fr. Dran Nolasco, SDB Bang Sai, Thailand, 19 August 2018 -- The Skills Development Center for the Blind, in partnershipwith the Muang Thong Cycling Club, organized the 6th Cycling Event: P...
    Date2018.08.24 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views834 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 32 Next
/ 32