PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 2282 Comment 0
ALA_5440

20200809_PGS2.jpg

Reflection of the COVID-19 lockdown

By Clyde Dickson, Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko

DBTI, Port Moresby, PNG, 9 August 2020 -- COVID-19 has been the most terrifying time for me to be alive. It has been a similar experience for me and most of my companions as well. For us in Port Moresby it has been the second time of lockdown since the pandemic. Millions of people are dying around the globe because of the COVID-19 virus. Papua New Guinea has not been extremely affected by the virus, but with the recent second wave, we have had over 188 confirmed cases. The increasing daily statistics is very frightening. The greatest fear is that we as a country do not have the resources, facilities, expertise nor specialized doctors to help fight the virus. We also understand that at DBTI we lack the capacity to manage it should anyone be affected. I feel so helpless and hopeless in a situation where I am far away from my family and home and believe my fellow colleagues feel the same way too, as we continuously share our doubts, fears and frustrations.

Putting on a face mask and self-quarantine is difficult and needs time to adjust and adapt. As one who struggles with anxiety and depression, this is a stressful time. People feel bored, tired of seeing the same place and same faces, tired of eating the same food. Some of us are afraid that we might lose our loved ones. We are anxious about our education and we wonder if we will get jobs or lose even the ones we already have. Being locked inside our homes is tough. And all these different emotions and feelings, locked inside our heads has taken a toll on our mental health. It also makes us disconnected and vulnerable to other post traumatic issues.

Dear friends, we need to view the world through a different lens. 'The New Normal' should be put into practice. I encourage you to get rid of that negative little voice in your head. Don’t let it take up space in your head, don’t let it take up space in your home. Be kind to yourself, love yourself. If you can figure out a healthy way to manage your internal narrative, it will be a refreshing breeze that gives you inner peace and opens you to a destiny when the world re-opens.

Where we once saw garbage dumps, and useless waste, we must now see creative spaces that will inspire us to change our attitudes. If we want to survive COVID-19 and emerge a better person, let’s see the world through the eyes of St Don Bosco. Let’s unleash our creativity within and reflect on creative ways to reach out to our brothers and sisters.

Stay healthy, stay safe, stay indoors.

20200809_PGS201.jpg

20200809_PGS202.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5468(I)_Silver Jubilee, Don Bosco Kumgi PNG

ALA_5468  By Fr. Savio Angelo Sanchez, SDB Kumgi, Simbu Province, PNG, 16 September 2020 -- 25 years ago, at the invitation of Bishop William Kurtz SVD, the pioneer Salesian missionaries came to the Diocese of Kundiawa in Simbu Province t...
    Date2020.09.16 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views379 file
    Read More
  2. 5467(II)_Don Bosco Technical School Gabutu holds a Tri-Celebration

ALA_5467 By Mr. Leo Paraha Gabutu, Papua New Guinea, 13 September 2020 -- The Don Bosco Technical School (DBTS) community gathered round the Parents, Citizens and Teachers Association (PCTA) Park on the 11th September to partake in the Tri...
    Date2020.09.14 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1206 file
    Read More
  3. 5461(III)_Under the coconut trees

ALA_5461 Experience of a volunteer from the Czech Republic By Jaroslav Střasák Port Moresby, Papua new Guinea, 3 September 2020 -- It was 10 February and I stood at the Jacksons International Airport, Port Moresby. At long last and after e...
    Date2020.09.03 CategoryPGS Reply2 Views673 file
    Read More
  4. 5458(III)_DBTI Port Moresby celebrates the 205th Birthday of Don Bosco

ALA_5458 By Lucy Napitalai DBTI East Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG, 27 August 2020 -- On Thursday, 27 August, the staff and students of Don Bosco Technological Institute celebrated the 205th Birthday of St John Bosco amidst the pandemic. The f...
    Date2020.08.31 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views453 file
    Read More
  5. 5453(I)_Port Moresby's DBTI Integrated Waste Management Project

ALA_5453 By Fr. Ariel Macatangay SDB DBTI Economer Port Moresby, PNG, 25 August 2020 -- A confluence of factors contributed to make us initiate an Integrated Waste Management Plan this year at Don Bosco Technological Institute (DBTI). Firs...
    Date2020.08.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views638 file
    Read More
  6. 5446(VI)_Don Bosco Celebrations Kumgi PNG

ALA_5446 By Fr. Savio Angel Sanchez, SDB Kumgi, Papua New Guinea, 17 August 2020 -- In anticipation of the 205th birth anniversary of Saint John Bosco, the Salesian Educative Pastoral Community of Don Bosco Simbu Technical College had Nove...
    Date2020.08.17 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views700 file
    Read More
  7. 5446(III)_MHC Parish Rapolo Celebrates St John Bosco

ALA_5446 By Fr. Moïse Palaku, SDB Rapolo, Kokopo, New Britain, Papua New Guinea, 17 August 2020 -- The young parish of Mary Help of Christians Rapolo in PGS celebrates its first anniversary today on this occasion of the birth of our Father...
    Date2020.08.17 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1109 file
    Read More
  8. 5443(II)_Inspiring people through Media Education

ALA_5443 Personal sharing of Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Part 2 Vice Province of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands, 13 August 2020 -- Involving young people ‘They say, ‘Young people are a strange lot, you ask them for little and they wi...
    Date2020.08.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views409 file
    Read More
  9. 5440(III)_The World through a different lens

ALA_5440 Reflection of the COVID-19 lockdown By Clyde Dickson, Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko DBTI, Port Moresby, PNG, 9 August 2020 -- COVID-19 has been the most terrifying time for me to be alive. It has been a similar experie...
    Date2020.08.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2282 file
    Read More
  10. 5440(II)_Segregate waste, for a better tomorrow

ALA_5440 By Dickson Clyde DBTI Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG 7 August 2020 -- Since the first lock down, the students of Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko have been under so much confusion and stress build up from the unknown circumsta...
    Date2020.08.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views14376 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 54 Next
/ 54