?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 2449 Comment 0

20171107_PGS.jpg

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB

Simbu, PNG, 4 November 2017 -- Don Bosco Simbu Technical College hosted its biannual Cultural Show on 4th November, 2017 on the school grounds. This year, the students of the school were joined by groups from the parish and the region, as it formed part of the celebrations for the blessing and dedication of the Shrine of Don Bosco to be held the following day.

Vibrant colours, especially that of black, white, red and yellow, were seen in the bilas (dress) of the different groups, as they are part of the colours of the National Flag of Papua New Guinea. Shells, feathers and paint formed intricate designs for each group. Cries, chants and lines specific to the occasion rent the air from different corners of the dancing arena. While spears, bows and arrows were brought along, the East Sipik group astonished the crowd with a live crocodile. An estimated crowd of two thousand persons participated in the event.

Delight and excitement rent the air as the people to welcomed His Excellency John Cardinal Ribat MSC, Archbishop of Port Moresby on his first visit to the place. In speaking to the people he urged them to ensure that their culture gave glory to God. “We grow in our culture and celebrating it, we give glory to God”, he said.

Present for the celebration were several dignitaries: Mr Bari Palma, MP for Kerowagi open electorate and vice minister for mining; Mrs. Rossa Apelis, first assistant secretary TVET Curricular and Ms. Violet Gegua, Director for TVET Curriculum, Fr. Alfred Maravilla sdb, Provincial, PGS Vice-province; Rectors from the different institutions of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands, priests, religious, parishioners, students and friends.

TVET Curriculum and e-Learning Directorate, First Assistant Secretary, Mrs Rossa Apelis said, “Culture is important as it gives us our identity and unites us. Your culture is your language, your dress and the way you live. As you sing and dance, display your identity, purpose, values and make sure that it leads you to live a good and significant life.” Fr. Jiji Kalavanal sdb, visitor from India, praised the different colours and dresses and reminded them of the beauty of the culture. “The richness of your culture is in the diversity of Papua New Guinea. Celebrate your diversity and may it bring you closer to each other”, he said.

“As a Papua New Guinean, this Cultural Show gives us the opportunity to take pride in our culture and express our gratitude to Don Bosco for all that we have learnt during these years. It helps us understand the importance of our culture and preserve it for future generations”, said Wattie Kerowa, Final Year Accounting student and the MC for the occasion.

20171107_PGS2.jpg

20171107_PGS3.jpg

20171107_PGS4.jpg

20171107_PGS5.jpg

20171107_PGS6.jpg

20171107_PGS7.jpg

20171107_PGS8.jpg

20171107_PGS9.jpg

20171107_PGS10.jpg

20171107_PGS11.jpg

20171107_PGS12.jpg

20171107_PGS13.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4544(II)_Don Bosco celebrates Culture in Simbu

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Simbu, PNG, 4 November 2017 -- Don Bosco Simbu Technical College hosted its biannual Cultural Show on 4th November, 2017 on the school grounds. This year, the students of the school were joined by groups from the...
    Date2017.11.07 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2449 file
    Read More
  2. 4536(II)_The Knock

The Vocatin Story of Yawalele Pius By Asp. Yawalele Pius Port Moresby, PNG, 1 November 2017 -- The plane elevated from Gurney airport, circled twice, then headed in the direction of Port Moresby. All the passengers on board were travelling ...
    Date2017.11.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1532 file
    Read More
  3. 4534(II)_Renewing our relationship with Mary

Archdiocesan Marian Motorcade 2017 By Sr. Rebecca Fernandez, OND Port Moresby, PNG, 28 October 2017 -- Blessings were showered on the residents of Port Moresby as vehicles carrying the statue of Mary accompanied by young people drove throug...
    Date2017.10.30 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views778 file
    Read More
  4. 4529(I)_To be of service to the young

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Yako, Papua New Guinea, PNG, 22 October 2017 -- Fr. Gilbert Pano sdb was ordained a priest for the Society of St. Francis de Sales on the 21st October, 2017 at St. Luke’s Catholic Church, Waromo, by His Excellenc...
    Date2017.10.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views940 file
    Read More
  5. 4528(II)_"I come to do your will"

Priestly Ordinations in PGS By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Vanimo, PNG, 21 October 2017 -- Bishop Cesare Bonivento PIME, Bishop of the Diocese of Vanimo ordained Dn. Solomon Kulo and Dn. Gilbert Pano sdb priests on the 21st October, 2017 at th...
    Date2017.10.23 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views634 file
    Read More
  6. 4524_Two PGS Salesians celebrate Silver Jubilee of Priesthood

By Ms. Arlene Abital Boroko, PNG, 12 October 2017 -- A Thanksgiving Mass was held on October 12th at Mary Help of Christians Shrine, Boroko, Don Bosco Technological Institute’s compound to celebrate the 25 years of priesthood of two Salesia...
    Date2017.10.19 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views526 file
    Read More
  7. 4511(I)_Water Woe in Araimiri

Water tanks donated by the Salesian Missions, New Rochelle, USA By Fr. Shoji Mathew, SDB Araimiri, PNG, 30 September 2017 -- Don Bosco Araimiri Secondary School is located in a very remote area, thus is unable to receive most of the basic s...
    Date2017.10.02 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views724 file
    Read More
  8. 4510(I)_If there is a will, there is a way…

Anthony Wale's vocation story By Anthony Wale Honiara, Solomon Islands, 30 September -- My name is Anthony Wale, from Solomon Islands. My first spark of interest of joining the Salesians of Don Bosco was way back in 2003. I was doing my fir...
    Date2017.10.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views687 file
    Read More
  9. 4487_Don Bosco Technological Institute wins the best short film

International Short Film Festival in Papua New Guinea By Ms. Arlene Abital Photographs by Mr. Karl David Valmonte Port Moresby, PNG, 2 September 2017 -- Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko (DBTI) won for the best video ‘Humanity lost ...
    Date2017.09.04 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1034 file
    Read More
  10. 4485(I)_"This is what I want for myself"

Vocation Story of Pre-novice Paul Paiara By Asp. Paul Paiara Port Moresby, PNG, 1 September 2017 -- I was really inspired by the good works of many Salesian priests and brothers who worked tirelessly in the Parish and the school. I was born...
    Date2017.09.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views967 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 54 Next
/ 54