?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20171103_KOR.jpg

Interview with Brother Mark Choi, SDB

By Our Own Correspondent

Chuncheon, Korea, 1 November 2017 -- What makes you joyful as Salesian Brother?

There is no burden coming from the sacramental ministry, it’s a life without a burdensome authoritarism or clericalism that is spread among the lay people through the sacramental ministry. Everytime I approach the others as a witness.

Who is your Salesian Brother model?

My model is Brother Jim Comino who is now working in South Sudan (before he was a missionary in Korea). I would like to learn from his peculiar sense of humour, fast grasp of the real situation and how to deal with it.

What is the specific contribution of the Salesian Brother to our mission & community?

With my confreres: I’m preparing the daily liturgy as reader and listening to the homily: sometimes even 1:1, we are a small community!

With our youth and lay mission partners: being present among them, trying daily to put myself in their shoes and become one of them. With this attitude is growing the close relationship and my life witness is more credible and effective.

How to make the vocation of Salesian Brother more visible in the Church?

We recognize that the Salesian Brother vocation in the Church is still rather ‘new’ and not-muchknown (if you look at the advertisement in the parishes, preaching or even Church structure).

Within the Salesian Congregation and the provinces, I think we need to foster more our role as those who accompany with responsibility our lay mission partners. Compared to our Salesian Priests, Brothers are more deeply immersed in the network of relationship with our lay people and have more necessary inner freedom in daily relationship.

How can the Salesian priest contribute to the Salesian Brother Vocation promotion?

Salesian Brothers are not competitors but those who accompany others. But if we look at Brothers as cooperators or partners, is not easy to grasp well the value of our vocation and become difficult to invite a young man to live as Salesian Brother. At any position in our educative - pastoral work we reveal the unity of Christ’s Body, since we are the members of one Body. In this way we can understand better the contribution and role of each Salesian special role. As Salesian priest our confreres have the authority. Instead of fostering jealousy or envy, they should treat the Brother not so much with the authority but with friendly fraternal concern. In this way they would bring many mission partners and young people to the Church community. The reason why Salesian Brother is closer to lay people is a fruits of his close and not threatening friendly presence.

What is the Salesian Brother spirituality?

I think that our role is like a bridge. Moving in silence with Mary and Jesus or remaining like Mary with the twelve in the Cenacle before the Pentecost to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. This is the cooperation style of Mary, the way, how the Salesian Brother is present today among the lay faithful. In this way the Salesian Brother is also a bridge among the confreres, among the youth among our lay mission partners and the Salesian religious community. We all are contemplative in action. Every time I get some request and try to help, I think about the way Don Bosco way of prayer amidst the daily life. Even I’m discouraged, frustrated or don’t’ feel or see any way forward, that same moment I think about the suffering and resurrection of Jesus. This become my source of energy in daily life.

Any suggestion for the path towards the 2018 Salesian Brothers Congress?

As in any international event, also the EAO 2018 Vietnam Congress, the language factor will be our challenge. First we need a good translation and simultaneous interpretation of each conference and within the group sharing. Every time we return from a regional event back to Korea, the Acts of the Congress are published only with 1-2 years delay in Korean version.

Timetable: usually for the Brothers there are less opportunities to travel abroad, would be good in include also some firsthand experience of the hosting country on our trip.

20171103_KOR1.jpg

20171103_KOR2.jpg

20171103_KOR3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4538(I)_Bridge between the Salesian Community and the Society

Interview with Brother Mark Choi, SDB By Our Own Correspondent Chuncheon, Korea, 1 November 2017 -- What makes you joyful as Salesian Brother? There is no burden coming from the sacramental ministry, it’s a life without a burdensome authori...
    Date2017.11.03 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views888 file
    Read More
  2. 4537(I)_Discernment is the key to the future

Extraordinary visitation concluded - Korea By Our Own Correspondent Seoul, Korea, 1 November 2017 -- After two month was concluded the Extraordinary visitation of Korean Province in Seoul, with one full day of final meetings with the rector...
    Date2017.11.02 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views593 file
    Read More
  3. 4536(I)_What does sustain your Salesian Vocation?

Salesian Brothers Encounter in Korea: Towards 2018 EAO Congress By Bro. Benedict Baek, SDB Seoul, Korea, 31 October 2017 -- At the end of the extraordinary visitation in Korea all 16 Salesian Brothers present in the country met with the vis...
    Date2017.11.01 CategoryKOR Reply1 Views601 file
    Read More
  4. 4534(I)_House of formation with the youth at risk

Dae Rim Dong community By Fr. Bonaventura Kim, SDB Seoul, Korea, 28 October 2017 -- Dae Rim Dong Community in Seoul started in 1962 as a mission station of our parish of Guro 3 Dong, then welcome the first formation house (novitiate in 1963...
    Date2017.10.30 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1034 file
    Read More
  5. 4531(I)_They remained with us - Focus on the Initial Proclamation of Jesus Christ

Salesian Mission Day 2017 in Seoul Focus on the missionary fire of each Salesian By Fr. Timothy Choi, SDB Provincial delegate for the missionary animation Seoul, Korea, 22 October 2017 -- The 5 SDB communities from Seoul and Daejeon gathere...
    Date2017.10.27 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views626 file
    Read More
  6. 4528(I)_"We need to live truly family spirit as brother in Don Bosco"

Interview with Salesian Brother Alex Cho in view of the EAO 2018 Salesian Brother Congress By Our Own Correspondent Seoul, Korea, 21 October 2017 -- Bro. Alexander Cho, a member of the Rinaldi Community in Seoul, is a carpenter involved in ...
    Date2017.10.23 CategoryKOR Reply1 Views1326 file
    Read More
  7. 4526(I)_One-Stop-Service for the Young people

Dream community in Seoul By Fr. Gregory Park, SDB Seoul, Korea 19 October 2017 -- Since last 2011 the Salesians in Korea are in charge of the first comprehensive Youth 'One-Stop-Service' Center in Seoul. Every year some 180.000 youth and ch...
    Date2017.10.21 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views10967 file
    Read More
  8. 4509_3000 Young people accompanied over past 50 years

Golden Jubilee Year of Don Bosco Youth Center - Seoul By Fr. Benedict Kim, SDB Seoul, Korea, 30 September 2017 -- On March 3, 1967 were enrolled free of charge the first 19 trainees to Don Bosco Youth Center, newly established (boarding) Vo...
    Date2017.09.30 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views928 file
    Read More
  9. 4507_Outreaching Salesian parish in Seoul

The only Salesian parish in Korea: Guro 3 Dong Parish! By Bro. Bosco Park Kyengseok, SDB Seoul, Korea, 28 September 2017 -- Catholic Church in Korea is grateful to God for the steadfast growth in past 50 years. Among the 53 millions of Sout...
    Date2017.09.28 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views928 file
    Read More
  10. 4504(I)_Growing in Communion also around the Soccer field

2017 Provincial Community day with the Young people By Fr. Samuel Yu Myoungil, SDB Daejeon, Korea, 23 September 2017 -- Traditional Salesian Province community day of 2017 (September 22-23) in Korea, Daejeon make the history. For the first ...
    Date2017.09.24 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1255 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 Next
/ 21