Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 978

Tiruchy-Tamil Nadu: confreres putting all efforts into helping their people

TIRUCHY: 30th December '04 -- Fr James Theophilus, provincial of Tiruchy Salesian Province, covering some of the worst hit areas along the South Indian coastline, has written to his confreres affirming them in the difficult and delicate task ahead as they respond to the most urgent needs of their people.
    "Together with some Salesians, I paid a visit on 28th and 29th to the devastated area. I visited the Salesian presences which are on the eastern sea coast and also I paid a visit to all the villages of the coastal area, which are the home places of some of our Salesians. I made this visit to show that we are close to the Salesians and their families at this moment and also to see the relief work done by our Salesians. A few of our Salesians lost their relatives to these waves. "
    Fr Theophilus then details the relief activities he has put in place: In Kuthenkuzhy the community went immediately to the village and have remained there with the people.  500 have been accommodated in the College premises will they will be kept and fed for the coming weeks until other arrangements can be made for their return.
    In Threspuram , the Salesians are taking care of nearly the whole village and providing meals for 3500. This work will have to continue for weeks.
    The Director of Salem Anbu Illam  together with the confreres and the social workers have rushed to Nagapattinam, one of the worst hit areas, and are providing them with water, food, cloths and medicine.
     The Director of Coimbatore Anbu Illam together with the Salesians and the social workers have involved themselves in providing the means to the affected people in the northern coastal area of Tamil Nadu.
    The Rector and the community of Don Bosco Tanjore are providing food and other necessities to the people of Nagapattinam.
    The Youth of Madhakottai have organized with the help of the Salesians in helping to clear the area and providing means for the people affected .
    Fr Theophilus goes on to say : "The province also has provided financial assistance to some of our centres to continue the relief work until the people are able to stand on their own. The promptness with which the Major superiors expressed their oneness with us and their readiness to assist us is to be admired and imitated.  I would like to keep on record the immediate assistance given by the Provincial and the Economer of Mumbai Province."