Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 787

A LEAP OF FAITH: 20 YOUNG AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLBOYS ACCEPT CATHOLICISM

SYDNEY: 5th January '04 -- it has to be said from the outset that this is not a 'Salesian' story in its origins, but it is an exciting Salesian one just the same if viewed in the light of the Rector Major's 2004 Strenna: 20 young boys from Marist College, North Shore (Sydney) have become Catholics at a public Mass of Initiation held by the school just before Christmas.  The College Director of Faith Formation, Tony Clarke, puts it this way: "At a time when we can often think that young people are less likely to make such profound acts of faith or are prepared to commit so publically to a faith community that sometimes seems irrelevant to their young lives, it is a powerful witness to all of us who are already part of that community".  The past three years have seen more than 70 boys become Catholics...and it has been achieved through a lively school-based sacramental programme that has the boys reflect on the Eucharist, Reconciliation, the Holy Spirit, prayer, the community and the Christian call to service.  Familiar stuff?  A feeling that 'forgiveness is a powerful tool' drew Dave Vinson, a Year 7 (12-13 years of age) student, to the Faith. "Now that I'm a Catholic, I'm excited that I can eat the body of Christ and drink his blood', says Dave.  Tom Nagle, a Year 8 student, who was baptised and confirmed at the Mass, says being a Catholic will make him a better person.  'My friends are Catholics, so at times I felt left out, but Catholics always look to help; and support each other' he says.  Year 8 student Nick Moloney was always a Catholic, but received the Eucharist and Confirmation because he wanted to 'get closer to God'.
It's worth noting that all these boys are in the 12-15 year old bracket, and that they express their idealism without fear.  Australia has often thought of itself in recent years as amongst the most secularised of nations - but such good things are happening amongst the young at our Catholic schools.  The above story is one that our Marist confreres can be so proud of, and it is also good to know that in our Salesian schools, similar programmes of faith formation are reaping similar results.  It is holiday time now 'downunder', but once school resumes hopefully we can hear some of those stories too.  Are there similar ones in other parts of the Region?  Please tell us.