Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #1779

"Sir, this is war!"  Lest we forget.

DILI: 6th March 2007 --  Brother Thomas Alves has just returned to East Timor, to take over the role played so effectively by Brother Adriano at Comoro, Dili, as Technical Director at the Training Centre on the Don Bosco campus near the capital's main airport.  Brother Thomas has been away for four years from Timor, preparing himself for this new role with a BSTE from Manila, majoring in industrial electronics.  He was quite unprepared for what he saw on arrival in Dili.
    "When I entered the compound at the Don Bosco Training Centre, I was shocked to see the people there - women, men young and old, children and babies, settled there all over the place. Gloom, sadness and desperation on their faces. At first I thought these people might be joining the training school. The interesting point is that when I arrived at the compound gate from the airport, I was checked by the guards. I quarrelled with them saying 'this is my house'. Their answer? 'Sir, this is war'"!
    In April of last year there were up to 15,000 internally displaced persons sprawled all around the compound. Today?  No fewer than 10,000!  But the 'normal' teaching continues, if one can talk about normal in this situation. Large areas, like the football field and some undercover areas, are occupied by refugee tents, but the workshops and classrooms are kept free for the trainees.
    Brother has sent a number of photos of the circumstances there, most of them annotated to indicate the who, what, where and when of the situation.  We will put these together with a brief text and run them as a FOCUS on sdb.org, probably mid-April.  austraLasia will advise you at the time of publication.  Bear in mind that April is the scheduled time for the national elections.
    Meanwhile, the Australian Government has announced that it has arranged for voluntary evacuation of all non-essential Embassy staff. fearing that the recent serious deterioration in security, especially in Dili, may result in violence against foreigners and Australians in particular.  The situation is worse in Same, south of Dili (there is no Salesian presence in Same) where Australian forces yesterday led a raid on the hideout of the rebel leader, Major Alfredo Reinado.  Four rebels died in the raid but Reinado escaped unhurt.  Reinado supported in Dili have demonstrated, demanding that Australian troops leave the troubled island.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm A separate service entirely is called F/OSSERVATORE to help us keep abreast of trends in the digital world.  To contact austraLasia by voice on Skype, the Skype name is austraLasia.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
1790 FIS 1790_Church-run Technical Training Center Offers Industry Skills 542
1789 VIE 1789_Vietnam celebrates Blessed Artemides Zatti as Brothers Day for the Province 340
1788 World 1788_Announcing a modest, experimental breakthrough with possibilities 453
1787 World 1787_Sacramentum caritatis - get your copy here 430
1786 VIE 1786_Local bursars seminar moves to Vietnam 430
1785 World 1785_The Gospel According to Judas, by Benjamin Iscariot, by Jeffrey Archer and Francis J Moloney 383
1784 World 1784_Salesian Family Spirituality Days DVD doing the rounds 594
1783 FIS 1783_Pre-Chapters and radical moves 440
1782 Indonesia 1782_Local Salesian bursars from ITM meet in Jakarta; Dili dropped from programme 459
1781 World 1781_Dominic Savio - and life! 430
1780 India 1780_Cross-region meeting on Volunteers at Kochi 301
» ITM 1779_"Sir, this is war!" Lest we forget. 393
1778 EAO 1778_Muslims, Christians and Jews send austraLasia a message of peace 351
1777 FIS 1777_"There is no other way - we go to heaven or we go to hell, together". 446
1776 India 1776_A poem about a passionate lover 561
1775 ITM 1775_Situation tense in East Timor; Salesian work affected by violence and food shortage 406
1774 GIA 1774_Fourth Annual Salesian Family Spirituality Seminar, Tokyo 370
1773 World 1773_"An Australian...from Camerano D'Asti" 453
1772 Cambodia 1772_Salesian lay mission partners meet in Phnom Penh 398
1771 Indonesia 1771_Mary and the martyrs - Indonesia remembers 539
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... 177 Next
/ 177