Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #1874

Fr Shirieda's moving story of conversion

ROME: 12th June 2007 -- Fr John Bosco Shirieda is reported on www.sdb.org to have died at the age of 75, at the UPS in Rome, on 10th June.  The outline that follows however, is from his own hand, and signed in Tokyo, 1998.  It is a moving story, one which needs to be abbreviated here for obvious reasons.
    "Japan, 15th August 1945, the end of World War II.  I had lost everything: my father, an infantry commander, had died in the camps in China back in 1937. Our home in Kagoshima was burned to the ground under the furious final American bombardments.  At one point I dreamed of following my father in a glorious military career, but this dream was long since dead. I also lost a best friend at Hiroshima.
    The task was to rebuild life modestly, and that had to start with somewhere to live.  There was wood aplenty in Japan after the war - but no nails! One day I tried taking a handful from a Catholic church in Miyakonojo, being built with the help of American soldiers.  On the one hand I disliked stealing.  On the other it was absolutely necessary and then again, to steal from these hated foreigners (and more so from Catholics), who had destroyed my life's dreams seemed almost a good thing.
    So there I was with more nails than I could carry - all going well, when I felt a hand on my shoulder. It was a white man, a priest. I imagined myself, hands and feet bound, shut up in prison. I immediately thought of my mother who had called me 'Masayuki', the 'just one', and who had taught me to be honest. My worst thought was what this theft would mean to her, so I cried out, spontaneously, 'Sir, do what you like with me, but don't tell my mother'!  As a response the man put his hands in the drawer where the nails were, gave me some and sent me off without a word about Christianity. All he said was 'If you need more, come back'!  I went home flabbergasted. That night I saw his face in my dreams teaching me to GIVE - in that post war period when everyone in Japan was taking.
    So the day after I returned to find the priest.  I told him I was putting aside thoughts of being a general in the Imperial Army and instead wanted to learn to be like him. I would never have said I wanted to be a Christian though!  But what I saw in him was a teacher of life.  He was a witness to it.
    I did receive baptism at some point after that, without understanding much at all of the Christian mysteries but for one thing - the Christian is one who looks to God alone who is love as Christ was. He offers his own life for the salvation of others.  That missionary's name was Fr Adino Roncato (from Venice) and I am in debt to that life of grace.
    During a fire in Tokyo (our own technical school) he rushed into the flames to save a friend of mine, and died amongst those flames, embracing the young Japanese he had gone to save. Don Adino was reduced to a handful of ashes.  He used say, when he was alive, 'Masayuki, I would like to become a part of your Japanese soil', and that's what he became, literally. That was when I saw, for the first time, the example of a life consumed for God's love.
    I decided, then, to become a second Don Adino, a Salesian and priest like him. That's why I ended up in Italy, and became his mother's adopted son. Rosa died in my arms 20 years later, on the same day her son had died."
    The story goes on, but to sum it up, Fr Shirieda points out that his brother became a Salesian, and priest, his sister an FMA, and his mother became a Catholic and Salesian Cooperator.
    He puts it all down to the fruitfulness of one who 'did not ask what he could expect from life but what life could expect from him - and gave it'.
    And now Fr Shirieda himself has followed his beloved Don Adino into the loving arms of the Father. He was in Rome from 1974/5 until his death. He was undersecretary of the Pontifical Council for Inter-religious Dialogue for 25 years and a professor at the UPS.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use BoscoWiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm   Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at at http://sdl.sdb.orgTo contact austraLasia by voice on Skype, the Skype name is austraLasia

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
1890 World 1890_'Chargé de mission à la coordination des acteurs locaux' - Salesian's new role in France 518
1889 FIS 1889_Cebu will host Social Communications Delegates and ANS correspondents in October 458
1888 FIS 1888_Cebu will host Social Communications Delegates and ANS correspondents in October 375
1887 World 1887_Pope Benedict XVI approves beatification of Peter Kibe and 187 other Japanese martyrs 370
1886 PGS 1886_A sign of God’s love to the young 516
1885 KOR 1885_A modest contribution to national reconciliation 412
1884 PGS 1884_DB Kumgi celebrates Solemnity of Sacred Heart by donating blood 2438
1883 World 1883_"We have to follow what the Gospel says....": the witness of a new missionary 567
1882 EAO 1882_Catching up on (hopefully) all EAO ordinations and professions in May-June 514
1881 India 1881_India gains tenth province - Panjim raised from vice province to province 520
1880 GIA 1880_Japan: Shroud book published by Kodansha 436
1879 World 1879_Don Bosco's formative years in historical context: vol 1 now available 3494
1878 AUL 1878_Ordination of Bishop Tim Costelloe SDB, auxiliary of Melbourne 338
1877 FIN 1877_'Carpe diem' and blaze trails, says new Master of Development Communication 408
1876 VIE 1876_High level Laos delegation to investigate possibilities for 'Don Bosco' school in Vientiane 403
1875 Indonesia 1875_Second Indonesian Brother perpetually professed 442
» World 1874_Fr Shirieda's moving story of conversion 452
1873 FIS 1873_Mary in Mindanao 509
1872 AUL 1872_SDB Ordinations - diaconate, priesthood, episcopate - in Australia 383
1871 VIE 1871_49 new priests in Salesian-guided diocese of Bui Chu 307
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... 177 Next
/ 177