Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

"THERE IS A CHRONIC LACK OF THEOLOGIANS IN OCEANIA" 
Interview with Archbishop George Pell, of Melbourne, Australia

VATICAN CITY, DEC 11 -- The Australian city of Melbourne, is a sign of the times in this land of marked contrasts, where its streets and institutions serve as a bridge between European, Asiatic and native cultures. It is home to large communities of Italians, Greeks, Maltese, as well as Vietnamese, Chinese, Indians, Sri Lankans and South Americans, many of whom are political refugees. As a result, the archdiocese is an extremely cosmopolitan church and the Oceanic diocese with the highest number of Catholics, one million out of a population of 3.4 million.

George Pell was appointed Auxiliary Bishop in 1987 and raised to Archbishop of Melbourne in 1996. Fifty-seven year old Archbishop Pell had previously served as head-master of a Catholic College and rector of the regional seminary. "Schools -- he says -- are a wonderful ambit for educating to diversity and openness to others". The diocese's Catholic schools, in fact, have students from more than 100 different countries.

In an interview with the Vatican news agency "Fides," Archbishop Pell offered a personal assessment of the work and fruits of the Synod for Oceania.

What sort of experience has this been for you, Archbishop Pell?

ARCHBISHOP PELL: It has been magnificent to be able to be with the Holy Father every day. In Australia there is great loyalty to the Papacy and admiration particularly for this Pope. For the Australian Bishops it has also been good to have the opportunity to meet with the Roman Curia. And in fact a common declaration, drafted by the Australian Bishops with the heads of some Roman Congregations, (Doctrine of the Faith, Clergy, Liturgy, Bishops, Religious), will soon be published. With the Curia we had frank discussion on fundamental problems such the central question of the faith and the growing numbers of non-believers (30 or 40 years ago these were about 2-3%, now they are as many as 18-19%); regarding some liturgical matters, seminary education and so on. In the process we found out that the Curia is human after all! Being together with all the Bishops of Oceania has also been important, we have become more aware of each others' situations. It remains to be seen whether the Synod will succeed in identifying the central difficulties of our Churches and giving new impulse to missionary activity.

There were some initial difficulties encountered at the Synod, what were they?

ARCHBISHOP PELL: There were three aspects. Firstly, the situations are so different. There are apostolic vicars with only about a hundred Catholics on some of the isolated Pacific Islands; there is Papua, with its Christian communities along the coast, in the highlands and on outlying islands; there is Australia, with its vast open spaces, deserts and modern cities. Secondly, this has been a Synod composed of many Bishops but few theologians. In fact there is a chronic lack of theologians in Oceania. Thirdly an historical characteristic. The history of Oceania is a history of conversions. Still today, thousands join the Church every year: conversions are numerous. It has always been evident that the Church has something unique and precious to offer, the person and the life of Jesus Christ. But in recent times this conviction has slackened a little: people are disorientated, confidence is lacking. In our parishes, Christian life is still strong, but the greatest challenge is how to put the faith across to young people.

During the Synod, delicate problems such as sexual abuse and the "celibacy question" were also raised. Some ironically say this has been Oceania's contribution to the rest of the universal Church.

ARCHBISHOP PELL: I would say that this is due more to the space given by the media to these questions, than the Synod Fathers. Certainly the issues were raised, but discussion was quite brief. Regarding abuse, I think the worst is over, because the Church is taking very precise measures. Regarding celibacy, in the Synod Propositions there is no request to ordain married men, but there is a question about allowing the people, in situations where priests are scarce, to participate as much as possible in the Eucharist. Personally I think that our testimony in the western world would be weakened terribly if we were to abandon the obligation of celibacy for diocesan priests. As Cardinal Ratzinger said during a session, we are called to be the salt of the earth, not sugar or artificial sweetening! Our duty is to comprehend ever more fully the teaching of Christ, not to reduce or "improve" it to suit ourselves.

During the Synod, much admiration was expressed for catechists, less for the rest of the laity. Perhaps because there were too few lay Catholics present in the Hall?

ARCHBISHOP PELL: The same proportion of laity were in attendance as at the other Synods. But perhaps we did focus more on the Church's internal problems and less on the missionary aspect. The Synod Fathers dwelt at length on matters regarding the priestly ministry, to the point of becoming a little self-absorbed perhaps. There might appear to be some imbalance in the Propositions (only one regards the laity), but rather than a lack of appreciation for the laity, this is the work of the theologians who drew the conclusions of our discussions. On the contrary, in their interventions many of the Bishops' were highly supportive of the mission of the laity. For my part, I can say that in Australia the laity are very active: schools, universities, diocesan offices are entirely in their hands. Secularization however, is a danger: both for the priest, if he fails to discover his specific role and for lay Catholics even in Christian structures. But this problem is common throughout the west.

Another theme was the bond between the ministry of the Pope and the Bishops' Conferences

ARCHBISHOP PELL: Throughout Oceania the papacy is held in high esteem. Naturally viewpoints vary from Bishop to Bishop and some would like more independence from Rome. I think we stand only to gain by being united with Rome and the universal Church. For example, seeing the scarcity of theologians and experts in Oceania, we would never have been able to produce a volume such as the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It is always good to compare local views with the views of the rest of the world. One question raised was the English language used in Sacred Scripture and other texts. Some asked for a more colloquial language, including also feminine terms. In my opinion a good translation must be faithful to the original and put across the meaning while taking into consideration the modern day mindset. For example we can only define God, as Father: this was the definition Jesus himself gave. We cannot substitute terms such as Father, Son and Spirit with others such as "Creator", "Redeemer" and "Sanctifier".

Did the large Australian Bishops' Conference sway the workings of the Synod?

ARCHBISHOP PELL: I don't think we monopolized the assembly at all. Certainly the Australian bishops were 39 out of a total 105, but the problems discussed were not only 'Australian'. For example the question of catechists is not strictly Australian and neither is that of inculturation.

Much emphasis was given to inculturating the Gospel among the peoples of the Pacific.

ARCHBISHOP PELL: "Inculturation" is an exceptionally difficult process in Oceania. In Papua New Guinea, for example, there are 700 languages and many dialects. Every Pacific island, however tiny, has its own language; the Aborigines in Australia have languages which are spoken only by a few hundred people. But the greatest force to be harnessed and evangelized is, first and foremost, not the myriad of cultures, but rather the secularized Anglo Saxon mentality and western style advertising which is filtered through the media. This is the most powerful force threatening cultures and Christianity. It is useless to demonize it. What we must do, is to learn to use the media to evangelize, to speak to non Christians and to post-Christians. Much attention is given to local cultures but hardly any to this great challenge. In Australia for example, children spend more time in front of the television than at school. We can teach them at school, but then at home, the child is exposed to a different type of education and for a longer period. The media has more authority with children. This problem is connected with the weakening of the family, which is beginning to emerge. In Australia divorce afflicts 9% of Australian couples, 7% of Catholics couples but, of these, only 30% are practicing. This points to a clear relation between the practice of the faith and the unity of the family. There are also many children born out of wedlock, many unmarried mothers. But at least the birth rate is 1.8, higher than other parts, Italy for example.

What has this Synod given you?

ARCHBISHOP PELL: It has made me more conscious of the real missionary challenge: the need to vigorously and tirelessly proclaim the person of Jesus Christ, his teaching, his sacraments. He is truly the answer to everything that people seek. Our duty is to be the salt of society. I had the joy of meeting a group of young Australians from Melbourne while here in Rome. They had been to Assisi and then came on to visit Rome. They asked me to be more clear in proclaiming the faith to their peers. I agreed, but also said they themselves must be missionaries to their friends. Many young people in Australia, as elsewhere, search for a meaning in drugs or promiscuity. But if the Christian message is put clearly even these searchers find the faith. In the Neo-Catechumens in my diocese, or the Focolari movement, or Charismatic Renewal, many new members have come out of stories of drugs or other problems.