Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
Happy Christmas

austraLasia #2564

It seems appropriate, given the item below, to take Bishop Tong's theme of the shining star and wish all austraLasia readers a Christmas and New Year enlightened by the newborn Saviour.  The letter below is the bishop's to his people in Hong Kong. Just selections from the letter are repeated here below.

HONG KONG: 21st December 2009 -- Dear brothers and sisters in Christ:
      In this joyful season, when people have a special longing for family reunions, I send you this family letter to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and peace in the Lord. Moreover, I would like to share with you a new page from my life.
      I was ordained a priest on the Solemnity of the Epiphany. For this reason, of all the Scripture passages about the birth of Christ, the one I like most is this: “Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw his star at its rising and have come to do him homage” (Mt 2:2). In this quotation from scripture, what touches me profoundly are the words “shining star.” It was this shining star that brought the Magi to find Jesus. In the eight months that I have been the bishop of Hong Kong, many shining stars have appeared in my pastoral ministry too. I would like to take this opportunity to express my deep gratitude to them....
       This year, the annual retreat for priests and deacons of the diocese was held in November with the theme, The Word of God in the Life and Mission of Priests, There were more than 40 participants and Bishop Joseph Prathan Sridarunsil sdb, from Thailand, was spiritual director. He has a deep love for Lectio Divina, which he learned from a famous master in Italy. He has also been to Ethiopia where he made a 40-day retreat on Lectio Divina under the guidance of another famous master. 
       Since then, Bishop Joseph has practised Lectio Divina daily for an hour in front of the tabernacle. Not only has he been transformed by the word of God and been able to come closer to the Lord day by day, but he has also acquired a sense of mission and a desire to share his love for the scripture with others. Thus, from time to time, he has accepted invitations to conduct this kind of retreat. On our part, the annual retreat has been very fruitful. As companions on my spiritual journey this year, Bishop Joseph and all the participants have been my shining stars......
       Invoking God’s blessings on all of you, my dear brothers and sisters in Christ, I would like to conclude my letter with the following prayer:
Lord Jesus, the light of all peoples, sustain all the faithful and the clergy, so that they may become shining stars to guide humankind to recognise you as the one true God. May all nations, united in mind and heart with one another, form one single family, a family of love and peace. Through the good example of the clergy, inspire more and more young people to respond with generosity to your calling and join the ranks of the clergy to serve the Church and the world. Grant, also, peace and joy to our motherland and let her civilisation be uplifted. May the citizens of Hong Kong not succumb to excessive desires for material well-being, but rather look to you, the true light, and find in you their new hope. May their hearts overflow with a warm stream of mutual trust and love. We make our prayer to you, our Lord and God, who live and reign forever and ever. Amen.

+ JOHN TONG
2009 Christmas

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
2570 KOR 2570_Ten years on - KOR's growing migrant ministry 356
2569 PGS 2569_Gizo earthquake-tsunami leaves thousands homeless 536
2568 CIN 2568_Boys Town dream comes true 527
2567 EAO 2567_Message from the Regional, and other matters 418
2566 World 2566_'Tell the story of Jesus' - an appropriate New Year's Greeting! 442
2565 World 2565_Theology students write grateful letters to Don Bosco 591
» World 2564_Merry Christmas and peace in the Lord! 346
2563 World 2563_Important events to conclude 150th 586
2562 FMA 2562_A letter worth sharing 508
2561 CIN 2561_New Boys' Town building in Taiwan marks 150th and also celebrates work of former principal 461
2560 World 2560_Further resources for 18th December...and other items of interest 437
2559 World 2559_Young - and not so young - Salesians to the rescue! 1210
2558 World 2558_Halloween pumpkins, human rights and all that 560
2557 AUL 2557_Priestly rejoicing in Australia-Pacific! 285
2556 World 2556_Ad gentes-ad extra-ad vitam: the 141st expedition 536
2555 ASC 2555_Salesian Cooperators World Council handover 544
2554 KOR 2554_KOR Provincial elected head of Major Superiors in Korea 443
2553 GIA 2553_Sisters of Charity of Jesus: professions 434
2552 Cambodia 2552_Mary, Our Help Church Blessed 269
2551 AUL 2551_As the 18th December draws near.... 252
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 177 Next
/ 177