Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2680

Kinderchef!

MELBOURNE: 27 July 2010 -- Once again a hiatus of a week in service. Sorry folks! From time to time I find myself in places where sending off large batches of emails is simply impossible and that was the case this week past, amid dozing crocodiles and other pursuits of an 'outback' kind that do not permit much internet activity. And whenever there is a gap like this, those who provide the news also take a break - or so it seems! After all, all I do is tidy up (or ruin) what you send along. So, time to pull out the pen again, or thump the keyboard, and get some news items to me from around the Region. Otherwise the hiatus will continue...

In the meantime, let me offer a personal view of an interesting phenomenon that has taken place in one part of the Region, and which happens to involve youth in a big way, surprisingly so when you hear what it is that is involving them. 
    My grand nephew is just 8 years old and is already turning out to be an excellent chef.  What has inspired him (apart from his mother)? A TV Reality Show that came to its grand finale in Australia on 26 July called Masterchef.  That evening, the one and only TV debate between the two contenders for Australian political leadership in the forthcoming national elections, had to be moved to another slot! The nearly 5 million people who watched Masterchef, close on one quarter of the entire population, preferred the prime-time 7.30 pm slot for the Masterchef finals, which were being contested by two relatively youthful male amateurs on this occasion, Adam a 31 year old lawyer, Australian born, but who had been living and working in Japan up until he decided to 'have a go' at Masterchef, and Callum, a 20 year old from just north of Adelaide in South Australia, who simply likes cooking. At 31, Adam already has a bit of life behind him. At 20, Callum could have been called 'wet behind the ears' but not once he put his mind, heart and hands to a 'Guava snow-egg' dessert. In the end, Adam won, but you could hardly say Callum lost. He won the sympathy of the nation for his youth, freshness, delightful positivity about everything, including losing - and a 'consolation' prize scholarship with one of Australia's top chefs.
    Why tell you all this? I had a chance to watch the finals, the elimination trials for a whole week which whittled the number down to the two finalists. I saw many a lesson here that could make us reflect on Youth Ministry probably far more than a dozen 'models' and heavy treatises could ever do. Maybe we need a 'cookbook' for Youth Ministry!
    What attracts 5 million viewers in a population of 22 million, including much of the nation's youth, to watch a cooking show? We learned something here about the importance of good guidance and leadership - I am referring to the three judges. They weren't loud, 'in your face'. They were shepherds with an authentic cajoling, warm style. When someone failed they embraced them and 'sent them home' but with a list of all they had achieved and a list of alternative steps for them to pursue their chosen future. Win or lose they lavished praise. And everything about the competition, judges and competitors, engaged the community. It was competition with a soft, sometimes crumbly, edge.
    In a volatile and difficult world, Masterchef showed how common rituals can be redeemed and made beautiful; indeed how common rituals become a rewarding, unifying activity. Makes you realise, from a less theological angle, why Jesus chose Eucharist as his way of holding us together. Masterchef worked, in my view (or better, it worked for me, over a week, contemplating family and friends) because it called on and demonstrated real human values in action like family, honesty, openness, along with constructive criticism - and it did more for my grand nephew than a dozen homilies would ever do for an eight year old! If there was a Kinderchef competition, he might even win it.

Click here to comment on this item, or here to assist with Glossary. You will need to enter 20eao02 when asked for a password.
 AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2009 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Or be interactive with the EAO blog Cetera Tolle. Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
3470 India 1297_South Asia Region takes bold steps forward in communications 1896
3469 PGS 2374_Teaching computers to deaf and dumb in Solomon Islands 1830
3468 0295_Missing 1784
3467 FIN 2475_Whispering the Gospel into Asia's soul! 1782
3466 AUL 1478_Your attention please: to family, cradle of life...a resource to walk you through the Strenna 1772
3465 ITM 2649_Solemnity of Mary Help of Christians in the Diocese of Baucau, Timor Leste 1753
3464 Mongolia 2640_Ever faithful to Don Bosco - Mongolia's press and translation efforts 1750
3463 World 1098_"Yes, Mario, I am you father too". Tribute to JP II 1725
3462 Pac. 1648_Pacific excitement mounts as islands prepare for WYD'08 1719
3461 World 2506_Resources constantly on the increase 1717
3460 World 1200_Time to inculturate! 1707
3459 PGS 2759_We carry forth your flame 1704
3458 EAO 3326_144th Expedition, 3 months on 1667
3457 KOR 1411_City Hall Daejon, Korea awards Salesian Society with major city project for needy youth 1667
3456 World 0178_INDIA: DEATH OF SALESIAN BISHOP 1633
3455 CIN 3529_The Salesian Family Spirituality Day (CIN) 1618
3454 World 2050_50 years in the service of the Rector Major - a rather special anniversary 1614
3453 Indonesia 2507_Bosco Youth Camp II in Indonesia: The future is here! 1593
3452 0288_Missing 1593
3451 GIA 3522_Quinquennium Formation for the KOR and GIA Confreres 1590
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 177 Next
/ 177