Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2790

KOR: 5 new priests and 5 deacons ordained by Bishop Luc van Looy

SEOUL: 24 January 2011 -- On the feast day of St. Francis of Sales, KOT Province has celebrated in a most solemn way with a number of ordinations, in fact the largest single group to be ordained in the history of this Province. Five confreres were ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Luc Van Looy, bishop of Ghent in Belgium, formally Vicar of the Rector Major and long before that, Superior of the then Korean Delegation (27 years ago). 
    The ordination took place in the provincial house, on the 7th Floor, which holds a very large chapel, at 2 pm at a Mass celebrated by Bishop Luc with the retired archbishop of Kwangju, Archbishop Andrew Choi. The retired archbishop is a very close friend of Bosco Seong, formally the Korean Ambassador to the Holy See, who also happens to be the father of Savio Seong, one of the new priests! Also present were some 80 priests (Salesian and others), the ordinands parents, Salesian family groups as well as youth from various works. It was estimated that a total of 2,000 people attended the ordination (so really, the 7th floor chapel is quite large as indicated above!).
    The newly ordained are Frs Peter Lim, Joseph Cho, Bosco Lee, Felix We, and Savio Seong. They completed their theology at Kwangju and Seoul, also spending some time in addition for pastoral training, including a year in the Philippines to lean English. Most of them come from a Salesian work or family belonging to the Salesian movement such as Cooperators or Past Pupils.
    "Being ordained as a Salesian priest means becoming a minister of the Church, willing to dedicate and sacrifice his whole life for youth, especially those most in need, following Don Bosco's model: 'for you I study, live, work and spend my life'. Bishop Luc added: Don't be satisfied with 'Da mihi animas' but  also regard 'cetera tolle' as your life's motto.
    Fr Stephen Nam Stephan, provincial, gave thanks for the abundant grace of these ordinations, urging his listeners, the Salesian Family, to "put into practice this year's Strenna, 'Come and see' to help more and more young people with generous hearts to respond to God's call." He also reminded the newly ordained to remember Mamma Margaret's word when Don Bosco was ordained, telling him in words to this effect: "John, now that you are finally closer to God, always remember that you must remain poor".
    Newly ordained Fr Svaio's mother expressed her joy: "I am really so happy today that my son has become a Salesian priest, a priest of Don Bosco, my favourite saint. I hope that my son, Fr Savio, will always be happy loving the young as well being loved by them, and I will continue to pray for him for the rest of my life". Margaret, as she is, only became a Catholic last May, received into the Church by archbishop Choi in preparation for her son's priestly ordination.
    Meanwhile, during the same celebration there were also five confreres ordained deacon; Emmanuel Parkl, John Park, Samuel Ryu, Benedict Kang and Andrew Chang. 
    Bishop Luc arrived in Korea on 15 January and preached the annual retreat for confreres last week with the title of 'Salesian life, the way of love'. He returns to Belgium immediately after the ordinations.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2011 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Or be interactive with the EAO blog Cetera Tolle. Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at http://sdl.sdb.org

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
» KOR 2790_KOR: 5 new priests and 5 deacons ordained by Bishop Luc van Looy 559
2789 PGS 2789_Dirty Hands, but clean heart’ 523
2788 VIE 2788_Salesian Family Spirituality Days, DB in Vietnam 287
2787 FIS 2787_Keeping an eye on earthquakes! 486
2786 FIN 2786_DB’S Visit to the FIN: Reminiscences and Reflections, Why and Wherefore 465
2785 AUL 2785_Youth Matters in Sydney 408
2784 EAO 2784_From all over .... 409
2783 KOR 2783_KOR Volunteers abroad at Poipet 500
2782 THA 2782_New Provincial for Thailand 478
2781 MYM 2781_Yangon's Prelate on Holy Father's message for the 44th World Day of Peace 275
2780 FIS 2780_Digital detachment and "a post-post-modern type of grieving"! 293
2779 FIN 2779_Salesian Family and seminarian involvement in DB Casket Pilgrimare, FIN 509
2778 India 2778_Greener, cleaner - and happier! Boscoree's triennial event kicks off 460
2777 FIN 2777_Media-savvy Manila's take on Don Bosco Pilgrimage 502
2776 MYM 2776_Strictly prohibited! The Manger and Myanmar 557
2775 FIN 2775_Don Bosco in Manila for Christmas 514
2774 World 2774_Warm congrats to archbishop-elect Savio Hon Tai-fai 602
2773 World 2773_Remembering our mothers; and an Economist in Quetzaltenango 339
2772 CIN 2772_The sudden passing of Fr Bernard Tohill SDB 561
2771 VIE 2771_Vietnam's Missionaries 319
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 177 Next
/ 177