?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3020

Dead man walking: Rabaul Queen Survivor returns to Don Bosco Tech Kumgi
by Fr Robinson Parappilly SDB
KUMGI PNG: 19 February 2012 -- February 2nd was the most tragic day in the history of PNG. M.V.Rabaul Queen ferry which carried up to 600 passengers from Rabaul to Lae went down to the ocean floor at the depth of 1300 -1600m.  On that day I had travelled to Lae to collect the uniforms for our students which were being shipped by M.V. Rabaul Queen. Since there was a road block after 80kms, I had to return home. Upon my arrival I came to know the tragic accident and the loss of people (and potentially, of our uniforms, worth 60,000 Kina). After one hour I received a call from the manufacturer of the uniforms telling me about the accident and that our uniforms were safe; since there was no space on the vessel they had to off load our uniforms!

Our real worry was the number of students who might have been aboard the passenger ship. Since it was the opening of the school year we knew there were many students likely to be on board. Wesly Gunugu is one of our students who boarded from Kimbe and travelled on the ill-fated ship.

Wesly came to Don Bosco Kumgi in 2011 as part of the Independent Fellowship Program (IFS) sponsored by the government of PNG. After completing one year of study in Basic Electricity at Don Bosco, he wanted to join the school for another two years vocational training. He was accepted and returned home for his holidays. On February 1st, together with his sister who is a second year student at Divine Word University, he boarded the ship to come to Don Bosco. The ship, believed to be carrying up to 600 people, sank at 6. a.m. in rough seas off the coast of Finschhafen in Morobe province, while on its way from Rabaul to Lae. Wesly's whereabouts were not known to anyone at school. On February 14th when the disaster office published the list of missing people and survivors, Wesly's name was found on it. One of his class mates who found Wesly's name, sent an SMS message to students at school asking for prayers and his eternal repose. The message spread fast that Wesly had perished on the M.V.Rabaul Queen and his body was missing.

I was in Lae picking up the uniforms and also received the SMS at about 10.30pm. Since I had the news paper and the name list, I just wanted to make sure of the name and I found, to my surprise, that Wesly was now on the Survival list! I immediately called the school telling them that the boy was alive. Meanwhile Fr. Angelo had printed the photo of the boy and preparations were well in progress at school for the Requiem Mass the following day. We manage to acquire the mobile number of Wesly’s aunty who was in Lae and Wesly joined me on 16th to return to Don Bosco. He was given a rousing welcome by all Bosconians who were so happy to see the survivor Bosconian.

Wesly, who had been sleeping on the bottom deck, had came up top for his morning needs. Ferocious waves were lashing the vessel and at one moment the vessel lost its balance. According to him very strong rough 5 meter high waves engulfed the vessel and he was thrown from the ship. He removed his shoes and trousers and started to swim away from ship. He could see that within a few minutes the whole vessel had gone down, dragging most of the people with it. There were only six life-rafts available for  survivors. He grabbed hold of one of these rafts clinging on for five hours and battled the rough waters to save his life. A Chinese cargo ship rescued them. He came to Lae the following day. His beloved sister whom he had left asleep on the bottom deck of the ship is lost forever.

The Salesians, sisters, staff and students are happy to welcome our Survivor Bosconian back to his Alma Mater. We thank the good Lord for the gift of second life he has given to Wesly and the protection of Our Blessed Mother. We pray for the eternal repose of the souls of all who perished in the disaster and God may give peace and consolation to their families and all those who have survived.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
3510 World A taste of two tales -only available here1385_ 444
3509 GIA A special weekend in Japan province2180_ 440
3508 ITM 9142_Loke ita neon hare ba futuro: Open your minds to the future! 592
» PGS 3920_Dead man walking: Rabaul Queen Survivor returns to Don Bosco Tech Kumgi 569
3506 FIN 3530_Post-Nov Brothers as Papal Human Barricade (FIN) 1428
3505 CIN 3529_The Salesian Family Spirituality Day (CIN) 1618
3504 FIN 3528_Pope Francis Arrives in the Philippines (FIN-FIS) 1367
3503 MYM 3527_New EAO Provincials for MYN and ITM 1302
3502 THA 3526_God’s Gift during the Bicentenary of Don Bosco (THA) 1460
3501 FIN 3525_The First Don Bosco Film Festival held in Manila (FIN) 1223
3500 FIS 3524_The New Provical of Philippine-South (FIS) 1141
3499 VIE 3523_The New Superior for the Province of Vietnam 997
3498 GIA 3522_Quinquennium Formation for the KOR and GIA Confreres 1590
3497 KOR 3521_A Korean Pilgrimage in the Generalate-Rome 1438
3496 MYM 3520_A New Cardinal for Myanmar (MYM) 1120
3495 AUL 3519_A New Deacon among our Theologians in Melbourne (THA) 1036