Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austra L asia 1146

Small steps towards Open Source

ROME: 28th May 2005 --  What follows is both news and opinion.  There - I've declared my hand!  'The news' is that within the past month, a new document format has been approved as a worldwide standard.  It is called, simply enough, OpenDocument format and is backed by a movement called Open Source.  What it means effectively is that the one who uses the Open Document format is not locked in to a particular vendor or proprietary software. The rest that follows is opionion.  Take it or leave it.
    The issue possibly has implications for Salesians, because it is part of a wider issue of dependency that we all experience - dependency on proprietary software.  It occurs to me that the wealth of industrialised nations (I am looking only at the software/computer scene) is not entirely innocent nor apolitical.  The question came to me in two practical circumstances - buying cheap proprietary software for almost nothing in a part of Asia ($2 instead of $900), and suggesting to students from Ethiopia that they might want to get some help with essays, obviously using MSword as the medium.
    In the first instance, there is some sort of obvious ethical problem: call it piracy, or try to suggest that the 'benefits' of industrialised expertise is somehow being subsidised, made hidden or zeroed out, and the disks possibly don't work anyway when you get home!  A further problem is a spelling one - the disk I saw was called 'Adope collection'!!  In the second instance there is nothing obviously wrong with helping students from Ethiopia or anywhere else via MSword, but it might be a path taken which is not ultimately in the best interests of that nation, once one considers the costs involved in sustaining proprietary software use.
    So what could we do, practically speaking?  Over several months I have taken small steps, none of which I regret.  One is to use Mozilla's Firefox browser instead of IE Explorer.  Worth saying immediately that you probably should not attempt ever to remove IE since so much of the Windows system relies on it.  But nobody says you have to use it. Firefox is no worse (a tiny bit slower), probably better (it reads RSS to start with), definitely cheaper (nothing), and not as 'heavy'.  A second move is to ditch OE (Outlook Express) in favour of the open source Thunderbird.  Very definitely better in every respect.
    OpenOffice has arrived at the next-but-last beta format before OpenOffice 2.0.  I'm moving in that direction but haven't fully 'plunged' as yet.  It too costs, nothing, the OpenDocument format is now widely approved and backed by the EU, it does all that the 'other' office program does and a little more - it saves to PDF format without using the proprietary Adobe software.
    And Linux. you ask?  Haven't taken that step yet!  Need to think about it.  But there is another step I only have praise for.  It's called Wiki, and it's too long to write about here.  Look it up.  Wiki is all about collaborative text production - if you want to see it in action tell me and I'll demonstrate how to go about it and use it in a practical project.  JBF

VOCABULARY
to declare one's hand:  to state openly
Open Source: a movement that makes licenses and computer code freely available, and usually free in a financial sense.
vendor: a firm or group that sells things
proprietary: owned by someone (therefore not freely available and usually not free in financial terms)
apolitical: without political consequences, or nothing to do with politics.
to ditch: to throw out
AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For RSS feeds, subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/rssala.xml.  If you subscribe, email this information and your name will come off the regular email list.  RSS eliminates problems such as multiple mailings, viruses, email bloat.  Think about it!

__

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
1150 World 1150_History is made -again - in Jerusalem 396
1149 EAO 1149_June is 'ordination' month for EAO 482
1148 World 1148_SIP: Not a new province, but 'Come over to Macedonia' and try it out! 309
1147 MYM 1147_On the road to Mandalay: MYM setting out for bright future 447
» World 1146_Small steps towards Open Source 289
1145 India 1145_Film and Video on Salesian Brothers 265
1144 PGS 1144_Trauma training for churches 503
1143 EAO 1143_Russian in our region! 456
1142 RMG 1142_SELECT v. 1.0 now available on a computer near you 279
1141 Mongolia 1141_Darkhan: the latest star in Mary's crown 328
1140 India 1140_Maharashtra Social Forum attracts 60,000 306
1139 EAO 1139_'Study Vietnamese together': joint launch by Viet Salesians in Australia 311
1138 India 1138_ET turns 3, today! 245
1137 Pac. 1137_Samoa: Don Bosco and 'education for all' 622
1136 GIA 1136_Computers for the kids: at $100 they're a steal! 439
1135 India 1135_Final report of Past Pupils of Don Bosco Asia-Australia Congress 289
1134 India 1134_The Annals of the Salesian Society: an abridged version in English 489
1133 GIA 1133_"I'm very happy", says Regional at blessing of new Salesio Polytechnic 570
1132 World 1132_Salesian Bulletins: new directions in EAO? 472
1131 GIA 1131_Japan: "an unbelievable grace" as 1,000 set to work 511
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... 177 Next
/ 177