NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3292

What makes them tick? Interview with Bro John Bosco Tien Dung Vu, heading for Peru

VALDOCCO:  1 October, (St Therese of Infant Jesus - patron of Missions) 2013  Who passed on the faith to you?
When I was born I was baptized by a Salesian priest in Cau Bong parish. My large family environment was strongly conducive to my life of faith (grandfather and father were sacristans in my home parish). We usually prayed together after dinner - daily rosary and short Gospel reading. Attended daily mass in the evening, after mass said the rosary together - parishioners and Salesians, especially with many youth. This was for me a good habit from early childhood up to 20 years of age.

When did you decide to consecrate your life to God?
When I was 15 years old I went to Cau Bong community and stayed there in the small boarding house for 5 years while studying at secondary school. I liked that atmosphere (morning mass, prayers, sports, also with the prenovices. I have received a lot of Salesian spirit from the prenovices and learned how to communicate and understand others. And at the same time I joined the junior aspirants encounters on Sundays (15-20 years old). From 20 years of age I began to study graphic design and English (2 year course in HCM City, College). After 5 years as a junior aspirants I was invited by the SDB in charge to apply and I joined the prenovitiate (at 22).

Why did you join?
I have received a lot from the Salesians especially, and felt that Don Bosco is friendly. I felt happy when living with the SDB community - it was the main motivation. During the last year of postnovitiate (philosophy) I decided to apply for the missions. Why? During the first postnov year I prayed to Mary and Jesus a lot (novena to MHC). On my feastday, January 21  I started the novena to DB to give me some sign for starting a missionary life. And some weeks later in the middle of March there was a movie on after prayer and the Good night that I did not want to watch (dont' know why, felt a little worried), so I remained in the formation house chapel and went down later to the movie hall. The movie was 'Dont'cry for me Tonj' and I wanted to stay just a few minutes and continue with my studies, But I watched the movie till the end and I was deeply touched. It was a very special feeling and I started to cry, remained without words. The next day I approached my rector; he told my to continue to pray, continue the novena to MHC. After I finished the novena I talked to Fr. Rector about my deep yearning and was encouraged to write the application.

Where are you going on Mission?
I will be going to Peru. 

Expectations? 
No expectations, I want to obey anything what God want's me to do.

Why go off as a missionary, instead of evangelizing the young people of Vietnam?
I could have done that. After second year of postnovitiate (June-July) I spent two months in Pleikou diocese with the ethnic people, teaching some subjects (elementary and secondary school preparation). This activity was in the morning. In the afternoon we organized some kind of oratory, summer camp (both for Catholics and non-Christians). We were 3 SDBs and 2 aspirants in that small community - prayer and community life together. After 2 months we organized a big event for a 2 day camp. I was happy with the feedback of the youth about the DB charism (on the human level - no bad words, love each other) I was happy but one question remained: that God wants something more from me.

How has your personal experience been of the 25 day new missionary course?
I feel stronger now and I can discover a purer motivation and strengthen the Salesian charism; I feel closer to Don Bosco and his Salesian Family, understand more about Don Bosco.

Your 3 best impressions of the Salesians in Italy?
At the Pisana and Valdocco I had good experiences, some examples to follow. The elderly brother at the Salesianum (Br. Michele) was cleaning, doing everything for the Mass preparation. Some times I went to pray for few minutes in the chapel and I met Br. Michele. I felt that he mirrored so much of the Salesian vocation. The same at Colle Don Bosco - many brothers (especially Br. Giuseppe, serving on the table, sometimes he would chat with me after his service and I shared with him in a simple English. We cleaned the refectory after meals and met each other in the playground and boarding house, and communicated. He took care of me (Hallo, Sin Chao..). I felt such a nice Salesian spirit there. I will take care of confreres in the community wherever I will be sent in the future.

Your advice or greetings to any young Salesians who are discerning a missionary vocation? 
Spend more time with God and He will give you some sign about your vocation. That has been my personal experience. 

Since 1999 some one hundred (100) Vietnamese Salesians have received the missionary cross from the Rector Major. What are your thoughts about this?
First I would like to give thanks to God, since he called me as a Christian, Salesian and missionary - so I can dedicate the whole of my life for God, to work for Him. 100 Salesians... The Holy Spirit is working in the Vietnam province. He has given us a special grace. 

And for me? In my opinion God has some plan that I give my life for others, to share with people. The more you give, the happier you are.