Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #3291

Translation - first joyful mystery
by pv zk pv pv zk pv zk kz zk pv pv pv zk pv zk zk pzk pzk pvzkpvpvzk kkkkk bsch

NOT-BABEL: 30 September 2013 -- 30 September is International Translation Day, and while we might take it for granted that this is the feast of the patron saint of translators, translation is obviously not just a 'Christian' event, so it is remarkable that an 'international' day (since 1953) is still happy to have Christian leanings. St Jerome is famous not only for the 'Vulgate' but also because he wrote down his theory of translation. In his Letter to Pammachius on the Best Method of Translating, he put it this way: 

Not only do I admit, but I proclaim at the top of my voice, that in translating from Greek, except from Sacred Scripture, where even the order of the words is of God’s doing [in fact, he says 'is a mystery'], I have not translated word for word, but sense for sense. 

The truth of that final axiom (leaving aside the earlier part!) is brilliantly displayed in one translator's way of tackling a very difficult pun in French, a humorous visiting card with the words: Adolf Hitler/Fourrer written on it. The joke is that Fourrer (furrier) is very close to the French for Führer. The clever translator got that into English this way: Adolf Hitler/German Lieder. That is sense-to-sense rather than word-for-word at its best! Or if you prefer to go in the other direction, this time from English to Italian, I know of an author who described a girl as “a va-va-voom gorgeous blonde”. A little time around an oratory or on a Roman street could suggest that as “una bionda da urlo" -- a blonde to scream for, youthful slang for what might draw a whistle of appreciation!  But let's get back on track.....
Could we try the Archangel Gabriel?
There is no Nobel prize for translation, so it looks like sainthood is the highest reward...or higher still? Let's suggest the Archangel Gabriel as a patron for translation. For a start, Gabriel also appeals to the Jewish tradition (interpreted the prophet Daniel) and the Islamic (gave the Qur'an to Muhammed), so is arguably more international than Jerome. 
You are beloved
We have no theory of translation from Gabriel (that I know of) but we have his translation/interpretation/messaging praxis to learn from: to begin with he enthusiastically conveys God’s approval. “You are beloved,” he assures Daniel more than once (9:23; 10:11,19), and with a gentle touch, strengthens the trembling human to stand before his angelic glory and receive the insight he seeks. So maybe a hint to a translator's prayer  for insight going on here?
Suffer your mistakes
When you are hard at work translating, you understandably want to question the meaning of words - like Zechariah, remember, the future father of John the Baptist: “How shall I know this?” (in reference to the priestly prophecy). It may sound like a reasonable question (Luke 1:18), but intimate association with the Searcher of Minds and Hearts enables Gabriel to spot the unbelief that motivated the questioner. Gabriel pronounces a punishment that provides an opportunity for conversion: “You will be speechless and unable to talk until the day these things take place” (Luke 1:20). Translators don't know it all, as it happens. They make mistakes. They need conversion! 
Hail, favoured one!
They need a bit of praise too. Consider Gabriel’s visit to Mary. Mary reflects God's will perfectly, and Gabriel affirms it: Awesome! “Hail, favoured one!”, he translates God's mind as (Luke 1:28). One might also suspect that he has a good notion Mary will end up 'Queen of Angels', so it doesn't hurt to offer some praise! 
Angels, like translators, never retire
And don't forget that like angels, translators never retire, so they may need something for flagging energy. Gabriel doesn't get a guernsey at the story of Bethlehem, but after all his translation and interpretation service to divine diplomacy he could hardly be left out of the culminating moment and was possibly leading the chorus of heavenly hosts as they appeared over sleeping sheep and watchful shepherds - who are then energised; they become the first evangelists in Luke's Gospel. Translators, be energised!
A joyful mystery indeed...
Yes, maybe translation comes under 'A' for Annunciation, a joyful mystery, rather than 'B' for Babel the sorrowful and disheartening 'mystery of many tongues'. And maybe Salesians could look upon translation as a joyful task, even a prayerful one, where we are reminded of God more than Google. And if Gabriel was God's first minister, maybe we could consider this work of interpreting God's message as a clear sign that translation is an angelic ministry.
...and fun
Oh, and translation can also be fun! Put the following into Google translate (from any language to any language) and press the 'listen' icon: 
pv zk pv pv zk pv zk kz zk pv pv pv zk pv zk zk pzk pzk pvzkpvpvzk kkkkk bsch

Then there's always the phrasebook scene in Monty Python's Flying Circus!