NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1301

The compleat lexical tutor!  Want to improve your English and have lots of fun as well?
 and if you are teaching English to young Salesians in Vietnam, Korea, Japan, Fiji, Philippines, Australia or anywhere, please read on...

CYBERSPACE: 23rd October 2005 --  More than fifty percent of austraLasia's readers are speakers of English as an Other Tongue (EOT), as this writer likes to term it, since English is best not described as 'foreign' (EFL), nor for many users as a 'second language' (ESL), since for many it may be a third, fourth or 'other' tongue. 
    The single most commented-on feature of austraLasia in the past year has been the occasional addition of a vocabulary or lexicon beneath a news item: that same 50% (or higher) of readers finds it of value.  Well, here is an offer that even the other 50% (or lower!) will find useful and that both groups will enjoy.  It is called The Compleat Lexical Tutor and you can connect to it at www.lextutor.ca .
    The Compleat Lexical Tutor is a goldmine.  It works online, so I'm sorry - if you can't spend at least five minutes online to take a look, then this one is not for you.  If your access is unlimited, then beware!!  Your community will curse you if you are 'hogging' the only computer in the place.  But this is a forgivable addiction.  Whether you are in Suva, Ulaanbaatar, Shanghai, Daejeong, Lahore, Melbourne....there is something there for you.
    You will find three columns. (Oh, and if you also speak French, there are additional joys in store).  The left hand column is the best column for English learners.  Start with the 'test your word level' item.  Take it from me, with some experience in this area; this is not cheap fun, it is valuable fun.  The tests are based on the very best of orpus-driven studies in English (the main corpus collections are to be found in Britain and the US), and other than paying fairly steepamounts to get hold of the British National Corpus of a million plus words, you can't do better than The Compleat Lexical Tutor to gain access for nothing - but access that actually does something for you.  So try your word levels.  I started with the last one and almost had my pride dashed...but saved myself at the last moment!  There's lots more in that column, but for the learners, I recommend Read Resource Assisted:  there you can listen to 'The Call of the Wild' (you'll nead Realplayer) and call up words you don't know through a link to Wordnet, another marvellous lexical resource which linguists swear by.
    The 'Research' column, the middle column, is just as interesting and there is nothing stopping anyone from exploring it.  The text tools can be very useful - you have to work with .txt extension however.  If anyone finds these tools useful, I can give you an even better and absolutely free instrument that works with .doc and .html as well, and you don't need the intenet to run it.  Just send a note to the return address for austraLasia and I'll send it along.
    English teachers (the third column is called 'Teachers') will find useful material there too; everyone should find the Brown or BNC Corpus collections useful, but I'd suggest you read the 'why and wherefore' in the second column to get a better idea of how they can be useful.
    If this reaches you on Sunday, and it's a quiet day with not a lot else to do.....do enjoy!  JBF

VOCABULARY
hogging:  the verb 'hog' is colloquial and means to be selfish, or at least to take more than your fair share!
corpus:  in this context a 'body' of words; a list of anything up to several million words taken from real language, what people say.
steep: normally means a slope more than 45 degrees, but whenever it is near the word 'pay' it means high prices: pay a steep amount!
swear by:  while 'swearing' usually means using bad language, its real origins are the taking of an oath, 'swearing by' Almighty God.  This is the sense here.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
1310 India 1310_Jubilarians celebration brings Salesians together from India and East Africa 393
1309 KOR 1309_Blessed Michael Rua: communication and language 423
1308 CIN 1308_China Salesian Cooperators' Provincial Council elections 234
1307 VIE 1307_Salesians from Vietnam visit Slovenia to honour memory of Province 'Patriarch' Fr Andrej Majcen 290
1306 KOR 1306_Korean SB runs a special on Salesian vocation 279
1305 World 1305_From the home of Good News: Shalom! A new venture in an international community 578
1304 World 1304_Reading Salesian literature: a proven guide 187
1303 Cambodia 1303_DON BOSCO PHNOM PENH CAMBODIA CONGRATULATES BACHELOR OF TECHNOLOGY FIRST GRADUATES 427
1302 CIN 1302_Chinese - a language of choice 361
» World 1301_The compleat lexical tutor! Want to improve your English and have lots of fun as well? 333
1300 World 1300_Inside the Vatican: Inside the Synod - for the very last time, at least in this capacity, our expert says! 290
1299 Pac. 1299_From Chennai to Suva 441
1298 World 1298_Review of Moja translation of Teresio Bosco's Don Bosco: una biografia nuova 438
1297 India 1297_South Asia Region takes bold steps forward in communications 1897
1296 KOR 1296_Don Bosco feast day celebrated in Daejeong, Korea 327
1295 Mongolia 1295_Rosary is all the go with the kids in Mongolia 458
1294 India 1294_Centenary Seminar : Know where you intend to go! 364
1293 India 1293_Social communications seminar in Guwahati 267
1292 GIA 1292_Yokohama: 9 students struck by motorist, two died from injuries 336
1291 KOR 1291_Bro. Moses Kim: Korean Ambassador to Holy See hosts 'month's mind' 361
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 177 Next
/ 177