Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1494

Choose Life!  A perspective on HIV/AIDS
(A 'toward #1500' entry - also from Melanesia)

HONIARA: 18th March 2006 --  Bishop Kevin Dowling CssR has been touring Melanesia with a simple message: "Choose Life - and do all we can to help others choose life!", his closing words at the Eucharistic celebration at Holy Cross Cathedral, Honiara this week.  Bishop Dowling had just come from Papua New Guinea where he also spoke on the subject of HIV/AIDS. Bishop Dowling is Bishop of Rustenburg, the site of the world's largest platinum mines in North West South Africa - but also some of the worst squatter settlements in the nation, where HIV/AIDS is rife at 47.2% of the local population. He set up the Bishops' National AIDS Office which runs programs hardest hit in the five most worst affected nations in Africa.
    The HIV and AIDS pandemic throughout the world is affecting every aspect of life today - individuals, families (especially), communities and societies, Bishop Dowling said.  It is seriously impacting the economies of countries by taking skilled workers out of the market - sick, dying, unable to work.  it even threatens the survival of some small societies or nations, e.g. Swaziland and Botswana - and Solomon Islands is a small nation of fewer than 500,000 people.
    Bishop Dowling soon warmed to his real message, which was not one of scary statistics, but that people in societies such as in Melanesia are "religious" - the spiritual dimension is part of them, and can be built on. Churches and Faith communities can have a positive or negative effect on people by way of the attitudes and beliefs they build up in people and communities concerning HIV infection. "Our goal should be to enable people to affirm 'I am not this cancer of the bone...leukaemia...HIV positive...I am a person'.  As a person I am not separate from the beauty of nature, animals, all forms of life.  Everything is interconnected.  Spiritual or being spiritual means regarding everything as sacred, and a way to transform myself/ourselves from within.  It is a journey to awareness of God, a higher power, in me; to inner stillness, meaning, the ability to live in the now, to be present to myself and to God".
    The bishop recognized that those who are dying of AIDS need accompaniment, and that people who share this aspect of those individuals' 'now' are crucial to positive, life-giving acceptance, to letting go of the past and the fear of the future. Bishop Dowling likened the opposite attitude - rejection - as akin to apartheid.  The one discriminated on the basis of colour or race, the other discriminates on the basis of disease.  The proper message is "God loves you and accepts you as you are.  No matter what has happened in your life God loves and forgives.  God will never reject you - we will not either".
    In 2005, some 8.3 million people were living with HIV in Asia, including 1.1 million people who became newly infected in the past year. AIDS claimed some 520,000 lives in 2005.  An estimated 74,000 people in Oceania are living with HIV. Although less than 4,000 people are believed to have died of AIDS in 2005, about 8,200 are thought to have become newly infected with HIV.  Among young people 15–24 years of age, an estimated 1.2% of women and 0.4% of men were living with HIV in 2005. 

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
2050 World 1481_How they brought the Good News from Ghent to Ranchi* 516
2049 FIN 1482_Brothers in preparation - Blessed Artemides Zatti will be celebrated on 15th March 427
2048 World 1483_WCB meeting in Rome - interview with Philip Yu 279
2047 AUL 1484_Rector of Don Bosco Technical Institute, Honiara, visits Australia 449
2046 World 1485_"Can I get that lost file back, or is it gone forever?" 413
2045 World 1486_"...so matters in the Indies and Australia don't interfere with those in Argentina". 578
2044 PGS 1487_PNG adds new dimension to Delegation life 530
2043 Cambodia 1488_Communications Office - development in Poipet 525
2042 World 1489_Your help requested: a 'portal poll' and a young leaders in catechetics programme 290
2041 Indonesia Jakarta Formation Communities celebrate Zatti Feast1490_ 505
2040 ITM 1491_Obrigado barak Senhor Jose! Thanks a lot for 60 years in East Timor 366
2039 World 1492_Would you like to win a DVD on St. Francis de Sales and Annecy? 253
2038 PGS 1493_British High Commission presents charity proceeds to Don Bosco Tech - Boroko 842
» World 1494_Choose Life! A perspective on HIV/AIDS 457
2036 FIS 1495_Don Bosco celebrates 50 years in Pakistan! 421
2035 Cambodia 1496_When English stirs the creative juices - Poipet experience 412
2034 World 1497_Open Source Don Bosco Part 1 361
2033 Pac. 1498_Container for Fiji sports gear, but not for Peter's enthusiasm 453
2032 World 1499_Open Source Don Bosco Part II - forking the PS! 326
2031 India 1500_Ambitious Jesus Music Video Starts out fundless 514
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 177 Next
/ 177