Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1485

"Can I get that lost file back, or is it gone forever?"

ROME: 11th March 2006 --  Every problem (almost) has a solution.  Two things prompt this austraLasia: a request from a desperate confrere with a corrupt Word file and the arrival of a 'Dear ...' letter from a data recovery firm offering 'free-to-try' data recovery software.  The request was easily solved; the letter - well, according to a principle espoused in #1475, why should one pay (after trying) when it is possible to do the same for nothing?  As everyone at some time or other unthinkingly deletes a file then needs it back, or suffers some form of file corruption, I thought maybe some simple practical advice might be helpful.  At a certain point, however, simple solutions don't work and you either get expert help or give up!
    The solution to the confrere's problem was simple.  Not always but often, a corrupted Word file will open in another, similar program.  I use OpenOffice anyway, as often as I can, and that's free.  On this occasion OO had no trouble in opening the 'corrupt' file.  But there was another method we could have used - and most people don't know they have it!  Select a file to open in the 'open' window, and once you have selected it go down to the 'open' box where you see a little down-arrow.  Left click the arrow and you will find an 'open and repair' option.  Excel has the same option.
    Yet another solution was to save a copy of the offending file but as .txt instead of .doc.  Then try opening that - it often works.
    What if it is a case of a deleted file?  That too can be easy enough, especially if it was recent.  Let's presume you've looked in the recycle bin and can't find it there (since looking there is the best way to begin). No file is actually really deleted for quite some time, even if all visible traces of it are gone.  The trick is to know how to find invisible traces!  There is a very simple little zip programme, free of course, that you can download.  I keep it on my desktop - or rather, I unzip it to the desktop where it is easily visible and usable from a folder, since it involves several small files.  It is called Restoration.zip.  http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/Restoration.zip Just follow the directions once you've unzipped it.  You don't need to have lost a file to try it.  It will find all your recently deleted files for you.  That's a Hungarian effort.  If you prefer a Japanese one and want something also a bit more sophisticated, then DataRecovery at http://tokiwa.tomato.ne.jp/EN/DataRecovery_EN.zip should help.  One step further up the ladder is PCInspector, still free atwww.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/download.htm There are still other solutions of this kind, also free, but enough is enough!
    These will not solve all your problems, and you may have additional ones anyway, like a failed disk.  But for mine, it's worth keeping a copy of Restoration.zip since it adds nothing to your computer, doesn't fiddle with the disk, and simply finds what you've lost, most of the time.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
3530 World 0176_SALESIAN PAST PUPIL INSPIRED TO TAKE UP LAY MISSIONARY CALL 34328
3529 FIN 3080_My Mother's Heart 28937
3528 EAO 2175_EAO Mobile Team hard at work 21109
3527 CIN 2447_Creative Evangelization in Taiwan 19935
3526 GIA 0732_CIMATTI: NEW BOOK THROWS LIGHT ON 'MAESTRO' FOR OUR TIMES 16878
3525 RMG 3384_GC27 due to formally begin! 16538
3524 PGS 0462_SELF DISCOVERY AND AWARENESS 15033
3523 India 1757_An attractive programme of life: Da mihi animas cetera tolle - and Exploring Salesian Ethos 14532
3522 Pac. 0173_SLIDE VERSION: SALESIAN YOUTH SPIRITUALITY 13620
3521 ITM 2815_Don Bosco conquers the hearts of thousands of young people in Timor Leste 12969
3520 Cambodia 1832_Voice of Don Bosco now to be heard in Khmer 10021
3519 World 2604_Going online in a big way! 8892
3518 ITM 0918_East Timor: Open Forum discussion on RM's Letters to the Congregation 6837
3517 PGS 0832_ PNG Delegation is 10 going 25! 6595
3516 Pac. 0968_Fiji: the first six Final Professions for the community 6163
3515 CIN 3212_China Province: An Elder is a Treasure in the Family 5268
3514 RMG 0562_YET ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE 5012
3513 PGS 3244_PNG-SI Salesian Family Day and Retreat 4623
3512 PGS 0726_GRASSROOTS MEDIA AWARENESS IN SOLOMONS 4244
3511 ITM 3271_Sacerdotal Ordination in East Timor (ITM) 4189
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 177 Next
/ 177