NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1300

Inside the Vatican: Inside the Synod - for the very last time, at least in this capacity, our expert says!
Read on!

VATICAN CITY: 22nd October 2005 -- And so we come to the end of the Eleventh Synod of Bishops, during which we celebrated the 40th year of this particular instrument of the Church’s Magisterium.  We have considered The Eucharist: The Source and Summit of the Life and Mission of the Church.  The Synod of Bishops and the International Theological Commission were established by Paul VI, to continue the presence of Bishops from all over the world (the Synod) and the presence of different theological perspectives from all over the world (the Theological Commission), so richly visible at Vatican II.  I have now had considerable experience on both bodies, and I am grateful that I have been blessed with these opportunities, however ambiguous these institutions ultimately prove to be.  You have read my earlier reflections … there is little need to comment further on the “ambiguity” inherent in such institutions.  More of that below, and my opinions have also been made available for all concerned on ZenitThe National Catholic Reporter, and Vatican Radio.
    This week has seen a change in method.  Much of the first two weeks was given to the response of the Bishops to the Instrumentum Laboris and the reflection of Cardinal Angelo Scola upon that document.  Over 230 Bishops spoke.  There was a lot of repetition, but each one had his chance to reflect on some aspect of the Eucharistic life of the Church.  Their interventions were followed by further prepared reflections from invited members of Churches not in communion with Rome.  The experts had the task of trying to find traces of unifying issues through these interventions, and eventually provided Cardinal Scola with suggestions that he merged into a further major discourse that brought the interventions to an end, and sent us off into small language groups (Circuli Minores).  We had started that process when I wrote last, but these groups worked to generate the Propositiones (Proposals) that went back to the Synod as a whole.  This week has been dominated by work on the Propositiones and the evaluation of the work of a smaller group, some nominated by the Holy Father and others elected, to prepare a Nuntius (Message) from the Synod to all of good will.

More than 250 Propositiones from the small groups were forged (by the experts!) into a document of 50 proposals, and the Synod was presented with these proposals on Wednesday afternoon.  Traditionally, this is the list of recommendations that the Synod makes to the Holy Father, that he might eventually formulate his Post Synodal Exhortation.  I will mention below that Benedict XVI has changed this process.  Many were disappointed with the Propositiones, and we went back into the small groups to propose amendments (all day Thursday).  Again the experts worked late at night (and early morning) to collate and evaluate the suggested amendments to the Propositiones (called modi in this Latin-speaking world).  Friday was “decision day.”  The Nuntius, which we had all seen in an earlier version, in French (original), English (translation by FJM), German, Italian and Spanish, was submitted to a final reading and approval.
    This was an extremely disappointing session.  There is nothing “magisterial” about the message (Nuntius).  It is a word of enthusiasm and hope to the world at large about the work of the Synod.  One after the other, the Curial Cardinals rose and asked that it be changed.  It was too “open,” there was too much “hope,” and it did not reflect the tradition of the Church.  I will share two comments interventions that disturbed me a great deal.  "We must not speak of the 'suffering' of those who are divorced and remarried. Such people are in that situation because of their own ill-willed rejection of the teaching of the Church".  "We should not speak of the suffering of the AIDS victims in Africa, as this too reflects indiscriminate sexual activity, and the world might think we are encouraging the use of condoms between married people".  This was an extremely “low” moment, and many of us – including many of the Bishops – left that session very discouraged.  Both of these interventions came from Curial Cardinals; and they are only the worst examples of what was a terrible display from our Ecclesiastical leadership.  “I came not to call the righteous, but sinners” (Mark 2:17); “For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities, for when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Cor 12:10).  If only we could be guided by the Word of God!

The final version of the corrected Propositiones was put before us on Friday afternoon.  There are disappointments here, as one might expect, and the subsequent vote upon them has shown that not all 50 can go ahead, but they are the result of hard arguing.  I personally find that more satisfying: you fight … and you lose!  We voted for a document that was to be given to the Holy Father.  At the end of this difficult session (this morning – Saturday, October 22), the Holy Father announced that he wanted these Propositiones published, so that the world will know what the Synod proposed to him, and will be able, eventually, to decide how he has responded to them as he writes his Exhortation.

We closed with a quite wonderful dinner for over 300 people.  The Holy Father presided, and spoke beautifully of the importance of shared meals as the source of Jesus’ own experience … that is where Eucharist receives its inspiration.  Tomorrow is the Pontifical Mass (along with 5 canonisations [left over from John Paul II’s era] and the celebration of World Mission Day.  It promises to be long; let’s hope it does not rain!  It has rained most of the three weeks of the Synod.

I could reflect further on what I regard as the contemporary Church’s most serious challenge: the need to return to the spirit of Gaudium et Spes and engage with the world.  I do not see it happening.  More on this as we go further (and for those who have resources, a close reading of E. Fouilloux, “Intransigeance Catholique et ‘Monde Moderne’ [19– 20Siècles],  Revue d’histoire ecclésiastique 96 (2001): 71-87, is a powerful point de départ).

But this moment in the Church’s history is over.  I was privileged to be part of it.  I said to the Secretary General of the Synod (Archbishop Nicholas Eterovic) that the only way he would get me back to a Bishops’ Synod was to make me a Bishop, and impose my presence.  That, fortunately, will not happen.  This is hard – and often discouraging – work.  I now have 6 weeks ahead of me in WashingtonDC, during which so much has to be done … not the least saying farewells.  But my first farewell must be to the wonderful community here at the Polyglott Press.  I have loved my time with them … and wondered at the remarkable and unthanked service they render to the Church.  Keep them (and me) in your prayers.
Francis J. Moloney, S.D.B.
AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For RSS feeds, subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/rssala.xml.  If you subscribe, email this information and your name will come off the regular email list.  RSS eliminates problems such as multiple mailings, viruses, email bloat.  Think about it!

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
2250 World 1281_Don Bosco - a New Biography: Teresio Bosco's masterpiece in new English translation 351
2249 Cambodia 1282_Rainy season does not deter Cambodian school year opening 478
2248 FIS 1283_Lahore community heads out to join rescue mission on Pakistan's North West Frontier 498
2247 FIS 1284_"Bus sent by Providence", says Fr Zago, Superior of Pakistan mission 423
2246 ASC 1285_Cooperator Draft Statutes - English version; Chinese SELECT 951
2245 CIN 1286_HK outreach to 'runaways and throwaways', especially under 18 299
2244 AUL 1287_Melbourne Salesian College develops and opens 'Mannix' Year 9 Campus 169
2243 CIN 1288_Hong Kong's first 'School of Hip Hop' - inside 'The Hangout'. 202
2242 World 1289_Inside the Vatican - inside the Synod (3rd report): Week Two 2007
2241 THA 1290_Thailand uses mid-term 3 week vacation for youth action 526
2240 KOR 1291_Bro. Moses Kim: Korean Ambassador to Holy See hosts 'month's mind' 361
2239 GIA 1292_Yokohama: 9 students struck by motorist, two died from injuries 336
2238 India 1293_Social communications seminar in Guwahati 267
2237 India 1294_Centenary Seminar : Know where you intend to go! 363
2236 Mongolia 1295_Rosary is all the go with the kids in Mongolia 458
2235 KOR 1296_Don Bosco feast day celebrated in Daejeong, Korea 327
2234 India 1297_South Asia Region takes bold steps forward in communications 1897
2233 World 1298_Review of Moja translation of Teresio Bosco's Don Bosco: una biografia nuova 438
2232 Pac. 1299_From Chennai to Suva 441
» World 1300_Inside the Vatican: Inside the Synod - for the very last time, at least in this capacity, our expert says! 290
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 177 Next
/ 177