Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #1278

Inside the Vatican: Inside the Synod!

VATICAN CITY: 9th October 2005 - The following comment is verbatim from the Salesian expert at the Synod, Fr Frank Moloney. He refers to the experts as so-called and surrounds them with quotation marks, but this reporter believes the term is justified at least in this instance!  After the first week, then.....
    "...The rhythm of work is quite remarkable.  We start at 9 every morning, and continue till 12.30pm.  The so-called “experts” assemble at 3.30pm, and then the plenary starts again at 4.30pm.  We work till 7pm.  The three and a half hours in the afternoon can be quite draining.  Fortunately, at the express request of Benedict XVI, during the final hour of each day (from 6pm-7pm) the members of the Synod have an open debate.  Amazingly, this debate can be very lively, with a certain amount of cut and thrust from different sides of the ideological divides that one necessarily finds in Holy Mother Church!
    "Impressions after the first week are many.  As these are personal reflections, and I am not in a position to share information on what is actually said (although I find this strange, as the Italian version of the daily Osservatore Romano reports most of the interventions almost verbatim!), I will share just one reflection.  What I am about to write has been with me for the major part of this week.  The Rector here at the Salesian Community of the Vatican Polyglott Press asked me to give the “good night” this evening, and I also shared this with the wonderful community here.
    "
In the Synod Hall, people are seated in order of hierarchical significance: the Cardinals fill the front rows, then the Archbishops and Bishops … and at the very back, the experts and the observers.  Listening to the various interventions from the Archbishops and Bishops is a moving experience.  These are the men who are facing the reality of the day-to-day life of the Church.  Some of their speeches are very touching: witnesses to martyrdom, the desperate need for the Eucharist in so many communities, and the heartfelt request for greater freedom for the Episcopal Conferences: more inculturation, a closer look at the question of a celibate clergy, the issue of intercommunion, the pastoral problems of divorced and remarried, etc.  One of the most touching reflections was from a minority Church in an Islamic country where a Christian woman who marries a Muslim is excluded from her Christian community and excluded from the Muslim family as well.  This is powerful stuff!  I must also say (as I think [has been] heard in the Australian press) that the Bishops of PNG and the South Pacific have been very courageous.  As yet the Australian Bishops have not made a major impact, although Archbishop Adrian Doyle (Hobart) spoke well of the virtues of dedicated Priests.
    "The response from the Cardinals and the Curia to this cry for help is unfailingly negative.  They will not and do not want to hear what is being said.  What I find touching, however, is the presence of Benedict XVI in the midst of all this.  He has only missed one session: he had a dental appointment!  Benedict XVI is a very intelligent and sensitive man.  I cannot help but wonder how he feels as he senses the call for help from the Church at large, and the rejection of that call from the Church’s Curial leadership.  He has made one long intervention himself on the Eucharist as “prophetic memory.”  It was unforgettable.  Only time will tell..

"Keep us all in your prayers as later this week we will move on from the general discussions into the stage of the “Propositions” that will be voted, and then sent on to the Holy Father to guide him in his post-Synodal exhortation.  But especially, keep Benedict XVI in your prayers.  He is in an unenviable situation, and needs all the support we can give him – in whatever way we may be able to do that!
 "
AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For RSS feeds, subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/rssala.xml.  If you subscribe, email this information and your name will come off the regular email list.  RSS eliminates problems such as multiple mailings, viruses, email bloat.  Think about it!

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
3530 World 0176_SALESIAN PAST PUPIL INSPIRED TO TAKE UP LAY MISSIONARY CALL 34319
3529 FIN 3080_My Mother's Heart 28937
3528 EAO 2175_EAO Mobile Team hard at work 21109
3527 CIN 2447_Creative Evangelization in Taiwan 19935
3526 GIA 0732_CIMATTI: NEW BOOK THROWS LIGHT ON 'MAESTRO' FOR OUR TIMES 16871
3525 RMG 3384_GC27 due to formally begin! 16538
3524 PGS 0462_SELF DISCOVERY AND AWARENESS 15031
3523 India 1757_An attractive programme of life: Da mihi animas cetera tolle - and Exploring Salesian Ethos 14528
3522 Pac. 0173_SLIDE VERSION: SALESIAN YOUTH SPIRITUALITY 13619
3521 ITM 2815_Don Bosco conquers the hearts of thousands of young people in Timor Leste 12969
3520 Cambodia 1832_Voice of Don Bosco now to be heard in Khmer 10021
3519 World 2604_Going online in a big way! 8892
3518 ITM 0918_East Timor: Open Forum discussion on RM's Letters to the Congregation 6831
3517 PGS 0832_ PNG Delegation is 10 going 25! 6581
3516 Pac. 0968_Fiji: the first six Final Professions for the community 6157
3515 CIN 3212_China Province: An Elder is a Treasure in the Family 5265
3514 RMG 0562_YET ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE 5012
3513 PGS 3244_PNG-SI Salesian Family Day and Retreat 4620
3512 PGS 0726_GRASSROOTS MEDIA AWARENESS IN SOLOMONS 4241
3511 ITM 3271_Sacerdotal Ordination in East Timor (ITM) 4189
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 177 Next
/ 177