Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
THAT REMARKABLE MAN FROM SHANGRI-LA
The life story (ongoing) of Fr. Dominic Curto SDB

ROME: 29th August --  Fr. Dominic, indomitable missionary and racconteur, already celebrating 25 years in the Philippines with 9 years in Bhutan and 30 years in India as a warm-up!  How could one encapsulate such a lifetime in a few words?  The stories just tumble out of him after 'pranzo at the Pisana', and austraLasia could not resist seizing upon the remarkable interlude in Bhutan as a reporter's dream.  I mean, to dream of Shangri-La is one thing; to meet one of those who takes his place in that royal kingdom's history is quite another.  Let Fr. Dominic tell his own story....

"The Technical School was opened on request of the then Paro Penlop (1964), so as to train young lads in trades.  The first Salesians in-charge were the late Fr. Philip Giraudo and Fr. Giaime.  A few years later, they were joined by Fr. Dominic Curto and Bro. Gabriel Garniga.  The King and Queen (now Queen Mother - Ashi Kesang Wanchuck) used to visit the School very often and showed their appreciation to the Fathers for their valuable educational system.  The Fathers  were told that Bhutanese lads understand  only the stick .  We never used it!   “Fathers,” the Queen   remarked in one of her frequent visits, (almost monthly). “I see that you have formed a family with your boys” – “Yes, the students are good boys”, Fr. Philip answered.  The Queen added: “It is your dedication and sacrifices that work.”

On another occasion, the Father was called  to see the Queen at the Namseling Palace. She had two couples as guests: one from the U.S. and the other from Switzerland.  She introduced the Father to the guests: “Here is Fr. N.N. who works very much for our poor Bhutanese youngsters.  We feel very grateful to the Fathers. "

During the 7-day coronation feast of her son as king, the Queen mother  and the new king often sat for hours chatting with  the Fathers while watching the Bhutanese dances.  At  the last dinner, the Father took his plate and lined up for a self serving with at least 150  foreign guests viz. Ambassadors, High Officials of different Governments: viz. U.S., Swiss, U.K, Chinese, Australians etc.  The Queen approached him and said,  “Father, you are my real brother who works much for my poor Bhutanese”.  Next she took the plate from the Father and went to fill it  with the goodies of the dinner. “Father, you  work  a lot and have to eat”, she muttered.

She had the Father sit at her very table to eat.  During  the Queen’s travelling to Thimphu – Phutsholing,  a 6-hour drive,  every body had to stop along by the side of the road, get out of the car and bow at the King and Queen as they passed  by. But whenever she spotted a Father, she had the long car line wait.  She would move out of  her car, approach the Father and ask him whether he was okay.  She would then call her attendant and order him to bring gifts (fruits or anything) to the Father: “Father you need them.”, she would say.

In 1983, she invited Frs. Philip and Dominic as royal guests to Thimphu.  She had them put up  at the Bhutan Hotel at her own expense. Often she enquired whether the Fathers were alright and warned the manager to comply with any request of theirs.

March 2000, Fr. Dominic was invited by the Don Bosco past pupils to visit Bhutan.  Beside the past pupils, the whole  family of Fr. Kinley S.J. treated the priest as their real Father.  Fr. Kinley was a Buddhist lad,   but endowed  by God with special spiritual gifts.  He was baptized in 1972. He wanted to die a martyr, and proclaimed before the King and his council that he was a Christian.  After some trials and  discussions, the King allowed him to remain a Catholic but he bade him not to teach the Christian religion, because a Bhutanese, he said, has to be a Buddhist. The lad then 17, told the king “Poen, I shall not preach in public, but in private,  I’ll say what I feel.” After his baptism, Kinley held a very profitable business in the country.  He was the most outstanding and enlightened person in the Kingdom.  After 10 years he left a very profitable career to become a Jesuit priest of the Darjeeling Province.   Before entering the Jesuit noviciate, he came to Santa Cruz [Philippines, and the scene of Fr. Dominic's 25 years work in that province, to get acquainted with a Christian environment.  From Kurseong he now visits Bhutan nearly every month and says Sunday Masses for the Christians who work there.

Once, Fr. Kinley’s mother told the Father: “Lobe” (teacher) whenever you enter my house, I feel the sun enters it.” This year, she said again: “Lobe” (teacher), kadingche La (thank you) for having  made my son a Christian Lama.”    

It was time to take a break.  I needed it more than Fr. Dominic.  Tomorrow he returns to the Philippines.  Are the Salesians presently in Bhutan?  Nepal, yes.  Bhutan no, but Fr. Dominic could not resist a comment there either.  Let him conclude...

"Some of our past pupils have suggested me to start an association of the past pupils of Don Bosco. Sangey Tenzing, past pupil and now director of the whole of theBhutan telecommunication system, suggested he would print the news on the weekly paper, “Kuensell”,  several times, so as to notify all the members to attend the meeting.  What a wonderful idea!  Don Bosco will again enter Bhutan and guide the youth to be just what he wanted, i.e. 'honorable and useful citizens' of Bhutan and of heaven, God willing.  Don Bosco loves the Bhutanese youth, who still follow their untainted, and simple Buddhist way of life."

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
43 India 0856_Bangalore 'BOSCO' Director receives award today. 303
42 India 0848_ Kolkata in readiness: 8th Asia-Australia Don Bosco Past Pupils 445
41 India 0844_India North East: New Bachelor Degree Course in Music tunes in to local needs 180
40 India 0833_Jhabua Good News Story 454
39 India 0807_THE NEWLY APPROVED SALESIAN KONKAN VICE-PROVINCE 213
38 India 0804_India: Cooperators' plan for centenary 240
37 India 0792_JHABUA, INDIA: FOLLOW-UP TO COMMUNAL VIOLENCE SITUATION 213
36 India 0791_JHABUA AND ALIRAJPUR - A SITUATION FOR PROFOUND CONCERN 376
35 India 0786_DON BOSCO ALIRAJPUR VILLAGE ANIMATOR ATTACKED 442
34 India 0772_Church Leaders, Social Activists Call for Concerted Peace Action in Guwahati 188
33 India 0769_GUWAHATI: PEACE CALL FOR END TO INSURGENCY 183
32 India 0760_NORTH-EAST INDIA: SDB ARCHBISHOP SADDENED BY LOCAL VIOLENCE 183
31 India 0758_INDIA: GOAN SDB RALLIES VILLAGERS AND PROMOTES ECOLOGY 247
30 India 0744_GOA: CHILDLINE SERVICE CROSSES 1200 226
29 India 0741_BIS: THE NEWS AGENCIES ARE GROWING! 248
28 India 0719_EAST ASIA-OCEANIA: FORMATION FOCUS 328
27 India 0717_SRI LANKA: TIPTOE THROUGH THE TANGLES 247
» India 0711_THAT REMARKABLE MAN FROM SHANGRI-LA 441
25 India 0709_BOMB-SHATTERED CITY TO TACKLE GRASS-ROOTS PEACE WITH SDB HELP 247
24 India 0684_HILL COLLEGE GOES HI-TECH FOR QUALITY EDUCATION 656
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
/ 9