Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
GOVERNOR LAUDS ASHALAYM EFFORTS FOR STREET CHILDREN

C.M. Paul sdb

KOLKATA, SAR News, 21 December -- "Institutions like Don Bosco Ashalayam make me feel proud as the Governor of this state," said West Bengal State Governor, Mr. Viren J. Shah, inaugurating the 23rd Ashalayam home for street children.

Alighting from his state car, street children mobbed the governor with their show of affection clinging on to both his hands. "They hung on to every one of the fingers, that I had to be content to let dignitaries shake my arm," said the Governor in his impromptu speech.

"I tell other schools that we need to learn how facilities can be utilized for benefit of deprived children," said West Bengal Minister of State for Youth Affairs, Technical Education, Self-Employment and Minority, Shri Mohammed Salim.

"I am sorry that Mayor is not here," said Shri Salim, "so that he could see for himself and make available more corporation facilities for similar work for street children."

"True to its name Asha Nayan (Hopeful Eyes) will open the eyes of people to go beyond petty narrowness and do something positive," said the minister in-charge of all the departments concerned with the Don Bosco Youth Empowerment.

Kochi and Bangalore Municipal Corporations work alongside Don Bosco in street children’s rehabilitation programme.

Claiming his 15-year connection with Don Bosco, Shri Sovondeb Chottopadhyay, local MLA (Member of the Legislative Assembly) said commenting the Salesians and their collaborators " I feel proud to be one of them, working for the poor street children and destitute."

Local Municipal Counsellor Mrs. Nabi praised the efforts of Ashalyam which chose the place Linton Street "where 75% of people live in dingy and dark lanes".

Ninety nine percent of the population of this neighbourhood is Muslim," said Mr. Sen Gupta a computer supplier and well wisher of Ashalayam, who donated refreshments on the occasion.

Of 23 Ashalayms in Calcutta, Howrah and Nadia districts sheltering some 500 and serving another 2,000 children in the streets and Howrah and Sealdah railway stations, four centres are for girl children. The Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians, Holy Family Sisters of Bhagalpur and Sisters of Providence (SOP) look after them.

There are over 60 Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) trying to reachout to an estimated 100,000 (one lakh) street children in Kolkta. One such NGO founded in 1985 is Don Bosco Ashalyam (Hope Home). It has over 300 children who pursue studies in regular schools like St. Lawrence Ballygunj and St Peter’s Moulali. While several children have returned home, some 80 boys are employed in various sectors, some 45 have purchased their own plots of land. Another 30 have built their own houses and 24 have married and settled down.

Archbishop Lucas Sirkar, SDB of Kolkata blessed the facility in the presence of Salesian Provincial Fr. John Berger.

Twenty fourth Ashalayam, called Asha Nirmala, fifth shelter for girls will be opened later in January 2003

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
163 India 0454_WEST INDIAN EARTHQUAKE SALESIAN UPDATE 362
162 India 0455_LETTER OF THE PROVINCIAL OF MUMBAI - 3 331
161 India 0458_FIRST SALESIAN INDIAN PROVINCIAL CHAPTER OF 21ST CENTURY 490
160 India 0460_SALESIAN RELIEF NETWORK: A LETTER FROM THE RELIEF CAMP 367
159 India 0468_TWO SDBs ELECTED LEADERS OF INDIAN COMMUNICATION BODIES 432
158 India 0474_Centre Picks Bombay Salesian for Social Communications 406
157 India 0475_CALCUTTA STUDENTS KEEP THEIR CITY CLEAN 296
156 India 0478_India - Three Salesians shot dead in Imphal 459
155 India 0604_CALCUTTA PROVINCE GIVES ARCHBISHOP, BISHOP AND GENERAL COUNCILLOR IN 20 DAYS 458
154 India 0607_DON BOSCO'S MADONNA IS NOW ONLINE 559
153 India 0610_Three Salesian Archbishops ordain SDB Platinum Jubilee Bishop 503
152 India 0611_FR. JOHN BERGER THE NEW PROVINCIAL OF THE SALESIAN PROVINCE OF KOLKATA 470
151 India 0615_CONGRATULATIONS TO MUMBAI PROVINCE FOR THEIR E-ZINE INITIATIVE. 433
150 India 0632_DIWALI - A CELEBRATION OF RENEWAL - SALESIANS 155
149 India 0633_Work on Intimacy written 332
148 India 0635_'BEHOLD THE WOMAN' GETS PAPAL AWARD 364
147 India 0639_THE NEW PROVINCIAL OF THE SALESIAN PROVINCE OF NEW DELHI 360
146 India 0641_COMMUNICATION FOR BEHAVIOUR CHANGE 240
» India 0645_GOVERNOR LAUDS ASHALAYM EFFORTS FOR STREET CHILDREN 481
144 India 0647_NITIKA Silver Jubilee 580
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
/ 9