NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
SO - WHERE ARE WE AT?

Well for a start, the Archbishop of Adelaide (South Australia) dropped a line wanting to congratulate our new Rector Major on his appointment, and needed to know how to contact him.  There are many readers of 'austraLasia' who like to just keep a watching brief on things Salesian, obviously, and who appreciate the work done by the Congregation in their 'neck of the woods'. (I am aware that this newsletter goes out to those for whom the Australian patois - we call it Standard English - may sound a little odd!)
But where are we at in Rome, you ask?.  With just days to go to the conclusion there are many factors involved - final voting on commission documents, of course.  Commission #6 has proposals to finalize other than its own final document.  Then there are messages that have to go out to one or other group in the name of the Chapter.
Commission work generally is proceeding 'according to Hoyle' i.e. as expected.  #6 has had its particular issues voted on, viz, the inclusion of the Economer General in Reg 24 - voted in by a large majority; the matter of the mid-term Provincial Chapter - voted down by a large enough majority.  This means effectively (I think; please correct me if needs be) that Provinces feel quite up to the task within existing provision to organize the mid-term Chapter as they see fit; a review of processes for the General Chapter by the General Council - a solid 'yes' vote. (Well done, #6!).
As for messages from the Assembly to various bodies:
TO CIVIL AND RELIGIOUS AUTHORITIES: stresses the call of the Salesians to be advocates for the young, especially the poorest, most abandoned and exploited. It calls upon civil and religious leaders to invest in the education of young people to ensure a future for humanity.  Yet to be finlaly voted upon, but in all probablility will be give the thumbs up.
TO MEMBERS OF THE SALESIAN FAMILY: in response to questions they had of the Chapter, and offering information about the new structures in their regard given the earlier decisions to place the SF under the Vicar.
THE SALESIAN BROTHER: this is a question to be asked rather than a decision made at this stage.  Given the focus on the consecrated lifestlye vis-a-vis beatification of Art. Zatti, is such a statement required?
THE YOUTH OF THE WORLD:  as above - is such a statement very much in order given the widespread publicity given to issues where young people are the subject of abuse, dislocation etc.
With just two days to go, there is much work ahead!!