Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1504

Joseph Cardinal Zen: a 'Study in Scarlet'

ROME (Pisana): 25th March 2006 --  "The ring, man, the ring: that was what he came back for. If we have no other way of catching him, we can always bait our line with the ring. I shall have him, Doctor -- I'll lay you two to one that I have him. I must thank you for it all. I might not have gone but for you, and so have missed the finest study I ever came across: a study in scarlet." Thus spake Sherlock Holmes, in the story by that name, 'Study in Scarlet'.  I normally skip supper at the Pisana, and 'might not have gone' but for the visit of our Cardinal.  And indeed, the ring was a thing of wonder,  newly bestowed today by Pope Benedict XVI.  Fr Savio, Provincial of China Province, has a photo of it taken during this evening's meal - at least I think he has, as he was busy photographing the Cardinal's finger!  At least it gave austraLasia the chance to catch the man we had missed earlier.
    Joseph Cardinal Zen was amongst his own - and what an historic occasion it was, when you reflect on it.  Many members of his family, of his Salesian family, a childhood friend too, joined the Successor of Don Bosco and the Cardinal for Evening Prayer followed by a 'supper' of Chinese proportions, if you get what I mean.  The courses were beyond count.  But you don't want to hear about the food, the ring - you want to know what he said and what was said of him.
    Three minute Good Nights are an art form.  Cardinal Zen used artistic license to extend the time, but still kept the art.  One immediately appreciated the Salesian pedigree of this man.  You can read the rest in the daily papers - his poor childhood, his father who wanted to be a priest but as a first generation Catholic couldn't...the five Masses each Sunday....but 'the papers' won't give you the Salesian pedigree: Don Braga (a true founder in his own right: China, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Japan, East Timor...they all come either directly or indirectly from that man), Don Massiminio his novice master, Don Quadrio at the Crocetta (not to mention Don Bertetto and others); then his time in a Chinese Province that was growing so rapidly it could have become two - then the war, the poverty, the expulsions, ....his eventual period as Provincial then teacher in Chinese seminaries - 'a veritable grace of God', then his nine years already guiding the Hong Kong Church, and now ' the Pope's choice confused me, until I came to accept that it is on behalf of the Chinese people'.
    What sort of a man do we have here?  If the French Revolution proclaimed Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité, this man's rallying cry is Liberty (as a Chinese), Education (as a Salesian), Church (as a Bishop and now Cardinal).  More than once he spoke of the passing of winter and the coming of spring - in China. 'Now seems the time', he mused, and urged us to pray for religious freedom in China.  He made the none-too-subtle point that it is not just the Church which needs relations with the Chinese Government, but 'it is the Government which needs relations with the Church, otherwise it cannot of its own accord handle the surge of religious longing' that is going on in China.  A point well made.
    The Rector Major toasted His Eminence a little later during supper, first with 'Cardinal Mendoza', but then with the gift of a small (but very heavy) bronze statue of Don Bosco surrounded by youngsters, a 'reminder of our return to the young'.  He recalled his own emotion at the mention of Don Braga, but also from his recent visit to China.  He recalled another 'cup', the cup of martyrdom and indeed the chalice given by Don Albera to St. Louis Versiglia who, on its receipt, said he would fill it, if not with his blood then with sweat.  He filled it with both.
    The Cardinal spoke briefly after this gift.  Yes, there is the dream of Don Bosco, he said, and he knew that Don Bosco had seen this moment too.  But he then reminded us that he had also chosen a 'dream of Don Bosco' for his episcopal coat of arms (you will find it on the Bosconet Home Page, scroll down): the two columns and the anchor of hope.
    His final words give us a glimpse of the man, his Sherlock Holmes touch, when you come to think of it.  He had dealt regularly with Fr.Viganò when he was teaching in China.  At one point  Fr Viganò said to him, 'Sai, che la furbizia è una virtù salesiana'.  'You know, shrewdness is a Salesian virtue'!  In  'Study of Scarlet', Doctor Watson makes this comment, as he picks up a magazine from the famous detective's table while the latter was munching his toast and marmalade: "Its somewhat ambitious title was 'The Book of Life', and it attempted to show how much an observant man might learn by an accurate and systematic examination of all that came in his way. It struck me as being a remarkable mixture of shrewdness and of absurdity".  Indeed!  Zen and Holmes have something in common methinks

GLOSSARY
Cardinal Mendoza: a superb Spanish brandy.  It is said that it is the one 'cardinal' which does harm to nobody!

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
133 RMG 2075_More GC26 resources for those who wish to follow things closely 313
132 RMG 2074_GC26: The humourist - there's one (or more) in every bunch! 466
131 RMG 2072_"There is a part of the history of the Church we are called upon to make": Cardinal Poletto to GC26 members in Turin 522
130 RMG 2071_GC26: Piedmontese dialect and fog are original - and Giraudo's insights are a reminder of the rest! 448
129 RMG 2969_Chapter theme 'goes public' via RM's response to the 'educational emergency' 557
128 RMG 1652_137th Missionary expedition - EAO both giving and taking 532
127 RMG 1574_Rector Major applauds East Timor's Salesians for 'formidable approach' to their people in need 559
126 RMG 1513_1st April - let's not be foolish; let's face up to some wicked problems instead 581
» RMG 1504_Joseph Cardinal Zen: a 'Study in Scarlet' 393
124 RMG 1466_Studying the Rector Major's thinking: a new resource for you to try 268
123 RMG 1436_"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist......." 518
122 RMG 1410_The changing map of the Salesian world, and thanking God for the gift of Don Bosco 546
121 RMG 1376_Strenna DVD - what's the story? 281
120 RMG 1318_A 'Good Night' to remember on 'the month that was' 238
119 RMG 1268_Mamma Margaret gives Good Night at the Pisana 288
118 RMG 1224_Guidelines released for Salesian Studies in initial formation 257
117 RMG 1220_Strenna 2006 and other useful support materials now available 218
116 RMG 1142_SELECT v. 1.0 now available on a computer near you 277
115 RMG 1106_5 CARDINALS SDB GATHER AT UPS 333
114 RMG 1046_RM's 'centenary' swing: from Guadalajara to all-India 297
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
/ 11