Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia #2097

I had a dream...

R   ROME (or is it Paradise?): 17th March 2008 -- "We were all in Paradise. How happy I was to see everyone there enjoying the eternal beatitudes. Taking advantage of the moment, we got down to talking about the situation in the Congregation. Suddenly, a 'simple confrère' came up to us. But as he got closer I saw that... it was Don Bosco. He was laughing:
Bravo, my dear confrères. You've just succeeded in doing to your confreres what some priests in Turin never succeeded in doing to me”.
Really? What are you trying to say?”, the Moderator asked him.
My dear friend, with all your GC26 guidelines, you've succeeded in sending half the confrères to the looney bin”.
But Don Bosco, some needed to be challenged!”
Our father smiled. “All that was needed was a drawing of the Good Shepherd with seven guidelines”.

How do you mean, Don Bosco?”
Sure, I mean one guidelines for each member of the body:
One for the heart: a fervent return to loving-kindness.
A second one for the eyes: opening them to the reality of young people and the world.
A third one for the ears: getting them onto the same wavelength as the little ones, the least, in order to hear their cry.
A fourth one for the hands: opening them up to give, and especally to receive help from all the young people, all the lay people who are ready to give a hand.
The fifth for the mouth: to proclaim your joy and to decry every human injustice without compromise!
The sixth for the feet: in order to wander around the areas where young people and others entrusted to us are.

We were astounded by the audacity and simplicity of it all. Don Bosco continued:

The seventh... never forget it, yes, the backside..... so confrères will learn to sit down and share amongst themselves.

But.... Don Bosco.... this can't be a serious plan!”
But that's just the point. It's because you are all trying to be so serious that you are losing both credibility and effectiveness! Seven guidelines and the Good Shepherd, that's what I'm trying to tell you! That's enough for you to be convinced and enthusiastic about going back home!” Then he added, jokingly: “and for those of you who still enjoy a full head of hair, comb it ... don't look like me in my photos”.
I was enchanted by all this and asked him, “And prayer, Don Dosco?” He looked at me, amazed:

But Daniel, I couldn't have done anything I did without nourishing my body with the Christ's body and his word”.
Then he said, “You should have gone back to this Chapter with these seven guidelines ... and a hankerchief as a reminder!”

A handkerchief?”
Yes, a handkerchief! Remember what I did with one in my hands, speaking about obedience?... Obedience to the constitutions! The handkerchief would have been useful for consoling confrères crying about their lot and for stuffing into the mouth of those who speak badly about their other confrères”.
At this point we heard a voice crying out from a distance: “Don Bosco!”

Ooh, it's Mary Help of Christians. She and I are still working together. Excuse me!”

This is my dream. I'm not interested in whether you believe me or not. I just wanted to tell you about it".

The above is an intervention in the Aula Magna by Fr Daniel Federspiel (FRA).  Brilliant, is it not?  And they're wondering if the Chapter document might have some sort of 'narrative' feel about it?  One couldn't do much better than include this one!

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com . Use Bosconet-wiki to be interactive. RSS feeds - just go to Bosconet, click on austraLasia 2008 in the sidebar. You will see the RSS orange icon in your browser address bar - add it from there.  Avail yourself of the Salesian Digital Library at at http://sdl.sdb.org

Title: australasia 2097
Subject and key words: SDB General GC26
Date (year): 2008
ID: 2000-2099|2097

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
153 RMG 2101_Evangelisation - a central yet demanding work requiring the light of the Holy Spirit 964
152 RMG 2100_Translation, interpretation.... and just getting the thing right in the end! 388
151 RMG 2098_Chapter dithers, Chapter decides - and coordination is a key word 475
» RMG 2097_I had a dream... 275
149 RMG 2095_DOUBLE-WHAMMY! Card. Bertone - Rector Major 326
148 RMG 2094_Chapter ramblings 308
147 RMG 2092_GC26 commissions and their progress 546
146 RMG 2091_PNG Missionary defends thesis on narrative portrayal of Jesus as Shepherd in Matthew's Gospel 329
145 RMG 2090_"We would like to make complete the face of Don Bosco" 438
144 RMG 2087_Chapter's 'memo' to RM accepted with gratitude 387
143 RMG 2086_First phase coming to a close: regional study of RM's report 426
142 RMG 2085_GC26: A smooth and very effective process seems to be in place 556
141 RMG 2083_After the heady moments of yesterday, Chapter goes to work - in a new way 581
140 RMG 2082_GC26 formally opened 572
139 RMG 2081_'Charismatic explosion'? 270
138 RMG 2080_Moments (and places) of Salesian interest 446
137 RMG 2079_GC26: At last, some solid documentation 570
136 RMG 2078_Journo juggles more than sneaking respect for DB's charism with editorial demands 415
135 RMG 2077_Don Bosco Educator, Spiritual Master, Writer and Founder of the Salesian Society 490
134 RMG 2076_Passion, and the spirituality of our charism 464
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
/ 11