?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

Subject: 'austraLasia' # 349

LETTER FROM ROME

Carlos Escobar

ROME: 5th June -- Dear Fr. Julian. I have come to the SDB General House in Rome as part of the World Council of the Cooperators. I'm the only one representing Australia and the Pacific Islands. The Salesian presence in Oceania has been positively affirmed to me by many members of the SDB General Council, in particular Fr Odorico. Well done!

The meeting has been attended by 165 people representing more than 25 different groups (21 officially recognised as part of the world-wide Salesian Family). They are the top governing bodies of each group and include a number of religious congregations and some interesting new lay associations and groups. Of course the traditional groups are well represented, SDB, FMA, Cooperators, VDB, past pupils from both SDB and FMA. The expression of the richness of the Salesian Spirit can't be argued. It's been a remarkable discovery for me to meet the new (and young) members of the SF and those aspiring to join.

Very interesting examples of young lay people expressing their commitment to the mission in the style of Don Bosco have been presented: new secular institutes, consecrated lay, lay communities, lay and religious groups, lay associations of the other Salesian congregations with their own identity and concrete fields of mission. The spectrum is vast ... a sign of a very dynamic Spirit.

We have read and commented on the draft of the forthcoming document titled "The Charter of Mission of the Salesian Family" which will be a shared reference for the entire SF. The lay people have also met and discuss how we can share a common vision and presence in society as lay Salesians. There are many common elements that join us together: Don Bosco's charism and misison, the figure of the Rector Major, the Salesian Spirituality, the Preventive System, and fields of evangelisation that fit our lay condition: the arts, communication and media, education, economic and social development and politics.

It's been great to meet so many new friends and catch up with many that I haven't seen for many years. The only problem is remembering which group each person belongs to, but it shouldn't matter as long as we all feel part of the missionary family of Don Bosco.

Take care and I pray that things will improve in Fiji.

God bless.

Carlos Escobar

Salesian Cooperator