NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 913

SAMOA (AUL):  Rector Major's 'stolen heart'!

APIA (Samoa): 19th-20th October ´04  -- "As Don Bosco told his boys....'You are thieves too,you have stolen my heart.!'  You have stolen my heart with your beautiful songs and dances.  It is not possible to experience this in any other part of the world!  You are unique!'  This was how Fr Pascual Chávez reacted to the students at Don Bosco Technical Centre, Alafua in the heart of Polynesia, Samoa.
    The journey from Australia took the Rector Major and his small team briefly through New Zealand and Tonga en route.  After but a few hours rest, he was amongst the Salesians, students, families and local authorities at Alafua for the blessing of the foundation stone of what will be the new multipurpose hall at the school.  The event was televised for the nation.
    Fr Chávez told the large crowd that he was 'at home' in Samoa.  He had already learned two most important words, Talofa (welcome, hello) and Faafetai (Thank you), and he brought to them the smile and heart of Don Bosco.  He then gave them, especially the young people present, Don Bosco´s 'secret of happiness' in three lines: The gift of life - Your deal is to discover your dream, your vocation, your mission in life´.  The gift of education - 'everything that helps you to grow.  It is sad to see millions of youth around the world living without meaning'.  The gift of faith -´'I have this, my small cross (showing it) because Jesus gave his life for me.  He won victory over death.  To believe God loves me is the faith.'
    Later Fr. Chávez had lunch with the Salesian community and then spent some hours with the novices.  This will be a separate report.
'austraLasia' is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia-Pacific.  It functions also as an agency for ANS, based in Rome.  Try also www.bosconet.aust.com  'Progetto' is a most important word in Salesian discourse.  What does it actually mean - plan, project, something else? For further comment cf. Lexisdb

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
113 RMG 1043_New Formation Community and Study Center in Jerusalem 315
112 RMG 1002_Face to face: Don Bosco and the Rector Major in lively dialogue 526
111 RMG 0942_An English, Salesian-adapted style guide for your use 554
110 RMG 0940_The afterglow: some comments by young people on the RM's visit 233
109 RMG 0928_RM glad to be beginning visit to Japan on Feast of Don Rua 186
108 RMG 0920_Availability of English language Salesian literature 367
107 RMG 0915_WHEN IS FORMATION PROFESSIONAL? 644
» RMG 0913_SAMOA (AUL): Rector Major's 'stolen heart'! 522
105 RMG 0911_RM to AUL youth leaders: 'Let's build a better world!' 173
104 RMG 0879_New missionaries 2004: Half from or to East Asia-Oceania 553
103 RMG 0874_Social Communications: key intervention by RM - 'think with the Church'. 244
102 RMG 0839_CSi: The first million word corpus is complete 236
101 RMG 0835_Past Pupils: The Telling Power of Youth and Experience 325
100 RMG 0834_The Rector Major asked for a dream.... 338
99 RMG 0822_Fr. Chavez unpublished: an anniversary reflection 326
98 RMG 0819_Greetings and wishes of a nice day! 487
97 RMG 0773_FR. LUC VAN LOOY APPOINTED AS BISHOP OF GHENT (Belgium) 214
96 RMG 0763_SDB WEBSITE/ANS INVITATION TO EAST ASIA-OCEANIA READERS TO CONNECT 417
95 RMG 0750_ COMMON MISSION STATEMENT - FR VECCHI 465
94 RMG 0749_NEW RESOURCE: BIBLIOGRAPHIES OF SALESIAN STUDIES IN ENGLISH 414
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
/ 11