PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

I've been off-air for 24 hours but it was Sunday in Rome they tell me, so not too much was likely to happen.  I was off-air because here in Fiji I had to visit some trainee teachers on the job in a rural school where the internet has not yet been heard of, though I did notice the kids picking up coconuts floating in from the sea and looking for bottles with messages in them!

FR. LUC'S CONDITION

Briefly, the main problem appears to be a fractured femur (hip bone) which is in traction with an operation due today (Monday 4th).  One probably can't say 'resting comfortably' of that condition.  Prognosis is several weeks in hospital, or at least laid up.

GC25 PRESIDENCY

The canonists have been at work and as one correspondent reminded me 'precedent' may not be an important concept in Roman law.  A practical solution is, however: Fr. Martinelli as the oldest member of the Gen Council will deliver the state of the congregation address.  By the time you get this the Assembly in Rome will just be thinking about gathering for that delivery (Fiji is on the 180 degree meridian so it's easy to calculate what time it is in Greenwich, then Rome).

THE GOOD NIGHTS

One of the best parts of Chapters (at least this was my experience once) is the Good Nights.  That's formation too!  Interesting Good Night by Mario Murru of the Middle East Province: here's a quick snapshot:  130 confreres in 15 communities from 8 countries, most of these countries offering one or other problem of political or religious instability.  Don Bosco had roving oratories when he started - ME has a roving novitiate!  4 novices presently and 18 in initial formation.

This year ME celebrates its centenary and Cremisan, something of a jewel in the crown in many ways, its diamond jubillee.  37 students from 17 countries (from far and wide - East Timor, for instance, Mexico too) representing 12 provinces.  That is some feat.

This year a community will open in Iraq.