Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print
austraLasia 1658

Spain's El Pais notes DB Poipet's role in fighting child exploitation

MADRID: 30th September 2006 --  Spain's widest-circulation Daily, El Pais, ran an article on 9th September on the situation in Cambodia relating to the exploitation of children. Columnist Lola Huetes Machado analyses the problems which involve children in a range of exploitative activities by adults, often close relatives or friends and also tourists.  She included in her process of consultation and research the Don Bosco Shelter for trafficked and street children in Poipet.
    According to the El Pais report, there are some 4 million women and 2 million children worldwide caught up in a network of trafficking, and Cambodia is one of the most vulnerable locations in that phenomenon.  Quoting a Salesian who shares responsibility for the Poipet DB Shelter, the article says that "mafias look for children in the villages, promise money to parents (that never comes), and the children are lost forever".  A number of children from the Shelter were interviewed by El Pais.  The interviews hint at the situation, the veritable 'slavery' faced by so many children: "I used to ask for money in Bangkok with my mother, and sometimes we worked on construction sites but she died", said a 7-year-old girl at the Centre. A 15-year-old boy relates that "The police arrested me in Bangkok. I was in prison with many adults. I used to sell sweets that my owner gave me".  Another boy, 14, says that "We worked with some men. I didn't know my parents. I used to sell flowers in Bangkok. If I did not bring money they put me in a tank of water. A woman called the police.  They knew I was Cambodian and brought me here".
    Cambodia has become a paradise for the wrong kind of tourism, notes El Pais, a reputation that the Government, international organisations and local communities try to fight. Don Bosco Poipet is one of them but not alone.  It networks with many of the other organisations fighting Cambodia's most serious evil.

AustraLasia is an email service for the Salesian Family of Asia Pacific.  It also functions as an agency for ANS based in Rome.  For queries please contact admin@bosconet.aust.com  Try out BoscoWiki to be interactive.  For RSS feeds, subscribe to www.bosconet.aust.com/RSS/rssala.xm A separate service entirely is called F/OSSERVATORE to help us keep abreast of trends in the digital world.

List of Articles
No. Category Subject Views
178 World 2136_Kangaroo Kibbutz leaps and bounds ahead of Sachne 394
177 World 1716_Cimatti letters heading for final CD publication 392
» World 1658_Spain's El Pais notes DB Poipet's role in fighting child exploitation 389
175 World 3252_The VDB concludes their 7th General Assembly 388
174 World 0694_LIBERIA: INSIDE VIEW FROM AN NGO 387
173 World 2257_1,000 heads are better than one: now it's over to you! 385
172 World 1110_Joy or sadness: Fr Herrera takes 2nd prize in international photo competition 385
171 World 1785_The Gospel According to Judas, by Benjamin Iscariot, by Jeffrey Archer and Francis J Moloney 384
170 World 0646_NEW BISHOP OF KABANGKALAN (PHILIPPINES) 384
169 World 0111_DUPUIS INVESTIGATION SHOCKS CALCUTTA JESUITS: 383
168 World 1917_Postscript to a symposium - and dealing with docx! 383
167 World 0384_The death of Fr. Michael Egan S.D.B 382
166 World 0996_DBN: close on a million dollars distributed in aid 379
165 World 2426_Starting again - with a sure and beautifully produced guide 379
164 World 0335_NEW WORLD CATHOLIC MEDIA BODY PROPOSED 379
163 World 2254_Interesting 'twins': Salesian College 'Rupertswood', Sunbury, Australia and Liceo Prati, Trento, Italy 379
162 World 1073_Take a break - have a chit-chat with...the Past Pupils of Don Bosco 378
161 World 1869_Ready for a little (very useful) learning? Try it with Strenna 2008 378
160 World 0997_Cimatti cause gains boost from Tokyo postulator's visit 377
159 World 2187_Fr Braga (China and the Philippines) on the road to the altars 377
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... 35 Next
/ 35